PDA

View Full Version : Sinton and Calallen might soon be losing some revenue...

Maroon87
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Odem gets beer sales on ballot
Those opposed cite safety, those in favor see revenue

By Beth Wilson Caller-Times
August 15, 2006

ODEM - The seven-mile beer run could be down to nothing if voters in November's election allow for sales of beer and wine at stores.

Proponents of such sales petitioned for the election and turned in 265 signatures last month. As set out by state law regarding changes in status of alcohol sales, county officials verified the signatures July 31 belonged to registered voters, and the issue was set for a vote in the Nov. 7 general election.

If approved, it would allow for sales of beer and wine at convenience and grocery stores. It does not allow on-site consumption at bars or restaurants.

Railroad Seafood Station is the only place in Odem to get a beer now. The restaurant on the city's south side invites diners to join a private club, which lets them drink inside the establishment. By establishing a private club, the restaurant can serve alcohol to its members even if it's in a dry area where alcohol sales are prohibited.

Owner Natalie Hinojosa said that when the restaurant opened in 2004, diners could bring in their own liquor and wine. But with the private club, which started in March, the club can sell alcoholic drinks to members. Odem stores could see those benefits if this election is approved, she said.

"It's time," Hinojosa said.

Voters have turned down alcohol sales in the past. A 1991 election failed with 195 against the sale of beer and wine and 142 in favor. Odem now has an estimated population of 2,484. In the last gubernatorial election, 752 residents voted. For now, Odem residents travel seven miles to Sinton, or a similar distance to the Calallen area and bring back beer and wine.

In doing so, they leave behind the tax revenue on those purchases and others made during the out-of-town quests, said Reed Hartzog, owner of Reed's Supermarket, the city's only grocery store.

"It's a tremendous amount of windfall the city is overlooking," Hartzog said.

"Why should we give our money to Sinton and Calallen when it should be here?" he said.

Steve Cotham organized a similar petition in March, but it lacked the required signatures of 263 registered city voters. Cotham still supports the issue. For him, it's about convenience, revenue and safety.

Cotham said he's heard residents worried about increases in alcoholism and accidents if beer sales are allowed in town, but those problems already exist.

"Your drinkers are your drinkers whether we sell it here or not," he said.

Hartzog expects some opposition based on moral reasons, but he said an election won't change someone's lifestyle.

The drive is seen as a deterrent for some, including Maria Rodriguez. "You don't want it that accessible," she said. "I like my town just the way it is - dry. I think of it more for the safety of our children than the revenue of our town."

First Baptist Church Pastor Wade Rush agreed.

"The city's always been dry, and we feel it keeps our city cleaner in many different ways," he said.

He said he'll advise his 200 members to vote against it for that and other safety reasons. Rush said people already are driving to drink, and while that may result in accidents, increasing the availability of alcohol also could result in an increase in accidents.

Odem Mayor Pro Tem Billy Huerta said the council won't take a position on the election and hasn't considered changing the alcohol rules with council action. But Huerta said he's in favor of such sales.

"I think it would be good for our tax dollars," he said. "Everyone has a choice. You don't have to buy beer just because it's here."

Mathis is also looking to increase its alcohol options. A petition to allow beer for on-site consumption was turned in Monday. The city already allows for beer sales at stores. Portland voters overwhelmingly approved restaurant sales of beer and wine in 2005, with a vote of 959-230. Several previous attempts failed to get enough support to get on the ballot.

Contact Beth Wilson at 886-3748 or HYPERLINK mailto:wilsonb@caller.com wilsonb@caller.com.

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
:thinking: I thought they tried again just recently and it still didn't pass??

piratebg
08-15-2006, 04:00 PM
All of my Odem relatives signed the petition real quick. :D
And I had an uncle that was interviewed by Channel 10 about it.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
All of my Odem relatives signed the petition real quick. :D
And I had an uncle that was interviewed by Channel 10 about it.

your relatives accounted for over half the sigs... my relatives accounted for the other half...

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2006, 04:47 PM
You know, I think Odem needs to worry more about the fact that trying to maneuver safely through their town is darn near impossible because of Highway 77 traffic. The lack of reduced speed, lights, turning lanes and basic infrastructure should take priority over fretting about beer and wine sales.

Just my ever-so-humble OPINION.:D

piratebg
08-15-2006, 04:50 PM
The lights in Odem don't bother me. The trains, on the other hand, are a true test of patience.

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
The lights in Odem don't bother me. The trains, on the other hand, are a true test of patience.

true enough...I think the speed of the traffic is what bothers me most. They need a bypass...those words would send shivers down the spine of Odem business owners probably.:cool:

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:16 PM
I'll be happy if this thing passes. It would help eliminate drunks, like my Uncle Fred, from having to drive back and forth to Sinton or Calallen when their supply is out.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I'll be happy if this thing passes. It would help eliminate drunks, like my Uncle Fred, from having to drive back and forth to Sinton or Calallen when their supply is out.

have you ever been inside one of the small stores in Odem when some travelers are passing through... its HILARIOUS when they start looking around and think they are going crazy because they can't find the beer...

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
have you ever been inside one of the small stores in Odem when some travelers are passing through... its HILARIOUS when they start looking around and think they are going crazy because they can't find the beer...

It's funny to watch the frustration, and then to see the look on their face when you tell them that there is no beer in town.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:36 PM
It's funny to watch the frustration, and then to see the look on their face when you tell them that there is no beer in town.

that look is priceless...

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
What you really have to wonder about is how it is going to affect the black market in Odem. Do you know how much money people make selling beer by the bottle from the trunk of their car or garage?

AP Panther Fan
08-15-2006, 05:52 PM
What you really have to wonder about is how it is going to affect the black market in Odem. Do you know how much money people make selling beer by the bottle from the trunk of their car or garage?

:eek: :eek: :eek: Who woulda thought it?;)

I hope it passes for your Uncle Fred too!:D

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
What you really have to wonder about is how it is going to affect the black market in Odem. Do you know how much money people make selling beer by the bottle from the trunk of their car or garage? :thinking: Maybe that's why it hasn't passed in the past! ;) :eek: