PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Div. I-AA going away

3afan
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
... in name only. I-AA will be known as the "Football Championship Subdivision" and I-A as the "Football Bowl Subdivision"

In another action regarding the two football subdivisions in Division I, the Board approved new labels. The presidents approved a change in terminology to “Football Bowl Subdivision” for the former I-A classification and “NCAA Football Championship Subdivision” for the former I-AA group. The Collegiate Commissioners Association helped develop the new labels.

The presidents believe the new nomenclature, which becomes effective in December, more accurately distinguishes Division I institutions for purposes of governing football, the only sport for which such a distinction is necessary. Members felt the old nomenclature inaccurately tiered Division I institutions in all sports, not just football, and produced instances in which media outlets and other entities incorrectly cited institutions as being Division I-AA in basketball or baseball, for example.

“All Division I institutions, regardless of whether they sponsor football, are in fact and should be referred to as Division I members,” said Board Chair and University of Connecticut President Philip Austin. “The only reasons for labeling are the need to distinguish the two football subdivisions for the purpose of governing the sport and to maintain separate statistics. The Board is stressing that the nomenclature reflect the totality of the Division I membership whenever possible and that the subdivision labels be used sparingly. Still, there are instances in which we need to use them, and we feel the new labels are more accurate.”

The new nomenclature does not effect the voting structure used in Division I governance matters.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
hmmm, interesting

Old Tiger
08-15-2006, 08:16 PM
That's to confusing.

sahen
08-15-2006, 08:34 PM
i guess a couple I-AA schools got offended and filed a protest like the Indians?

AggieJohn
08-15-2006, 09:00 PM
somebody make that in simple folk terms so i can understand

CalallenWildcat
08-15-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
somebody make that in simple folk terms so i can understand

1-AA = Football Championship Subdivision
1-A = Football Bowl Subdivision

This is due to the NCAA thinking that 1-AA is not thought of as Division I members

sahen
08-15-2006, 09:05 PM
D1A = Football Bowl Subdivision
D1AA = NCAA Football Championship Subdivision

in other words they can all be considered D1....the big D1s get the Bowl name cause they play bowls and the smaller ones get the NCAA Football Championship because they play a tourney and win a NCAA Championship not a BCS one like the big boys...

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-15-2006, 09:16 PM
the DI designation does not signify the size of the institution as there are many smaller DI's (Rice) and large DIAA's (Sam Hosuton for example).

Old Dog
08-15-2006, 10:30 PM
Sorry, but my "Old Fartness" is showing. This is just another in a long line of things a bunch of over educated, self righteous jerks are ruining for more and more of us.

It reminds me of how dogs have to pee on everything in site just to get their scent on it............................. and we are all supposed to say "oh my, how wonderful"!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'll take my Gerital and go to bed!

sahen
08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
the DI designation does not signify the size of the institution as there are many smaller DI's (Rice) and large DIAA's (Sam Hosuton for example). im aware of that...i just meant small as in small time.....not in an offensive small time way, just saying a D1-AA game vs. a D1-A game is pretty much small time vs. big time, most of the time the big boys win but every once and a while the small time guys pull one out.....its the way it is....

and yes old dog this is stupid, only people that dont pay attention to college sports dont understand that D1-AA is still D1, heck they are call D1-AA for a reason and not D2-AA.....and if a sports writer/announcer is messing that up then they are dumb, they should pay more attention to their work....but then again isnt this how the world normaly works, the people that only pay attention half the time/give half the effort are having trouble so lets change it for them..

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-16-2006, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by sahen
im aware of that...i just meant small as in small time.....not in an offensive small time way, just saying a D1-AA game vs. a D1-A game is pretty much small time vs. big time, most of the time the big boys win but every once and a while the small time guys pull one out.....its the way it is....

and yes old dog this is stupid, only people that dont pay attention to college sports dont understand that D1-AA is still D1, heck they are call D1-AA for a reason and not D2-AA.....and if a sports writer/announcer is messing that up then they are dumb, they should pay more attention to their work....but then again isnt this how the world normaly works, the people that only pay attention half the time/give half the effort are having trouble so lets change it for them..

I gotcha. I think it is crazy not to have a playoff system with the DIers. I like the bowls and all but I would much rather watch playoffs.

sahen
08-16-2006, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I gotcha. I think it is crazy not to have a playoff system with the DIers. I like the bowls and all but I would much rather watch playoffs. i think a majority of people would like to see a playoff system for D1-A but unfortunately the people that matter dont...there is still too much money that is tied into the bowl system for them to do away w/ it, hopefully one of these days we will get a playoff, the BCS is a move in that direction and beats the old system but it took many years just to do that, we might not see a playoff system for 20 or 30 more years....hopefully before then....

3afan
08-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
Sorry, but my "Old Fartness" is showing. This is just another in a long line of things a bunch of over educated, self righteous jerks are ruining for more and more of us.

It reminds me of how dogs have to pee on everything in site just to get their scent on it............................. and we are all supposed to say "oh my, how wonderful"!!!!!!!

Sorry, I'll take my Gerital and go to bed!

Old Dog - the NCAA, like the UIL, is comprised of membership schools and those schools ultimately have final say on these matters .... so the former I-AA members made this name change, not "over educated, self righteous jerks". they obviously felt the move was in their schools' best interest, for whatever reason(s). :)

kaorder1999
08-16-2006, 08:47 AM
i think thats stupid. People are always out to change something just for the sake of changing it. What about tradition? stupid move

Manck
08-16-2006, 09:38 AM
I personally don't like it because the word "Subdivision" in there is pretty awkward. There are a lot of words that would have worked that are less awkward.

League
Group
any others...