PDA

View Full Version : Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Bullaholic
08-17-2006, 10:23 AM
My kids have been out of school for many years, but I was just wondering if FCA membership is still permitted at schools in light of the current political times and emphasis on separation of church and state. I sure hope it is.

Adidas410s
08-17-2006, 10:26 AM
It was there as of at least 2001 and I assume that it still is. Case Keenum's dad left his HC/AD job at McMurry a few years ago to head the Big Country FCA program so I'm assuming it's still around.

kaorder1999
08-17-2006, 10:28 AM
FCA is still going strong!!

Old Tiger
08-17-2006, 03:23 PM
We had FCA at Rockdale.

I Bleed Red08
08-17-2006, 04:44 PM
yah im still in school and i went to a FCA Leadership camp in College Station this summer it was really fun and there were alot of kids there

crzyjournalist03
08-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I thought most FCAs were run primarily by students...if that's true, then I don't think that schools would be able to prohibit them since there's not teachers actually "teaching" about Christianity.

I Bleed Red08
08-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I thought most FCAs were run primarily by students...if that's true, then I don't think that schools would be able to prohibit them since there's not teachers actually "teaching" about Christianity. Well i know mine is lol thats y me and two other people from my school went to the leadership camp

Cameron Crazy
08-17-2006, 05:04 PM
We still do it in Graham!! Its a great program.

garageoffice
08-17-2006, 05:18 PM
FCA seems to be changing in some places...some schools no longer have a Fellowship of Christian Athletes, but instead call it Fellowship of Christian Anybodies. Now, I understand the desire to not exclude people, but I thought FCA was originally conceived to give athletes a place to gather and learn about, discuss, experience Christianity through shared experiences and to invite their non-believing athlete friends.

IMO, the more we try to make anything general enough for everyone to be involved, the less likely some people are to want to participate. That's why we have specialty organizations in the first place, right?

crzyjournalist03
08-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
FCA seems to be changing in some places...some schools no longer have a Fellowship of Christian Athletes, but instead call it Fellowship of Christian Anybodies. Now, I understand the desire to not exclude people, but I thought FCA was originally conceived to give athletes a place to gather and learn about, discuss, experience Christianity through shared experiences and to invite their non-believing athlete friends.

IMO, the more we try to make anything general enough for everyone to be involved, the less likely some people are to want to participate. That's why we have specialty organizations in the first place, right?

I think you really have to consider what defines an athlete if that's the direction you want to go. First off, is it varsity only, or do you count JV? Do you count cheerleaders or drill teams as athletes?

I'm not saying I disagree...I just think that as a general rule that's why you don't see such strict guidelines anymore...you don't want to tell certain people they're not athletes while others are.

Fletch
08-17-2006, 05:39 PM
We're having the Celina team and coaches at our house for an FCA hamburger dinner tomorrow night.

SWMustang
08-17-2006, 05:40 PM
I agree in most instances we try to be too accomodating and allow everyone to participate, but this is the FCA - a Christian themed organization. I think the barndoors should be wide open.

Cameron Crazy
08-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by SWMustang
I agree in most instances we try to be too accomodating and allow everyone to participate, but this is the FCA - a Christian themed organization. I think the barndoors should be wide open. lol barndoors!:clap:

tigerpride_08
08-17-2006, 06:59 PM
we still have it...