PDA

View Full Version : New football trivia

wedo
08-15-2006, 10:52 PM
What four player in the NFL have been pick #1 overall and won a Super Bowl MVP????????????

kepdawg
08-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Troy Aikman :)
Bart Starr :thinking:
Joe Namath :thinking:
Terry Bradshaw :thinking:

wedo
08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Troy Aikman :)
Bart Starr :thinking:
Joe Namath :thinking:
Terry Bradshaw :thinking:

you got 2 of 4!!! Aikman and Bradshaw are correct!!!

wedo
08-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Is this one to hard or what?? Or nobody really cares???

gato 76
08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Its to early in thr morning for that.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Are the other two John Elway and Jim Plunkett?

Phil C
08-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Are the other two John Elway and Jim Plunkett?

Never mind the question. It was them. :)

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Never mind the question. It was them. :)

way to go Phil!!! When are you going to post some trivia for us? Those are always exciting times! :)

wedo
08-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
way to go Phil!!! When are you going to post some trivia for us? Those are always exciting times! :)

4 real !!! I need football talk!!!!! Come on people!!!!

plz!!

wedo
08-16-2006, 08:51 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Phil C
Are the other two John Elway and Jim Plunkett? [/QUOTE

It was them!!!

Phil C
08-16-2006, 10:14 AM

OK! Here is another one. Besides those four what overall No. 1 draft picks have been on winning Super Bowl teams? (Besides the players name the team they were on that won the super bowl).

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
OK! Here is another one. Besides those four what overall No. 1 draft picks have been on winning Super Bowl teams? (Besides the players name the team they were on that won the super bowl).

Would Russell Maryland / Dallas be one?

Phil C
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Would Russell Maryland / Dallas be one?

Right you are PPHS!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Drew Bledsoe / New England?

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:26 AM
How About

Ed Too Tall Jones / Dallas ?:D

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Seems Like Terry Bradshaw was a first rounder too. I believe he won a couple:D

Oh wait, somebody already said him. LOL

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Roman Gabriel...1962 by Oakland
Ed "Too Tall" Jones....1975 by Dallas
Keyshawn Johnson...1996 by NY Jets
Orlando Pace...1997 by St Louis Rams

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
Drew Bledsoe / New England?

correct...he was the backup to Tom Brady in the 2001 season (02 Super Bowl)

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:35 AM
correct...he was the backup to Tom Brady in the 2001 season (02 Super Bowl)

He was only the back-up because of injury. He did however play a roll in them "getting there".:)

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
He was only the back-up because of injury. He did however play a roll in them "getting there".:)

Yeah...he threw 2 passes I think! :thumbsup:

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah...he threw 2 passes I think! :thumbsup:

Three actually, and one was a game winning touchdown that advanced them past Pittsburgh.

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Three actually, and one was a game winning touchdown that advanced them past Pittsburgh.

actually...he threw 66 passes. When I looked on NFL.com I just 2 and 2 and thought it was ATT/COMP but it was Games and Games started. His stat line looked like this:

40-66 400 yds, 2TD 2 INT 75.3 QB Rating

He didn't throw any passes against Pittsburgh as they didn't play them. Here is his game log...

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1041/gamelogs/2001

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Well I was talking about the game that got them to the SuperBowl.:D

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
Well I was talking about the game that got them to the SuperBowl.:D

gotcha...that was the Tommy Maddox year where people thought he was the 2nd coming of Terry Bradshaw, right? Wasn't it also their first year in Heinz Field and their kicker couldn't make a FG?

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
LOL, sounds right.

Hey, I am starting to feel like a thread pirate.:eek:

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:50 AM
LOL, sounds right.

Hey, I am starting to feel like a thread pirate.:eek:

There are other types of pirates that could be worse...just ask G2 ;)

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 10:53 AM
There are other types of pirates that could be worse...just ask G2 ;)

ROFL

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
Very good everyone. But I think you are still missing four of them and one of them is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :eek:

Another hint: One was drafted No. 1 by Miami when they were in the AFL but he decided to go with an NFL team which drafted him No. 9 (I think) on which he won the super bowl.

