PDA

View Full Version : Voooolllllllleeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyball

garageoffice
08-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Volleyball has officially started! Since PhilC hasn't already started a thread for this, tell us how your team did.

As for ours, the Kennedale LadyKats played Grandview tonight. The result:

Varsity - Lost 3-2
JV - Won 2-1
Fish - Won 2-1

luvhoops34
08-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Poth was playing Flour Bluff today and maybe GP. Anybody have any scores?

neck_06
08-15-2006, 10:08 PM
West Columbia Lady Necks beat Rice Cons. 3-2 in the first game of the tri-match today. The Lady Necks weren't as fortunate in the second game as they dropped tough one to Boling 3-1.

After the first two games the Lady Necks are 1-1.

kepdawg
08-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Celina beat Blue Ridge

MHSvarsity2007
08-15-2006, 11:47 PM
we dont have volleyball here. we're like the only school in the world that doesn't.

SnyTigBaseB07
08-16-2006, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007
we dont have volleyball here. we're like the only school in the world that doesn't.

thats because merkel is retarded

no offense to anyone whos mentally handicap, i know its semi-insulting to be compared to merkel..i apologize beforehand!

MHSvarsity2007
08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07

no offense to anyone whos mentally handicap, i know its semi-insulting to be compared to merkel..i apologize beforehand!

:eek: hater!

Snydertigersrul
08-16-2006, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by MHSvarsity2007

Abilene Wylie also does not have a volleyball program.

LH Panther Mom
08-16-2006, 06:12 AM
How did your daughter do, GO?

3afan
08-16-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07

geez rookie ..........

Phil C
08-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I am not sure about the JVs or Freshmen teams that played at the 3 team tournament (Sinton, Freer and Yorktown) we had because they played at the same time as the varsities. But I did see all the varsity games and Sinton beat Freer 3 - 0 and Yorktown also beat Freer 3 - 0. The games were competitive though and Freer has a good team that can dig and get the ball back over and they were competitive.
The Sinton vs Yorktown match was a great one with all the games going down to the wire with the last one going into overtime with Yorktown winning 18 to 16. The teams were evenly matched and it just came down that one team was finally able to win it. We probably won't play Yorktown again this year but they have got a good team with a tall player named Katy Doogie (spelling?) that is a junior and she can block and spike well and should be a college recruit.

44INAROW
08-16-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
We probably won't play Yorktown again this year but they have got a good team with a tall player named Katy Doogie (spelling?) that is a junior and she can block and spike well and should be a college recruit.

She is just a good all around athlete - (her brother Ted is too - he just graduated and was an outstanding football and baseball player) Katie Dugie does shot and discus in track as well.

garageoffice
08-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
How did your daughter do, GO?

She did great! She's actually transitioning from MB to RH/S because she's stopped growing. She's got great hands and a lot of ups. Even though she's a fish, she played almost the entire game. In three games, she only came out for two short breathers. She was really excited, to say the least.

She had some good kills at RH and made a bunch of assists. Mama and Papa were VERY proud! :D :D

The JV team looked good overall. My daughter's group has some really good athletes (5 fish made JV and one made Varsity). They played well, and once they hit their rhythm, they won the 2nd and 3rd games easily.

BTEXDAD
08-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Bellville varsity lost 3-2 to Needville. Bellville JV won, don't know about freshmen.
Bellville varsity has young team after losing six seniors from last yrs state champion and made quite a few mistakes.
It looks like there will be a definite learning curve for the Brahmanettes. Look for them to be rolling by the time district comes around though.

garageoffice
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD

It looks like there will be a definite learning curve for the Brahmanettes. Look for them to be rolling by the time district comes around though.

That's the word, isn't it? I expect they'll come around pretty quickly.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
She is just a good all around athlete - (her brother Ted is too - he just graduated and was an outstanding football and baseball player) Katie Dugie does shot and discus in track as well.

Thank you for the information 44. Is Yorktown in your district? I thought they were 2A.
The one thing I notice early in the year in volleyball is that there are lots of rotating and coaches seem to be evaluating talent before they completely settle down on starters. I think they do that so teams can peak by district time and be settled on starters plus be ready for the playoffs. A lot of that is done in softball and baseball.

garageoffice
08-16-2006, 10:15 AM

The one thing I notice early in the year in volleyball is that there are lots of rotating and coaches seem to be evaluating talent before they completely settle down on starters. I think they do that so teams can peak by district time and be settled on starters plus be ready for the playoffs.

I think, too, that this year you might be seeing even more of it than usual because of the UIL scheduling. In the past, they've typically had about 2 weeks of practices before school starts. This year, of course, most schools have only had one week, and in some cases, even less. I would think that sure cuts into your evaluation time.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I think, too, that this year you might be seeing even more of it than usual because of the UIL scheduling. In the past, they've typically had about 2 weeks of practices before school starts. This year, of course, most schools have only had one week, and in some cases, even less. I would think that sure cuts into your evaluation time.

Good point garage. It will be interesting to see what happens next year when the schools can't start until September. Looking ahead to next year it looks like most schools won't start till September 4th (Tuesday) since the 1st will be on a Saturday unless they start on Labor Day Monday which will be September 3rd which I think will be unlikely.

garageoffice
08-16-2006, 10:43 AM
It will be interesting to see what happens next year when the schools can't start until September. Looking ahead to next year it looks like most schools won't start till September 4th (Tuesday) since the 1st will be on a Saturday unless they start on Labor Day Monday which will be September 3rd which I think will be unlikely.

Is that officially the case, PhilC? I heard someone the other day say school couldn't start before Aug. 27 next year.

