PDA

View Full Version : Woohoooo!!! HEB Starts Selling Ethanol Gas!!

ILS1
08-16-2006, 06:36 PM
By Claudia Grisales

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The H-E-B grocery chain launched sales of ethanol-based fuel at gas stations in North Austin, Buda and three other locations along the Interstate 35 corridor Wednesday, and curious drivers were more than interested.

"I've been waiting two months for this," said Rhett Humphrey, a worker for the Lower Colorado River Authority who filled up his Ford Explorer on E-85. "If I can burn ethanol (instead of regular unleaded gasoline), it's better."

H-E-B is the first major retailer to sell E-85, which is 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline, in Central Texas, as well as in San Antonio, Killeen and Waco.

Ethanol is a corn-based fuel that supporters promote as one way to reduce the nation's dependence on oil. However, it can be used only in so-called flexible fuel vehicles, which include many newer domestic models.

Initially, H-E-B will sell E-85 for at least 30 cents a gallon less than regular unleaded gasoline. However, E-85 delivers fewer miles per gallon than regular gasoline.

Wednesday morning, H-E-B's Parmer Lane station was selling E-85 for $2.40 a gallon, below the $2.80 for regular unleaded.

This will result in "real savings for consumers," said Larry Soward, commissioner of the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality.

Soward, along with Rep. Mark Strama, D-Austin, H-E-B officials, representatives with the Texas Farm Bureau and the Texas Department of Agriculture were among those launching sales at the Parmer Lane station Wednesday morning.

:D :D

Bull Butter
08-16-2006, 07:09 PM
How does one know if his vehicle is ethanol-ready?

Odis
08-16-2006, 07:13 PM
I know how people get mad at ol Odis for pointing out the truth, but I wouldn't be doing cartwheels over e85. Your gas mileage will be about 15% less than with regular gasoline. So do the math first. If Gasoline is selling for 2.80 then to get the same number of driving miles you need to buy e85 for 2.38 or less.

Just looking out for my friends here on the down low. (is that what ya'll call it?)

Play smart!!!

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah, its costing about the same now, but a decrease of our dependence on foreign oil should eventually help ease the price of oil.

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Yeah, its costing about the same now, but a decrease of our dependence on foreign oil should eventually help ease the price of oil. post of the day

GreenMonster
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
post of the day I concur :clap:

pirate44
08-17-2006, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
post of the day
yes, its a nice post, but i think there are about 2358333 other posts yesterday to choose from