PDA

View Full Version : Rangers Upset With Padilla

Adidas410s
08-17-2006, 09:40 AM
Make sure you catch the quote by Angels manager Mike Scioscia where he says beanballs wouldn't be part of any retaliation.

ARLINGTON -- The Rangers have been in communication with the Commissioner's Office and are preparing for a suspension for pitcher Vicente Padilla after being ejected from Tuesday's game against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
A decision from MLB vice president Bob Watson is expected in the next day or two. The Rangers aren't happy about the situation and almost all of their displeasure is being directed at Padilla.

"I was disappointed with how things unfolded," general manager Jon Daniels said. "We've got a lot on the line here. Our guys have put themselves in a position to contend and for something to get in the way of that is disappointing."

The situation started unfolding Tuesday when Padilla hit Vladimir Guerrero with a pitch in the third inning. One inning later, he faced Guerrero again and came high and inside with a pitch that drew a warning from home-plate umpire Hunter Wendelstedt.

Guerrero then hit a three-run home run. Padilla got Garret Anderson to line out but then hit Juan Rivera with a pitch and was ejected along with manager Buck Showalter.

Showalter, who expects a one-game suspension for himself over the incident, met with Padilla before Wednesday's game and made it clear that he was not happy with what happened.

"Believe me, we're not casting anything lightly," Showalter said. "Our conversation was pointed. One thing is we needed him out there pitching.

"Obviously, everybody from the Angels to the Yankees, everybody has to pitch inside. That's part of his success, but sometimes you can go over the edge."

Padilla does not talk to the media, but his teammates weren't happy with him either. Catcher Rod Barajas said he had no idea what Padilla was doing.

"I don't know; that's my honest-to-God answer," Barajas said. "There was nothing that was talked about beforehand. I know you guys can't do this, but you have to go ask him.

"I'm disappointed because I know there will be repercussions. You would hope people would think what the consequences are before they put their team in jeopardy, especially at this time of year. We're fighting for our life and now we won't be at full strength."

Showalter talked to Angels manager Mike Scioscia before Wednesday's game about the situation. But the Angels were still upset about the second incident between two teams in less than two weeks. Adam Eaton was ejected from the last game in Anaheim for throwing behind Anderson.

Asked about his players, Scioscia said, "They're disturbed as we're disturbed. But we're going to play baseball. I don't know what message was trying to be conveyed, but it's something that there's no need for."

Asked about retaliation, Scioscia said, "Retaliation with a baseball is not part of our package. There are other ways to express things. But our resolve is firm that we are not about beanballs."

Maroon87
08-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Well they didn't throw beanballs, but they did retaliate. I guess Scioscia changed his mind.:thinking:

GreenMonster
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
This is exactly why Buck Showalter will never win big. Vincente Padilla, on the other hand, just lit a fire deep in the belly of his Ranger teammates. Management needs to shut up and ride this wave. This is the time for emotion and the time to make a statement. "Don't tread on me." is the statement Vincente Padilla was sending and his teammates have responded. Let's just hope they can keep the fire burning through the end of the year. It's part of the game and a necessary evil to have that swagger that a team must have to play into October. Besides, there were no injuries except maybe a few hurt feelings. I like the way it went down. The Rangers had smiles on their faces and the Angels were angry. I think it really boosted the morale of the Rangers and really hurt the morale of the Angels. We'll see how it plays out, but I think it was the right thing for THIS team. Vincente Padilla, I applaud you. I love that sullen demeanor you take to the mound with you and the blue collar efforts you repeatedly produce.

Adidas410s
08-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Well they didn't throw beanballs, but they did retaliate. I guess Scioscia changed his mind.:thinking:

Yeah they did. Gregg threw behind Kinsler and then drilled Young in the back so him and Scioscia were ejected. The next pitch Donnally comes in and drills another guy and him and the bench coach are ejected! Sounds like a beanball to me!

Maroon87
08-17-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Yeah they did. Gregg threw behind Kinsler and then drilled Young in the back so him and Scioscia were ejected. The next pitch Donnally comes in and drills another guy and him and the bench coach are ejected! Sounds like a beanball to me!

I wouldn't consider those beanballs but they were definitely purpose pitches. Of course I'm kinda splitting hairs here but they usually both result in a big scrum, whatever you call them.:devil:

I wish Oswalt had drilled Zambrano the other night after he pretty obviously hit Aubrey Huff on purpose.

eagles_victory
08-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87

I wish Oswalt had drilled Zambrano the other night after he pretty obviously hit Aubrey Huff on purpose. He knew if Zambrano charged the mound he would of killed him so he didnt do it.

Maroon87
08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
He knew if Zambrano charged the mound he would of killed him so he didnt do it.

I have a feeling that didn't factor into it. Probably a signal from the dugout.

Adidas410s
08-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
This is exactly why Buck Showalter will never win big. Vincente Padilla, on the other hand, just lit a fire deep in the belly of his Ranger teammates. Management needs to shut up and ride this wave. This is the time for emotion and the time to make a statement. "Don't tread on me." is the statement Vincente Padilla was sending and his teammates have responded. Let's just hope they can keep the fire burning through the end of the year. It's part of the game and a necessary evil to have that swagger that a team must have to play into October. Besides, there were no injuries except maybe a few hurt feelings. I like the way it went down. The Rangers had smiles on their faces and the Angels were angry. I think it really boosted the morale of the Rangers and really hurt the morale of the Angels. We'll see how it plays out, but I think it was the right thing for THIS team. Vincente Padilla, I applaud you. I love that sullen demeanor you take to the mound with you and the blue collar efforts you repeatedly produce.
I agree that it can be a big boost to the Rangers spirits. They just had their best homestand of the season too...going 5-1. However, Padilla is the most consistent pitcher on the roster right now so losing him for a start (or maybe 2 depending on the suspension) could really hurt the team, especially since he would have been the Sunday start in Detroit. Then again, say it's a 5 game suspension (the most likely number) then they can protest it until Monday morning and then he would start Saturday against Oakland instead of Friday against Oakland.

GreenMonster
08-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I agree that it can be a big boost to the Rangers spirits. They just had their best homestand of the season too...going 5-1. However, Padilla is the most consistent pitcher on the roster right now so losing him for a start (or maybe 2 depending on the suspension) could really hurt the team, especially since he would have been the Sunday start in Detroit. Then again, say it's a 5 game suspension (the most likely number) then they can protest it until Monday morning and then he would start Saturday against Oakland instead of Friday against Oakland.

Which, when you add it all up, equals no big deal. Buck just needs to clam up. Be a player's coach for 2 months Buck, you just might have a little success.

Bearkat
08-17-2006, 10:41 AM

I agree with you Monster. This is part of the game. It's nice to see the RANGERS with a little fire in their butts. The RANGERS seem like the nicest team in the majors. The angels threw behind Kinsler, hit Young, and hit Cruz. (I think) Yet, it took a angles batter, being hit, to charge the mound. I like the attitude that Padilla brings to the mound and the team. I hope he isn't suspended for too long. Good luck to the RANGERS for the rest of the season!!!

Macarthur
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
I certainly hope this gives the rangers a boost. HOwever, I think Padilla is an idiot. There are times you can send a message, but Padilla was just plain stupid. The timing is what is so bad by Padilla. It's just not being smart.

I don't like it when a pitcher throws at a guy after a homerun. IF you don't like it, don't give up the damn HR. Now, if the guy shows up the pitcher, that's a different story.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-17-2006, 12:52 PM

I'm with you Green Monster!

Macarthur
08-17-2006, 01:01 PM
[B]This is exactly why Buck Showalter will never win big. Vincente Padilla, on the other hand, just lit a fire deep in the belly of his Ranger teammates.

You may be right, but if the Rangers needed this to "get them fired up", they really are done, IMO.

Management needs to shut up and ride this wave. This is the time for emotion and the time to make a statement. "Don't tread on me." is the statement Vincente Padilla was sending and his teammates have responded.

I think a better message would have been to get someone out instead of letting them hit the homerun in the first place.

Let's just hope they can keep the fire burning through the end of the year. It's part of the game and a necessary evil to have that swagger that a team must have to play into October. Besides, there were no injuries except maybe a few hurt feelings. I like the way it went down. The Rangers had smiles on their faces and the Angels were angry. I think it really boosted the morale of the Rangers and really hurt the morale of the Angels. We'll see how it plays out, but I think it was the right thing for THIS team. Vincente Padilla, I applaud you. I love that sullen demeanor you take to the mound with you and the blue collar efforts you repeatedly produce.

I guess my problem with it was the timing. I don't have a problem with him sending a message, but twice, three times? Send the message, then get the F'ers out! Now, Padilla has put his team in a bind because he is going to miss at least 2 starts, IMO. They're already short Kip Wells so this really hurts. He's been their best pitcher this year and now coming down the stretch, he's going to sit out a couple of starts.

I just think a team looking to win the division needs to be smarter.