PDA

View Full Version : Lidge Blew It......

neck_06
08-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Anyone surprised?

wedo
08-16-2006, 07:44 AM
Not really !!! I think its time to get rid of him!!!! Anyone else think so??

CHS_CG
08-16-2006, 07:48 AM
I was up till the 12th inning and couldnt keep my eyes open any longer i went straight to bed but i was pissed when i woke up this morning!

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 08:06 AM
18 inning game..wow

3afan
08-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
18 inning game..wow

2 of them last night - D'backs/Rockies also went 18 - first time in MLB history that has happened

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
and they have to play an afternoon game

SWMustang
08-16-2006, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't send Lidge out to close - I'd send Wheeler. Let Lidge do some set up work.

VWG
08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
What about in the bottom of the tenth and Burke on 3rd after a leadoff double?
Gets moved over to third by Ensberg. One out, man on third, and you can't get him in????
Lidge didn't blow this one by himself.

Maroon87
08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Let Lidge do some set up work.

Yeah...at Round Rock.

Maroon87
08-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by VWG
What about in the bottom of the tenth and Burke on 3rd after a leadoff double?
Gets moved over to third by Ensberg. One out, man on third, and you can't get him in????
Lidge didn't blow this one by himself.

It's like Milo Hamilton said on the radio Monday night..."Situational hitting is a concept this club does not grasp."

spiveyrat
08-16-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
"Situational hitting is a concept this club does not grasp."

Truer words have never been spoken.

How 'bout that that foul homer Ensberg (I think) hit in around the 13th or 14th? As soon as that ball came off the bat, I thought it was game over.

GOFOR2
08-16-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
Anyone surprised?

You act surprise by "Lights Out" Lidge's performance.
He was a much better set up man.....when there is less pressure.

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
You act surprise by "Lights Out" Lidge's performance.
He was a much better set up man.....when there is less pressure. either they move him there or trade him, he's blow five saves officially

neck_06
08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
THE ASTROS SHOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN RID OF BILLY WAGNER!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

HE WAS GREAT!!!

big daddy russ
08-16-2006, 11:42 AM

HE WAS GREAT!!!
That's the thing about closers, you never know when they're going to break. It's pretty rare that you find one of those guys like Troy Percival, Trevor Hoffman, etc. One of those guys who is dominant throughout a career.

They let Wagner go because of injury concerns (if I remember correctly, he's only 5'9" and he goes out there and chunks the hell out of the ball everynight) and they figured Lidge was ready.

And up until Albert Pujols touched him in the bad place, Lidge was more lights out than anyone this side of Eric Gagne. Now he has a 5.60 ERA and I think it's time for someone else.

SWMustang
08-16-2006, 11:47 AM

HE WAS GREAT!!!

Lidge at his best was better than wagner. Wagner (even when dominant) frequently let the tying run on base. Octavio Dotel was the heir apparent to Wagner and he was pretty nasty too - as a set up man.

Now Lidge at his worst - it ain't pretty

BTEXDAD
08-16-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
It's like Milo Hamilton said on the radio Monday night..."Situational hitting is a concept this club does not grasp."
He really said that? He's normally positive. Some of the stupid mistakes team is making must be getting to him also.
Team seems to continue thinking they will go on big run and make playoffs, at least they keep talking that way.
Players have to make that happen not just expect it to happen and then it magically it does.

Clemons was a distraction in early part of season, then the failures of key players.
Lidge is main one. Ensberg terrible, but that has given Lamb more ABs and Lamb has done well. Lane has also been terrible, but that has given Luke scott chance and he's been good.
I haven't looked at stats, but I would guess overall hitting is as good or better than last year. Pitching most likely worse. Baseball IQ has to be among the worst in NL.
most positive spin I can give is that they're still only a 10 game winning streak away from playoffs. Stranger things have happened.