PDA

View Full Version : New Braunfels bans 'Jell-O shots' on rivers

kaorder1999
08-15-2006, 08:21 AM
New Braunfels bans 'Jell-O shots' on rivers

11:29 PM CDT on Monday, August 14, 2006

Associated Press

NEW BRAUNFELS, Texas – The New Braunfels City Council on Monday approved an anti-littering rule that targets "Jell-O shots" on local rivers despite some residents' complaints that the ordinance will be ineffective.

The ordinance does not specifically address the small cups of alcoholic gelatin but was crafted to focus on containers of 5 fluid ounces or less.

"I grew up on this river, and we were taught not to eat or drink anything on it," resident Mike Nate, an ordinance supporter, said in Tuesday editions of the New Braunfels Herald-Zeitung.

"There are plenty of places to stop around here and get a drink or a bite to eat."

Concerns about rowdy tubers downing shots and tossing the cups into the Guadalupe and Comal rivers spurred the ordinance. Already this year, floating parties provoked the City Council to increase fines for noise-ordinance violations and to ban "volume drinking devices" – better known as beer bongs.

But some residents said the ban on small fluid containers will be easily circumvented. They also argued that the ordinance will restrict common items such as small tubes of sunscreen, small bottles of juice, cups of pudding and apple sauce, and bottles of medication.

Councilwoman Gale Pospisil voted against the ordinance for that reason.

"It encompasses so many things other than Jell-O shot containers," she said.

At Monday's council meeting, resident Jay Patrick distributed nonalcoholic Jell-O shots in 6-ounce containers to make the point that nothing but the size of containers would change under the new ordinance.

"You can use 6-ounce containers, like these, or you can make Jell-O shots in ice trays," he said.

He said the city already has two littering ordinances and public intoxication is illegal.

"This is just going to create another problem," he said. "We're going in circles without making a difference."

kaorder1999
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
sorry jason

KTJ
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
I thought jell-o shots were always banned on the river. (well, at least on the Comal.)

PPHSfan
08-15-2006, 08:28 AM
Only girls drink Jello shots. And girls don't litter. Do they?

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:07 PM
man... guess we'll have to resort to throwing beer cans at 'em to see their tata's...

Gsquared
08-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
man... guess we'll have to resort to throwing beer cans at 'em to see their tata's...
Whatsa tata?

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Gsquared
Whatsa tata?

not better than two tata's is what a tata is...

garageoffice
08-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Whatsa tata?

:doh: :doh:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Jello-shot + girl wanting jello-shot on river = ( . )( . )

Gsquared
08-15-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Jello-shot + girl wanting jello-shot on river = ( . )( . )
Ohhh, ok, wow. I really feel the need to pray for you brotha! :doh:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:23 PM

yah... because if I have to start throwing beers at 'em I might get intoxicated manslaughter :eek:

luvhoops34
08-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Channel 5 news at noon just had a blurb about the jello shots. Seems like NB's city council screwed up and worded the ordinance wrong. The only thing they banned were 5oz jello shots. Didn't say a damm thing about 6 oz shots! Party on.....:clap:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Channel 5 news at noon just had a blurb about the jello shots. Seems like NB's city council screwed up and worded the ordinance wrong. The only thing they banned were 5oz jello shots. Didn't say a damm thing about 6 oz shots! Party on.....:clap:

:eek: WOW...

I've never taken jello shots on the river and could really care less... as long as I keep my beer and these idiots keep the river clean...

Adidas410s
08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
or to go with him on his next trip! :thumbsup:

Gobbla2001
08-15-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
or to go with him on his next trip! :thumbsup:

yah, needs to rain for that... I felt like a crab with all of that rock crawling I was doing this weekend...

but the 90 pound lady had no problem with getting stuck or anything... maybe I need to stop eating...