PDA

View Full Version : interesting write up that we can all learn from

lostaussie
08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
this was on a sooner website (no, i am not a sooner fan) written by the associate athletic director. i found him to think alot as i do.

What do interstates, grocery lines, message boards and sports talk radio have in common? Plenty.

For years I've done things on the interstate that I wouldn't dream of in a grocery line. If we're at the local market, I'll smile and nod for you to go in front of me. It doesn't really matter what kind of schedule I'm on that day, you take the spot.

On the roadway, it's a different story. That grill in your rear view mirror is mine. No, I don't have any particular time frame for reaching my destination, but that matters little. It's a NASCAR world and you're in the way.

OK, I am over-stating my driving habits, but you get the drift.

Much has been said and written about road rage, but you've never heard anyone ticked about the back-up at the check-out line.

The reason for that is simple. With identity comes accountability. When people know who you are, your actions are attached to you.

The result of that is something we call "reputation." Get one of those soiled and you're damaged on just about every front.

That brings me to message boards and sports talk radio.

The concept of both is great. In their purest form, both provide a free-flow of information the likes of which we've never known before.

I don't call sports talk programs unless I am identified, but I have participated on message boards for hobbies that interest me. My identity on those is typically known, too. That is not the case for most.

I've learned a lot of things by participating in a community with others who share my interests. I've also learned that when your identity can't be traced the fuse on human decency, in many cases, is one-inch long and soaked in gasoline.

The name-calling is quick and the critiques are harsh with little regard for the next guy over even minor differences of opinion.

Personally, I think the anonymity that comes with un-named callers and posters is unhealthy, but I am resigned to the fact that both are here to stay. As the caller numbers and posters soar with the advent of football season, this is simply a plea for common sense and respect for one another.

And most of all it is a reminder that the student-athletes who choose to represent this or any other university in athletic competition deserve our respect and support, not slashing barbs and personal attacks.

We expect those young men and women to represent us with nothing but their very best. It is not too much for them to expect and receive the same from us in return.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kenny Mossman, Associate Athletics Director for Communications, provides his perspective on OU Athletics in his regular column on SoonerSports.com. Read more in the Mossman Prophecies Archive.

DaHop72
08-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
this was on a sooner website (no, i am not a sooner fan) written by the associate athletic director. i found him to think alot as i do.

What do interstates, grocery lines, message boards and sports talk radio have in common? Plenty.

For years I've done things on the interstate that I wouldn't dream of in a grocery line. If we're at the local market, I'll smile and nod for you to go in front of me. It doesn't really matter what kind of schedule I'm on that day, you take the spot.

On the roadway, it's a different story. That grill in your rear view mirror is mine. No, I don't have any particular time frame for reaching my destination, but that matters little. It's a NASCAR world and you're in the way.

OK, I am over-stating my driving habits, but you get the drift.

Much has been said and written about road rage, but you've never heard anyone ticked about the back-up at the check-out line.

The reason for that is simple. With identity comes accountability. When people know who you are, your actions are attached to you.

The result of that is something we call "reputation." Get one of those soiled and you're damaged on just about every front.

That brings me to message boards and sports talk radio.

The concept of both is great. In their purest form, both provide a free-flow of information the likes of which we've never known before.

I don't call sports talk programs unless I am identified, but I have participated on message boards for hobbies that interest me. My identity on those is typically known, too. That is not the case for most.

I've learned a lot of things by participating in a community with others who share my interests. I've also learned that when your identity can't be traced the fuse on human decency, in many cases, is one-inch long and soaked in gasoline.

The name-calling is quick and the critiques are harsh with little regard for the next guy over even minor differences of opinion.

Personally, I think the anonymity that comes with un-named callers and posters is unhealthy, but I am resigned to the fact that both are here to stay. As the caller numbers and posters soar with the advent of football season, this is simply a plea for common sense and respect for one another.

And most of all it is a reminder that the student-athletes who choose to represent this or any other university in athletic competition deserve our respect and support, not slashing barbs and personal attacks.

We expect those young men and women to represent us with nothing but their very best. It is not too much for them to expect and receive the same from us in return.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Kenny Mossman, Associate Athletics Director for Communications, provides his perspective on OU Athletics in his regular column on SoonerSports.com. Read more in the Mossman Prophecies Archive.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

lostaussie
08-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you know hop, me and you see eye to eye a whole lot:thumbsup:

Old Dog
08-15-2006, 10:19 PM
I must admit, that's a pretty fair way to look at things!