PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Bowen the last cut on the Team USA Roster

Adidas410s
08-17-2006, 10:05 AM
SEOUL, South Korea -- Bruce Bowen was the final player cut from the U.S. basketball team, which begins play in the World Championships in Japan on Saturday.

The final 12-man roster was announced Wednesday by USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo and coach Mike Krzyzewski and included Carmelo Anthony, Shane Battier, Chris Bosh, Elton Brand, Kirk Hinrich, Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Antawn Jamison, Joe Johnson, Brad Miller, Chris Paul and Dwyane Wade.

When Bowen, who plays for San Antonio and is one of the top defensive players in the league, was selected to be part of the national team roster, Colangelo and Krzyzewski singled him out as the type of role player the U.S. squad had been lacking in recent poor international showings.

But Bowen scored just four points while playing four of the five tuneup games and had been outplayed by Battier, another defensive-minded small forward who made the cut.

After Gilbert Arenas dropped out with a strained groin earlier in the week, that all but assured a spot for Chicago's Hinrich because the team needed another point guard behind rookie of the year Paul.

Bowen and Arenas remain part of the national team program and are still in the pool of players who will compete for spot on the 2008 Olympic team.

"This has been a great process. It's difficult especially when you get down to the end because you get so attached to the last members of the team. Gilbert and Bruce are every bit a part of this team as the 12 others guys. It's just we can only go forward with 12," Krzyzewski said.

The average age of the 12 U.S. players is 24½ years old, with the 30-year-old Miller the oldest member of the team. Howard, at 20, is the youngest.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Sweetwater Red
08-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I heard this yesterday. Arenas had an injury so there was only
one player that would have to be cut. I kinda feel bad for Bowen.

Phil C
08-17-2006, 11:04 AM
:( :confused: :mad:

AggieJohn
08-17-2006, 11:26 AM
bad cut in my opinion

Gobbler Fan
08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
They had to keep Heinrich *sp* he was the only PG left as a backup .Bowen play's great D but you have to score too when you're trying to make a team and the level of competition is that high.

neck_06
08-17-2006, 11:33 AM
what happened to Reddick and Morrison being on the team?

AggieJohn
08-17-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
what happened to Reddick and Morrison being on the team? they were cut before left for overseas

3afan
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM
i think Bowen is one of the more over-rated players in the NBA ... I 'love' the way he plants his foot under guys' feet who is going up, especially on 3 pointers --- not nice at all

just my opinion so no need for anyone to get all nutso

Bandera YaYa
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
i think Bowen is one of the more over-rated players in the NBA ... I 'love' the way he plants his foot under guys' feet who is going up, especially on 3 pointers --- not nice at all

just my opinion so no need for anyone to get all nutso Well, it's just my opinion that your opinion stinks!!! Ha! Feel bad for Bowen, but glad he won't be out there risking injury, cuz the Spurs are gonna need him to be 100%.....GO SPURS GO!!!! I hope team USA does well, but it always pays to have some veterans aboard, as the Spurs have found out in past years!! Besides, I don't really care about those international games, more interested in being the NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!!.

BOWEN IS THE BOMB!! BOWEN IS THE BOMB!! :D :D

Maroon87
08-17-2006, 03:12 PM
I'm just amazed that a guy known for defense actually made it to the last cut. Usually a guy like that wouldn't even get an invite.

Sweetwater Red
08-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I'm just amazed that a guy known for defense actually made it to the last cut. Usually a guy like that wouldn't even get an invite.

Ben Wallace did.

luvhoops34
08-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Bruce Bowen is an awsome defensive player!

Ditto on him going home now before he got hurt. The Spurs need him too much!

GO SPURS GO!!