PDA

View Full Version : College or Pro Football

eagles_victory
08-15-2006, 03:11 PM
Saw a poll on espn which one is liked more college or pro and its a tie both have 50 percent through 56,000 votes. So I was going to see what the downlow thinks

Old Tiger
08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
College for me

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Geez... ONE sided.

piratebg
08-15-2006, 05:08 PM
I voted Pro, but in actuallity I prefer College on Saturday and Pro on Sunday. I don't think you can like one and not the other.

Blastoderm55
08-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Need a High School Football option. :D

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 05:11 PM
You just see more heart in college... and unless you're caught carrying 500 pounds of reefer and 34 pistols in your trunk you're gunna be on that same team your whole career, so basically you'll have a little more pride on it...

basically it's like high school football 'cept the better athletes are playing and are getting better...

since this is a high school board I am not shocked to see college ball running away in this poll...

pantherpop
08-15-2006, 08:05 PM
Pro football as long as the Cowboys are on TV

Emerson1
08-15-2006, 08:10 PM
College, watched a game every night during last season

I only watch NFL if the cowboys are on, I've never even watched a whole quarter of the superbowl the past few years.

sweetwater07
08-15-2006, 08:30 PM
i love watching the running game...and with pro football it seems as though the running game is not that common...and when it is...its for 3-7 yards....wow!!!...i love watching the HB's make the game look like a track meet!!!

maestro
08-15-2006, 10:10 PM
college.....

nothing beats the emotion......and the loyality.....

give the games where ron franklin is calling the games.....and espn is on campus throughout the day......

eagles_victory
08-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by maestro
college.....

give the games where ron franklin is calling the games.....and espn is on campus throughout the day...... I hate Ron Franklin I just wish one time he would say SNAP everytime a field goal is kicked he says its a good pass the hold is down its good. it gets on my nerves lol i know its a little thing but still.

neck_06
08-15-2006, 10:13 PM
All college sports are better than all pro sports.

nothing can beat:

a) school pride
b) the tension
c) rivalries
d) not having Bill Walton announcing games
e) "Whoa, Nelly!"
f) "Slam, Jam, Bam, Baby!"

Tweeder215
08-15-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
All college sports are better than all pro sports.

nothing can beat:

a) school pride
b) the tension
c) rivalries
d) not having Bill Walton announcing games
e) "Whoa, Nelly!"
f) "Slam, Jam, Bam, Baby!"

:clap: :clap: :clap: I couldn't agree more.

SnyTigBaseB07
08-15-2006, 10:58 PM
College by far!

in the collegiate league you dont have the same motivation as you do in the NFL, in college you just wanna be the best and to be noticed and respected...in NFL you have douches like T.O who care about nothing but money, and dont have the love for the game anymore. so college all the way

sahen
08-15-2006, 11:32 PM
on a highschool football board i would expect this result...everyone here likes highschool football cause of the hometown ties and amateur part of the game, college is very similiar just ona much bigger scale....

BMOC
08-16-2006, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by SnyTigBaseB07
College by far!

in the collegiate league you dont have the same motivation as you do in the NFL, in college you just wanna be the best and to be noticed and respected...in NFL you have douches like T.O who care about nothing but money, and dont have the love for the game anymore. so college all the way

Speaking of the douches, did you see how Moss was acting during the Raiders game? That dude is a cancer!

LEROY
08-16-2006, 07:58 AM
COLLEGE--------------

CHS_CG
08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
To me it depends on what teams are playing i enjoy both NFL and College ball

AggieJohn
08-16-2006, 08:13 AM
1. Super Bowl
Let's call it Payoffs versus Playoffs, and you can pretty much figure where we're going here, right? The NCAA has sanctioned 32 bowl games for Division I teams in the coming season. They are named for everything from automobile care services to chicken sandwiches to hair creams to insurance companies to an unforgettable Texas landmark to a dippin' chip that has long been one of our snacking vices. And at the end of those 32 bowl games, the college participants will have a lot of cash in their coffers, but still might not have a legitimate champion that is beyond debate.

2. Hope springs eternal
Every summer, when the NFL's 32 teams convene for training camp, about 25 of them actually believe they have a legitimate chance to make it to the playoffs. Know why? Because they do. Over the last five seasons, all but five franchises -- Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, Houston and New Orleans -- have qualified for postseason play at least once.

3. Hope springs eternal II
Competitive balance (or lack thereof) II: As usual, nearly one-quarter of the NFL's regular-season games in 2005 were decided by three points or less. The actual count was 23.4 percent, or 60 of 256 contests. And 44.5 percent (114 of 256) of the outcomes were decided by seven points or less. Those numbers have remained pretty steady for the past decade. There are no numbers that hold steady at the elite levels of the college game, where the scoreboards might as well be tote boards at a telethon.

The top 10 teams from the final polls last year combined to play only 27 games decided by a touchdown or less. On the flip side, they played 61 games decided by 20 points or more, 37 in which the final margin was 30-plus points, 17 decided by more than 40 points and nine decided by 50-plus points. Yeah, the NFL still has some sad-sack teams, but they aren't nearly as hapless as the opening-game or homecoming opponents of those universities that annually nest in the top 10.

4. You call that enlightened?
There are now 119 football programs in the NCAA playing at the Division I level. All of them, we presume, are essentially presided over by enlightened university presidents or chancellors. Then again, if they're so enlightened, how come only four of the 119 programs employ black head coaches? On the flip side, NFL owners are pretty much a fraternity of rich guys who, trust us, are on the conservative side of things. Yet there are seven black head coaches among the league's 32 teams.

5. Easy call
Speaking of "Oh, my!" -- which barely edges out "Whoa, Nellie" for the dubious honors -- that's the best the college game can do for a signature call by its transcendent television play-by-play personality of the past 30 years or so? What's up with that? (Actually, that might be a better call for NCAA games, so feel free to borrow it.) Virtually every home team radio play-by-play announcer or color analyst has one terrific, colorful signature call. We'd pay big money to hear one more "Double Yoi!" uttered by old friend Myron Cope, the longtime (now retired) Pittsburgh Steelers radio analyst. Oh, my? C'mon.

6. Something to cheer for
Unless Playboy is going retro on us, and reprising one of those "Girls of the Big Ten" or "Girls of the SEC" photo spreads that used to run regularly this time of year, you don't see much skin from college cheerleaders. As for the NFL, well, have you ogled the Raiderettes lately? Or just about any other NFL cheerleader unit? Case closed.

7. Elevating the game
The United States Army exhorts recruits to "be all that you can be." The NFL drafts players and then forces them -- or, in some cases, builds them up -- to become the best they can be. And they do it, in part, by exploiting every ounce of a player's talent. During his four college seasons at TCU, for instance, tailback LaDainian Tomlinson ran in a "veer" offense, rarely had to pound the ball between the tackles, and was virtually ignored as a receiver. Tomlinson caught 22 passes for 236 yards in college, and even though the San Diego Chargers had no qualms about using the fifth overall selection in the 2001 draft to grab him, they didn't know if Tomlinson could catch a cab, let alone a football.

But the Chargers made him into an excellent all-around back, complementing Tomlinson's breathtaking running skills with very good ball-catching abilities. In five NFL seasons, Tomlinson has never had fewer than 53 receptions or 367 receiving yards. In the college game, the coaches too often make a player what they want him to be. In the NFL, those same players have an opportunity to display their full range of abilities.

8. Elevating the game II
In his four seasons at the University of Tennessee, Peyton Manning never beat the University of Florida. In his eight NFL campaigns, the Indianapolis Colts star is 11-9 against franchises from the state of Florida. And that includes an 8-3 mark since 2002. Against the NFL team that's located closest to Gainesville, Fla., home of the Gators, the Jacksonville Jaguars, he is 7-2. So, yeah, we know what you're thinking: Pasquarelli, you idiot, the whole 0-4 deal versus Florida must demonstrate that the college game was actually more difficult for Manning, right? Our counter: Hey, look, we made a slam-dunk case for why the NFL is superior after item No. 1, we're struggling a little here to come up with 20, and oblige us some skewed logic, please. In our little NFL corner of the world, Manning is seen as a far better NFL quarterback, surrounded by more talent, more able to take advantage of all his skills physical and mental, and headed for the Hall of Fame.

9. Traveling in style
You don't need to fly a puddle-jumper to get to any NFL city. Yep, they've even got real, live jet service into Green Bay now. We concede, a lot of it is regional jet service, but those 50-seaters are a whole lot better than the noisy turboprops that still ferry fans and media types to some college hinterlands.

10. Leave the animals at home
College game: Bulldogs, bison, bulls and horses are trotted out for games and occasionally leave behind a "gift" that needs to be shoveled up by the grounds crew. NFL: No live animal mascots in attendance, so only the players bomb on the field.

11. Counter-34 Pike
Say what? It's the play on which Pittsburgh tailback Willie Parker raced 75 yards for a touchdown, on the second snap of the second half, to break open Super Bowl XL. What's so special about Counter-34 Pike? Be honest, how often do you see a 75-yard touchdown run in any NFL game? Or, for that matter, a 40-yard touchdown run? Not too often. Heck, turn on any college game and a long scoring run of 40, 50, 60 yards is apt to occur every quarter, because, as noted above, the games are often decided by 40, 50 or 60 points. A guy like, say, Oklahoma tailback Adrian Peterson can go 50 yards in a blink, not necessarily because the play was well blocked, but because he's a talent mismatch against 70 percent of the rest of the players on the field.

In the NFL, you earn long runs, they must be masterfully blocked, they are, dare we say without being accused of getting soft, a thing of beauty. Break out the DVD of Super Bowl XL and watch Counter-34 Pike. Then rewind it and watch it again. And again. You see left guard Alan Faneca pull all the way to the right and bury Seattle strongside linebacker LeRoy Hill? Now look at right guard Kendall Simmons demolishing "under" tackle Chuck Darby and right tackle Max Starks simply enveloping middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu. Truth be told, Parker had the easiest job of any of the key players in the run. The point is, to have such a long running play in the NFL, everything has to be perfect. In college, most such plays are a product of the imperfections of the respective talent level.

12. The Hall
The Pro Football Hall of Fame is located in Canton, Ohio, where the game actually originated when a bunch of guys huddled in an old Hupmobile showroom. The college football shrine is in Notre Dame, where a lot of people only think every good idea was hatched.

13. Rivalries
This much we readily concede: The college game features more passion, loyalty, devotion. Because of free agency, NFL fans now find themselves cheering for uniforms, not the guys who once wore them. But shortsighted college fans too often ignore the reality that there are great, riveting rivalries at the NFL level, too. Pittsburgh-Cleveland. Oakland-Kansas City. Dallas-Washington. Chicago-Green Bay. Sure, the history of collegiate football is a longer one and, in some ways, a richer one, too. But poised on its 87th season, the NFL is The Game. And it is so because every game counts, not just the homecoming mismatch or the opener against a Division I-AA pushover.

14. No kangaroo court
In the NCAA, when a player gets in trouble, the school is blamed for something called an absence of "institutional control." In the NFL, when a player is busted, he's usually sanctioned for lack of self-control. Granted, it often takes a ponderously long time for the NFL sanctions to come down. But the league office has an attorney running the show, and still believes in the concept of "due process," which has to be better than those NCAA kangaroo courts.

15. Put a cap on it
As much as it's manipulated at times, especially by the high-revenue franchises, the NFL at least has a salary cap, and that helps maintain the ever-critical competitive balance. It's determined by a formula in which the players share the league's overall revenues. The salary cap in the college game is defined by how deep the boosters want to dig into their pockets, and whether the hot-shot tailback recruit prefers an Escalade or a Navigator.

big daddy russ
08-16-2006, 12:12 PM
College without a doubt.

College is my favorite level bar none. Go watch a game in Irving, then go to Kyle Field, either Death Valley, Neyland, etc. Then try going back to see the Cowboys. It loses all its luster.

College is so much more passionate. These guys really get into the games, really support their teams, really hate each other all that jazz. And the NCAA fans don't hate each other in the way that the Cowboys "hate" the Redskins, but more the way that Hezbollah hates the Zionist pigs. Look at Ohio State-Michigan, Auburn-Bama, any of the Florida schools against each other, USC-Clemson, or A&M/OU-UT.

Besides that, as much as we all hate to admit it, we love the room for debate. Don't tell me for a second that you don't love the fact that you can argue that your team is every bit as good as the national champs and prove your point. Like two years ago, when Auburn went undefeated and Cal came within seconds of beating USC. We had fun with that one.

Most who like the NFL better than college feel disconnected from their college teams, but not me. I love me some college football.