PDA

View Full Version : Corpus question

KTJ
08-15-2006, 03:53 PM
Why are there so many school districts?

Isn't Toluso-Midway and West Oso their own school districts? What about Calallen? Or is that part of CCISD?

Is it similar to San Antonio in the way it's set up? (Having multiple school districts and not just 1 main SAISD.)

piratebg
08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Isn't Toluso-Midway and West Oso their own school districts? What about Calallen? Or is that part of CCISD?

Is it similar to San Antonio in the way it's set up? (Having multiple school districts and not just 1 main SAISD.)

I have no idea why there are so many. TM, WO, Calallen, and Flour Bluff are all their own districts. They are not affiliated with CCISD,

htowntransplant
08-15-2006, 04:26 PM
whats the purpose of west oso school district? or heck even TM and calallen....technically its corpus city limits. they ought to quit being rebels and join the dark side....known as ccisd.

Maroon87
08-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
whats the purpose of west oso school district? or heck even TM and calallen....technically its corpus city limits. they ought to quit being rebels and join the dark side....known as ccisd.

T-M and Calallen were outside the city limits for many years until they were annexed in the 80's. I believe the same is true for Flour Bluff.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by KTJ

Calallen wants to be part of their own district. I have no idea why they do this, but its dumb.

Maroon87
08-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Calallen wants to be part of their own district. I have no idea why they do this, but its dumb.

I think it's good that they are seperate. They've been independent for God knows how long now. Besides...who wants to be part of CCISD?:confused:

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I had some relatives form Odem telling me that CC was attempting or wanted to attempt to annex Odem. I don't know how true this is, but if it were to ever happen, that would mean another non-CCISD school district to add to the mix.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I had some relatives form Odem telling me that CC was attempting or wanted to attempt to annex Odem. I don't know how true this is, but if it were to ever happen, that would mean another non-CCISD school district to add to the mix.

i told someone by 2020 that Odem and portland would be part of corpus... and that it would grow to be a huge metroplex

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
i told someone by 2020 that Odem and portland would be part of corpus... and that it would grow to be a huge metroplex

I could see them annexing Odem, but Portland will never become a part of the CC Metroplex. CC is beneath them. :rolleyes:

Bull Butter
08-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I think it's good that they are seperate. They've been independent for God knows how long now. Besides...who wants to be part of CCISD?:confused:

Amen to that!

sinton66
08-15-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
They've been trying to reach past the river for years. San Pat County puts the nix on them all the time. Besides, voters in Odem would never approve that.

Bull Butter
08-15-2006, 07:43 PM
When these school districts were established (1940's), they were pretty far out in the country, even West Oso. Corpus Christi has grown westward over the years. When Carroll HS was built in the late 1950's, it was in the middle of nowhere, just off Lexington Blvd. (the forerunner of SPID)

sinton66
08-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Corpus cannot annex Odem. Odem is an incorporated city. It could grow around Odem, but only if San Pat County lets them. I seriously doubt that's gonna happen. The two have been having border disputes for as long as I can remember. The city could grow north of the river on the West side of I37, because that is in Nueces County (also in the Calallen area).

Another thing you might take notice of when coming from Corpus to San Pat, look at the land area just north of the river on the EAST side of I37. It is now a Nature Preserve.

Bull Butter
08-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Here's what Corpus Christi and the rest of South Texas looked like on a 1948 road map. Notice how far Calallen is from the CC City Limits:eek:

http://www.texasfreeway.com/statewide/historic/road_maps/images/1948_texas_gulf_south_medres.jpg

sinton66
08-15-2006, 08:04 PM
Corpus has actually been spreading more to the South in recent years. They technically could spread all the way down to the Kleberg County line. Of course, the King Ranch wouldn't let them go any further, just like the Welder Ranch and the Angelita wouldn't let them come north into San Pat.

AggieJohn
08-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
They've been trying to reach past the river for years. San Pat County puts the nix on them all the time. Besides, voters in Odem would never approve that. they approved alcohol

sinton66
08-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Sure, everybody over here LIKES alcohol.:D

CalallenWildcat
08-15-2006, 08:42 PM
School districts in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi ISD
Calallen ISD - used to be it's own town and is independent because the area maintains it's own unique identity
Tuloso-Midway ISD - See Calallen
West Oso ISD - don't know why it's independent but they may go the way of Wilmer-Hutchins with WO's history
Flour Bluff ISD - See Calallen
London ISD - note: no high school. This area was recently annexed

SintonFan
08-15-2006, 08:52 PM
I agree with the others. It'll never happen.
Like someone knowledgeable said, all the main growth is on the So. side. Who knows, maybe Riviera might be 4A one of these days?;)

Phil C
08-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
[B]School districts in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi ISD
West Oso ISD - don't know why it's independent but they may go the way of Wilmer-Hutchins with WO's history

BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!

big daddy russ
08-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
School districts in Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi ISD
Calallen ISD - used to be it's own town and is independent because the area maintains it's own unique identity
Tuloso-Midway ISD - See Calallen
Flour Bluff ISD - See Calallen
London ISD - note: no high school. This area was recently annexed
Someone recently told me that New London was no longer its own town and now a part of the City of Corpus Christi. Our "zoo" is out there. Does that mean the three dogs, five goats, and the emu are within the CC city limits?