Johnny Moxen
08-16-2006, 11:03 AM

Wrong Sydertigersrul, better do your home work before you you make statements such as in your quote. Wylie just implemented Volleyball this year at the Jr. High in order to start building the program before they implement Varsity level play.

The report I heard was that there was going to be a 7th grade team (A, B and C teams) and a 8th grade team (A, B and C teams). Word on the street has it that 150 girls are reported to be trying out for these teams in which I would envision that you only have 9-12 girls per team.

Looks like another sport at Wylie is off to a good start and should be competitive in 3A soon.

Phil C
08-16-2006, 11:16 AM
Is that officially the case, PhilC? I heard someone the other day say school couldn't start before Aug. 27 next year.

You could be right garage. Maybe they are giving the schools some adjustment time before they enforce Sept. 1 law. Seems silly to make a law and not enforce it eventually.

44INAROW
08-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Thank you for the information 44. Is Yorktown in your district? I thought they were 2A.
The one thing I notice early in the year in volleyball is that there are lots of rotating and coaches seem to be evaluating talent before they completely settle down on starters. I think they do that so teams can peak by district time and be settled on starters plus be ready for the playoffs. A lot of that is done in softball and baseball.

You're correct, they are 2A - I've just known Ted and Katie for years through soccer when the boys were little etc (Babe Ruth baseball) . Yorktown kids play with the Cuero kids in soccer.

Snydertigersrul
08-16-2006, 12:35 PM

Next year school will not start until after Sept. 1st.After Labor Day.That is for all schools.

KL3
08-16-2006, 12:46 PM
Bellville varsity lost 3-2 to Needville. Bellville JV won, don't know about freshmen.
Bellville varsity has young team after losing six seniors from last yrs state champion and made quite a few mistakes.

Bellville freshman won also.

BTEXDAD
08-16-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
Next year school will not start until after Sept. 1st.After Labor Day.That is for all schools.

Thought behind this is good, but could always be exceptions.

Round top-Carmine is 1A school whose bus route runs between Brenham and La Grange. They have been starting school early part of August for years. This year it was on August 7th. Then they take a week off in both Fall and Spring during the antique festivals, because buses/teachers/students can't navigate through all the traffic. I guess they'll have to adapt somehow next year.

garageoffice
08-16-2006, 02:29 PM
Thought behind this is good, but could always be exceptions.

Round top-Carmine is 1A school whose bus route runs between Brenham and La Grange. They have been starting school early part of August for years. This year it was on August 7th. Then they take a week off in both Fall and Spring during the antique festivals, because buses/teachers/students can't navigate through all the traffic. I guess they'll have to adapt somehow next year.

Seriously? The traffic gets that bad? I remember when I was in early elementary school, we would get a week off in the fall during harvest time.

BTW, RTC is another of those good volleyball schools. TGCA has them ranked #2 in 1A starting the season.

loboes86
08-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Monahans Lady Loboes defeated Midland High and San Angelo Lake View in a dual match ! Good Job Ladies !:)

tigerpride_08
08-16-2006, 07:16 PM
wharton is 1-0 after beating bay city last night and now tomorrow are going to take place in the palacios tourny...

sweetwater07
08-16-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul

i thought they had gymnastics instead

Phil C
08-17-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Moxen
Wrong Sydertigersrul, better do your home work before you you make statements such as in your quote. Wylie just implemented Volleyball this year at the Jr. High in order to start building the program before they implement Varsity level play.

The report I heard was that there was going to be a 7th grade team (A, B and C teams) and a 8th grade team (A, B and C teams). Word on the street has it that 150 girls are reported to be trying out for these teams in which I would envision that you only have 9-12 girls per team.

Looks like another sport at Wylie is off to a good start and should be competitive in 3A soon.

:eek: Well I guess it is better late than never even though this late start from Wylie is shocking news indeed! Me wonders if someone complained to the UIL.

BTEXDAD
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Seriously? The traffic gets that bad? I remember when I was in early elementary school, we would get a week off in the fall during harvest time.

BTW, RTC is another of those good volleyball schools. TGCA has them ranked #2 in 1A starting the season.
Along state hwy 237 which runs from just west of Burton past La Bahia Hall, through Round Top, Warrenton, Rutersville and into La Grange, there are vendors set up in the old dance halls, under big tents and even out in pastures. Big money maker for property owners by renting spaces to vendors and charging parking fees.
If you like antiques (or junk) this is place to go. Lots of foot traffic as well as autos looking for place to park.
Normal travel time to La Grange on this section of 237 about 25-30 minutes. More like two hrs during antique festivals.

RTC v-ball program is top notch. Have gone to state like 8 yrs in row. If not for Windthorst in 1A, no telling how many times they would have won it all.

Johnny Moxen
08-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Well I guess it is better late than never even though this late start from Wylie is shocking news indeed! Me wonders if someone complained to the UIL.

Give us a few years and we'll be talking Volleyball with you Phil C. Until recently, I don't think we've had a lot of demand for it. Especially when our district (such as Clyde and formerly Merkel) and other small West Texas schools don't have it. Clyde still doesn't, don't know if Breckenridge, Commanche or even Sweetwater offers volleyball. A survey was sent out within the Wylie school district a few years ago and the results stated that they wanted soccer instead.

So wylie now offers:

Cross Country (Boys & Girls)
Football
Basketball (Boys & Girls)
Swimming (Boys & Girls competing at a 4A level)
Baseball/Softball
Soccer (Boys & Girls competing at a 4A level)
Tennis (Boys & Girls)
Golf (Boys & Girls)
Track & Field (Boys & Girls)

and now Volleyball:clap: