PDA

View Full Version : Which Position Has the Biggest Impact On a Team?

Bullaholic
08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Which single position has the biggest impact on a team? Would you rather have an all-state running back, QB, or WR? Or an all-state DB or LB?

In Bridgeport's offense, an all-state QB would probably make the biggest difference because we air it out so much. Of course, you have to have decent receivers or the greatest QB in the world wouldn't matter that much.

Adidas410s
08-15-2006, 10:13 AM
in HS, a dominant running back will carry a team further than just about any position. Even if it's a team that runs a spread offense...the RB is there to keep the defense honest because they know he can break the game open at any time if they don't focus on him. This will then open up the passing game.

That being said...the same could often be said for a dual-threat QB these days. However, with a QB it becomes easier to focus in on him because you know he will have the ball in his hands every play. You don't know that with a RB yet you still have to key on him anyways.

LEROY
08-15-2006, 11:58 AM
If you can,t tote the rock, you can't go the distance.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:03 PM
IF them boys don't have water they're not goin' too far...

I say the leader of a great defense...

Macarthur
08-15-2006, 12:45 PM
I think a dual-threat QB or RB would be a tie (in HS). In other words, running the ball ensures a certain amount of success.

I think when you get to higher levels the better the QB, the more impact they can have on a team.

Adidas410s
08-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
IF them boys don't have water they're not goin' too far...

That was my thought as well....but figured I would give Bull a decent response!

LH Panther Mom
08-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
in HS, a dominant running back will carry a team further than just about any position. Even if it's a team that runs a spread offense...the RB is there to keep the defense honest because they know he can break the game open at any time if they don't focus on him. This will then open up the passing game.

That being said...the same could often be said for a dual-threat QB these days. However, with a QB it becomes easier to focus in on him because you know he will have the ball in his hands every play. You don't know that with a RB yet you still have to key on him anyways.
Without a good OL, both of these guys do diddly-squat.

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

I'm an OL guy myself, so I can respect that...

but without the RB/QB the OL wouldn't have jobs...

Bullaholic
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom

You're a "homer" and a "mom-er", LHPM. :D

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I'm an OL guy myself, so I can respect that...

but without the RB/QB the OL wouldn't have jobs... which came first the chicken or the egg??

It's why it is a TEAM sport!! :clap:

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
which came first the chicken or the egg??

It's why it is a TEAM sport!! :clap:

But that wasn't the question so I'll go with whoever is the hottest guy on the team! :doh: LMAO!

Tiger Baseball
08-15-2006, 02:40 PM
How many times have you lost to an extra point or a field goal???
It has to be a kicker. :clap:

DaHop72
08-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Tiger Baseball
It has to be a kicker. :clap: :eek: :eek: :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 03:03 PM
It has to be a kicker. :clap: I can remember ONE game we lost that way!! :weeping:

Bullaholic
08-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I can remember ONE game we lost that way!! :weeping:

You can't even begin to cry about PAT's. My Bulls lost to Monahans in the playoffs 43-42 last year, and scored 7 td's to their 6, but failed to make a single PAT. :(

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
You can't even begin to cry about PAT's. My Bulls lost to Monahans in the playoffs 43-42 last year, and scored 7 td's to their 6, but failed to make a single PAT. :( Okay...you win.

STANG RED
08-15-2006, 03:14 PM

You really didnt have to bring that up! :(

Seriously though, I think you have to go with the QB, because he has his hands on the ball every play, and if he's a real good one, he can think on his feet, call audibles, and make quick decisions. If you've got a QB like that, the sky is the limit (i.e. Kase Keenum, Ab Wylie last 2 years), but if not, you can surround a bad QB with all the talent in the world, and still only have marginal success at best. There is no substitute for a great QB! A great QB can make up for alot of shortcomings a team may have otherwise. A team is only as good as it's leader.

DaHop72
08-15-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
You really didnt have to bring that up! :(

Seriously though, I think you have to go with the QB, because he has his hands on the ball every play, and if he's a real good one, he can think on his feet, call audibles, and make quick decisions. If you've got a QB like that, the sky is the limit (i.e. Kase Keenum, Ab Wylie last 2 years), but if not, you can surround a bad QB with all the talent in the world, and still only have marginal success at best. There is no substitute for a great QB! A great QB can make up for alot of shortcomings a team may have otherwise. A team is only as good as it's leader. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
08-15-2006, 03:18 PM

In Snyder's case it would be any defensive player that can keep
the TE from running down the middle of the field wide open.

See their first round play-off game last year.

DaHop72
08-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
In Snyder's case it would be any defensive player that can keep
the TE from running down the middle of the field wide open.

See their first round play-off game last year. Note to Red, he was in the corner of the end zone.:devil: :devil:

Tiger Baseball
08-15-2006, 03:24 PM
OK this is for both Reds I was not punching this at yall. Im just saying both teams can trade td's back and forth. If you lose by one then who had the biggest impact on the game, the kicker :D

STANG RED
08-15-2006, 05:38 PM
OK this is for both Reds I was not punching this at yall. Im just saying both teams can trade td's back and forth. If you lose by one then who had the biggest impact on the game, the kicker :D

I know your right TB, but I just hated being reminded!:mad: :D

Sadest part about it though. The kid was really a great kicker, his luck just ran out that night. He did redeem himself though, in exactly the same situation the next year against IP in regionals, and he nailed it right down the middle.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Kickers...
two words: Jerry Jurach...

Blastoderm55
08-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Kickers...
two words: Jerry Jurach...

Did he make it to play college ball? That dude could make just about any kick and was pretty good at LB if I remember correctly.

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Did he make it to play college ball? That dude could make just about any kick and was pretty good at LB if I remember correctly.

i dont think he tried to play college ball.
I do know that in warm ups before one game, he booted one from about the 50 yard line, no wind, and it cleared with ease.

piratebg
08-15-2006, 06:00 PM
I do know that in warm ups before one game, he booted one from about the 50 yard line, no wind, and it cleared with ease.

I remember that. There was one game in particular that he attempted one from the same spot. It had the distance but went a little wide left. From where I was at, we all thought it was good, but it wasn't. I remember as special teams left the field, the visiting team's fans gave him a standing ovation. It was awesome.

pirate4state
08-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I do know that in warm ups before one game, he booted one from about the 50 yard line, no wind, and it cleared with ease. I think he did, at A&M Kingsville but it didn't work out. :( I even think I heard something about him trying out for the Hammerheads? :thinking:

Fal44
08-15-2006, 07:26 PM
RB but he will need a good o-line... without blocking you really cant establish any kind of offense..