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Very good everyone. But I think you are still missing four of them and one of them is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. :eek:

Another hint: One was drafted No. 1 by Miami when they were in the AFL but he decided to go with an NFL team which drafted him No. 9 (I think) on which he won the super bowl.

Jim Grabowski / Green Bay?

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Jim Grabowski / Green Bay?

Excellent! Right you are PPHS!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Bubba Smith / Baltimore?

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Gonna need some hints for the last two.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:06 AM
Another hint: One played football at Grambling. Another one was drafted by Houston but played on another team that won the super bowl and appeared in the Burt Reynolds movie North Dallas 40. The third one played for Baltimore when they beat Dallas in the 1971 Super Bowl.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:07 AM
Bubba Smith / Baltimore?

Right you are PPHS! I posted the hint before I saw this. Good job!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:10 AM
John Matuszak / Oakland?

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:13 AM
Buck Buchanan / KC ?

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:14 AM
John Matuszak / Oakland?

Right you are PPHS! Now one more to go. Remember he played at Grambling and is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:15 AM
Pretty sure I got it above with Buck

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Pretty sure I got it above with Buck

Right you are PPHS! Sorry our posts overlapped. Good job!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 11:18 AM
Woo Hoo, I am the smartest man ALIVE:D

wedo
08-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Heres another its really easy!!!

Who invented the WEST COAST offense?????

GreenMonster
08-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Right you are PPHS! Now one more to go. Remember he played at Grambling and is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Doug Williams, Redskins in the Timmy Smith Super Bowl. Was drafted No.1 by Tampa

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by wedo

Sid Gillman

GreenMonster
08-16-2006, 02:10 PM
Sid Gillman Don Coryell

District303aPastPlayer
08-16-2006, 02:16 PM
GA Moore

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 02:18 PM

Al Gore

Phil C
08-16-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Doug Williams, Redskins in the Timmy Smith Super Bowl. Was drafted No.1 by Tampa

Doug Williams was not an overall No. 1 pick though.

wedo
08-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Nope!!!!!!!!!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Nope!!!!!!!!!

This question is open to debate. I can make just as good a case for Sid Gillman as you can for anyone else.

GreenMonster
08-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Doug Williams was not an overall No. 1 pick though. Why not? He should have been.

wedo
08-16-2006, 03:44 PM
This question is open to debate. I can make just as good a case for Sid Gillman as you can for anyone else.

Bill Walsh is who i always thought it was!!!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 03:46 PM
Bill Walsh is who i always thought it was!!!

Sid Gillman (October 26, 1911 - January 3, 2003) was an American football coach and innovator. Gillman's insistence on stretching the football field by throwing deep downfield passes instead of short passes to running backs or wide receivers at the sides of the line of scrimmage made football into the modern game that it is today.

Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Gillman played college football at Ohio State University under legendary coach Francis "Shut the Gates of Mercy" Schmidt. He was an All-Big Ten end in the early 1930s. Always deeply interested in the game, while working as a movie theater usher, he would remove the football segments from newsreels that the theater would show, so that he could take them home and study them on a projector he had bought for his own use. It was this dedication to filmed football plays that made Gillman the first coach to study game footage, something that all coaches do today.

Gillman played one year in the National Football League for the Cleveland Rams, then became an assistant coach at Denison University, Ohio State University and was an assistant coach to Earl Blaik of Army, then head coach at Miami University and at the University of Cincinnati. He returned to the NFL as a head coach, with the Los Angeles Rams, where he led the team to the NFL's championship game, then he moved to the American Football League, where he coached the Los Angeles and San Diego Chargers to five Western Division titles and one league championship in the first six years of the league's existence. His greatest coaching success came after he was persuaded by Barron Hilton, then the Chargers' majority owner, to become the head coach of the American Football League franchise he planned to operate in Los Angeles. When the team's general manager, the late Frank Leahy, became ill during the Chargers' founding season, Gillman took on additional responsibilities as general manager. As the first coach of the Chargers, Gillman gave the team a personality that matched his own. He was mercurial. Gillman's concepts formed the foundation of the so-called "West Coast offense" that pro football teams are still using.

He had much to do with the American Football League being able to establish itself. Gillman was a thorough professional. In order to compete with him, his peers had to learn pro ways. They learned, and the American Football League became the genesis of modern professional football.

"Sid Gillman brought class to the AFL," Oakland Raiders managing general partner Al Davis once said of the man he served under on that first Chargers team. "Being part of Sid's organization was like going to a laboratory for the highly developed science of professional football." Through Gillman's tenure as head coach, the Chargers went 87-57-6 and won five AFL Western Division titles. In 1963 they captured the only league championship the club ever won by outscoring the Boston Patriots, 51-10, in the American Football League championship game in Balboa Stadium. That game was a measure of Gillman's genius. He crafted a game plan he entitled "Feast or Famine" that used motion, then seldom seen, to negate the Patriots' blitzes. His plan freed running back Keith Lincoln to rush for 206 yards. In addition to Lincoln, on Gillman's teams through the '60s were these Hall of Famers: wide receiver Lance Alworth; offensive tackle Ron Mix; running back Paul Lowe; quarterback John Hadl; and defensive linemen Ernie Ladd and Earl Faison. Gillman was one of only two head coaches to hold that position for the entire 10-year existence of the American Football League.

Gillman approached then-NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle in 1963 with the idea of having the champions of the AFL and the NFL play a single final game, but his idea was not implemented until the Super Bowl game was played in 1967. His final coaching job was in the 1980s, when he coached the Los Angeles Express of the now-defunct United States Football League.

Gillman's influence on the modern game can be seen by listing the current and former coaches and executives who either played with him or for him:

Al LoCasale, an Oakland Raiders executive
Al Davis, the Oakland Raiders' owner
Chuck Noll, who coached the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl titles
Ara Parseghian, former coach at the University of Notre Dame
Bo Schembechler, former coach at the University of Michigan
Chuck Knox, former coach of several NFL teams
Dick Vermeil, coach of several NFL teams
Don Coryell, the coach at San Diego State University when Gillman was coaching the San Diego Chargers, would bring his team to Chargers' practices to watch how Gillman ran his practices. Coryell went on the coach in the NFL, and some of his assistants, influenced by the Gillman style, included NFL coaches Joe Gibbs and Ernie Zampese.

Besides the downfield pass, film footage, and the idea of the Super Bowl, Gillman also came up with the idea of putting players' names on the backs of their uniforms.

On his passing in 2003, Sid Gillman was interred in the Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Culver City, California.

wedo
08-16-2006, 03:51 PM
Sid Gillman (October 26, 1911 - January 3, 2003) was an American football coach and innovator. Gillman's insistence on stretching the football field by throwing deep downfield passes instead of short passes to running backs or wide receivers at the sides of the line of scrimmage made football into the modern game that it is today.

Born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Gillman played college football at Ohio State University under legendary coach Francis "Shut the Gates of Mercy" Schmidt. He was an All-Big Ten end in the early 1930s. Always deeply interested in the game, while working as a movie theater usher, he would remove the football segments from newsreels that the theater would show, so that he could take them home and study them on a projector he had bought for his own use. It was this dedication to filmed football plays that made Gillman the first coach to study game footage, something that all coaches do today.

Gillman played one year in the National Football League for the Cleveland Rams, then became an assistant coach at Denison University, Ohio State University and was an assistant coach to Earl Blaik of Army, then head coach at Miami University and at the University of Cincinnati. He returned to the NFL as a head coach, with the Los Angeles Rams, where he led the team to the NFL's championship game, then he moved to the American Football League, where he coached the Los Angeles and San Diego Chargers to five Western Division titles and one league championship in the first six years of the league's existence. His greatest coaching success came after he was persuaded by Barron Hilton, then the Chargers' majority owner, to become the head coach of the American Football League franchise he planned to operate in Los Angeles. When the team's general manager, the late Frank Leahy, became ill during the Chargers' founding season, Gillman took on additional responsibilities as general manager. As the first coach of the Chargers, Gillman gave the team a personality that matched his own. He was mercurial. Gillman's concepts formed the foundation of the so-called "West Coast offense" that pro football teams are still using.

He had much to do with the American Football League being able to establish itself. Gillman was a thorough professional. In order to compete with him, his peers had to learn pro ways. They learned, and the American Football League became the genesis of modern professional football.

"Sid Gillman brought class to the AFL," Oakland Raiders managing general partner Al Davis once said of the man he served under on that first Chargers team. "Being part of Sid's organization was like going to a laboratory for the highly developed science of professional football." Through Gillman's tenure as head coach, the Chargers went 87-57-6 and won five AFL Western Division titles. In 1963 they captured the only league championship the club ever won by outscoring the Boston Patriots, 51-10, in the American Football League championship game in Balboa Stadium. That game was a measure of Gillman's genius. He crafted a game plan he entitled "Feast or Famine" that used motion, then seldom seen, to negate the Patriots' blitzes. His plan freed running back Keith Lincoln to rush for 206 yards. In addition to Lincoln, on Gillman's teams through the '60s were these Hall of Famers: wide receiver Lance Alworth; offensive tackle Ron Mix; running back Paul Lowe; quarterback John Hadl; and defensive linemen Ernie Ladd and Earl Faison. Gillman was one of only two head coaches to hold that position for the entire 10-year existence of the American Football League.

Gillman approached then-NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle in 1963 with the idea of having the champions of the AFL and the NFL play a single final game, but his idea was not implemented until the Super Bowl game was played in 1967. His final coaching job was in the 1980s, when he coached the Los Angeles Express of the now-defunct United States Football League.

Gillman's influence on the modern game can be seen by listing the current and former coaches and executives who either played with him or for him:

Al LoCasale, an Oakland Raiders executive
Al Davis, the Oakland Raiders' owner
Chuck Noll, who coached the Pittsburgh Steelers to four Super Bowl titles
Ara Parseghian, former coach at the University of Notre Dame
Bo Schembechler, former coach at the University of Michigan
Chuck Knox, former coach of several NFL teams
Dick Vermeil, coach of several NFL teams
Don Coryell, the coach at San Diego State University when Gillman was coaching the San Diego Chargers, would bring his team to Chargers' practices to watch how Gillman ran his practices. Coryell went on the coach in the NFL, and some of his assistants, influenced by the Gillman style, included NFL coaches Joe Gibbs and Ernie Zampese.

Besides the downfield pass, film footage, and the idea of the Super Bowl, Gillman also came up with the idea of putting players' names on the backs of their uniforms.

On his passing in 2003, Sid Gillman was interred in the Hillside Memorial Park Cemetery in Culver City, California.

Im familar with Gillman but I really did think it was Bill Walsh!! At least he gets all the credit for it from what i've seen!!!

wedo
08-16-2006, 06:05 PM

But the West Coast Offense is not designed to throw 80 yard bombs!!! There is a difference between the spread "TTech, Ennis," and the West coast offense!!! Not trying to insult you!!!

PPHSfan
08-16-2006, 06:30 PM
80 yard bombs were not the only thing ole sid thought of.

wedo
08-17-2006, 07:13 PM
anybody have any good ones?????

maestro
08-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Who was named MVP of the first USFL season?

Kelvin Bryant
Jim Kelly
Herschel Walker
Joe Cribbs

In July of 1986, about a month before the USFL was to begin its first fall season, the USFL won its anti-trust lawsuit against the NFL. How much money was the USFL awarded in the decision?

$3
$3,000
$3,000,000
$30,000,000

In three-consecutive years, the USFL was able to lure college football's Heisman Trophy winner to their league. Which of the following did not receive that award?

Hershel Walker
Doug Flutie
Jim Kelly
Mike Rozier

Who was The Sporting News USFL Rookie of the Year in 1984?

Steve Young
Doug Flutie
Jim Kelly
Mike Rozier

Which team won the first USFL Championship game?

Michigan Panthers
Philadelphia Stars
New Jersey Generals
Jacksonville Bulls