PDA

View Full Version : The University of Texas Licensing Staff Can Officially Kiss My Butt

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
They won't allow my store to carry officially licensed Longhorn furniture due to the words "Rent To Own" in my store name. They are the only team, be it college or pro, that have placed this sort of restriction on the distribution of their licensed product. I'm not sure if they aim to keep the products out of the reach of loyal fans who may happen to be credit strained or if they have an agreement with Aaron's to allow their brand of "Sales and Lease Ownership" to be the exclusive carrier of Longhorn product in a non-traditional retail environment. This decision has me really ticked off as I have a waiting list of people anticipating Longhorn sofas and recliners. Oh well, the USC recliners look much much cooler. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gobbla2001
08-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
They won't allow my store to carry officially licensed Longhorn furniture due to the words "Rent To Own" in my store name. They are the only team, be it college or pro, that have placed this sort of restriction on the distribution of their licensed product. I'm not sure if they aim to keep the products out of the reach of loyal fans who may happen to be credit strained or if they have an agreement with Aaron's to allow their brand of "Sales and Lease Ownership" to be the exclusive carrier of Longhorn product in a non-traditional retail environment. This decision has me really ticked off as I have a waiting list of people anticipating Longhorn sofas and recliners. Oh well, the USC recliners look much much cooler. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Hmmm... and this was your 666th post...

fitting :D

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 12:48 PM
Blast,

If you pay cash for the stuff up front, I don't believe they can keep it our of your store. You might want to call your lawyer.

44INAROW
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Blast,

If you pay cash for the stuff up front, I don't believe they can keep it our of your store. You might want to call your lawyer.

Where is SHANKBEAR when we need him? :)

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Hmmm... and this was your 666th post...

fitting :D :flamingma

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 12:50 PM
A reply to my angry email:

"I think they have a Debutante in charge of licensing :).

Could change soon and I will keep you in the loop when it does.

Thanks,

*Sales rep*"

44INAROW
08-16-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
A reply to my angry email:

"I think they have a Debutante in charge of licensing :).

Could change soon and I will keep you in the loop when it does.

Thanks,

*Sales rep*"

sounds like they want to work with you.. good luck!

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Blast,

I have a charge account with the distributor. UT has no part in the production process. They've merely granted permission to use team logos, but have make it a point to keep this product out of the hands of non-traditional retailers. I've sold plenty of Cowboys recliners and was expecting Longhorn recliners to do even better given they share team colors with Beeville. Ah well. Hopefully this will change. Otherwise I'll have a store down the street do the ordering for me and I'll work around the system.

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
sounds like they want to work with you.. good luck!

Restrictions like this don't make him commission. :p

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
Let me know how it works out.

I might like a recliner, if you can give me a good cash deal.

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 01:00 PM
Shipping wouldn't be very cost effective. Its $100 for the company to drop ship a single item, so you'd be looking at $599 plus tax. The only other place I know of in Texas that carries the Baseline products is Gage Furniture in Round Rock. I'm sure UT will have no problem with them selling it. :mad:

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Well I could spend four hundred bucks in gas and come pick it up.:D

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Heh, makes shipping not seem all that bad when you look at the price of gas. :p

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 01:09 PM
what's the basis behind rent to own holding you back

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
what's the basis behind rent to own holding you back

Ignorance or malice on behalf of the UT Licensing Staff. Apparently their stuff is too good for the RTO channel. I'll show them. I'll just carry A&M and Tech product. :D

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 01:32 PM
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/9499/untitledxh0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

New line of college teams I can carry. All except UT. :mad:

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Does the OU one come with change already in the cushions?

Blastoderm55
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
No, but it might have a paystub for an 87 hour workweek. Hmmm...

KTJ
08-16-2006, 06:44 PM
I could have told you how much a pain those people were.

It's hell trying to get the Bevo or anything else approved for t-shirts and signs. They are really, really protective.

Gobbla2001
08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
to me it sounds like the distributor (which distributes the merchandise to stores like yours) or the manufactuer (which produces the product the university has ordered to be produced) has failed to provide the proper information to you guys... either one of these has mislead you guys to believe you can sell this...

Blastoderm55
08-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
to me it sounds like the distributor (which distributes the merchandise to stores like yours) or the manufactuer (which produces the product the university has ordered to be produced) has failed to provide the proper information to you guys... either one of these has mislead you guys to believe you can sell this...

UT is the only entity within all of the participating organizations which include NCAA, NFL, NBA, and NASCAR that has placed this restriction. They have no role outside of giving permission to use team logos and colors, but have made it a point to deny our retail channel the right to sell to our hard-working and well-deserving customers. Oh well, so be it. The furniture isn't very well made. I'd rather sell La-Z-Boy to my customers.