PDA

View Full Version : Just for the old farts.

PPHSfan
08-13-2006, 12:10 AM
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking .

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem .

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no text messaging, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and fou nd them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents .

We played with worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,

made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

PS -The big type is because your eyes are shot at your age !

sinton66
08-13-2006, 12:17 AM
Kinda funny just HOW true those really are.

kepdawg
08-13-2006, 12:17 AM
I was born in the 80's and quite a bit of that applies to me!

sinton66
08-13-2006, 12:20 AM
We swam in creeks, rivers, ponds, and irrigation tanks because there were no public pools. No professional ifeguards, just us, and nobody died from it.

bobcat1
08-13-2006, 05:58 AM
All true. Wish I could start all over again........... Brought back some great memories as well as spanked today's thinking. Thanks PPHSfan!:clap:

Old Green
08-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
All true. Wish I could start all over again........... Brought back some great memories as well as spanked today's thinking. Thanks PPHSfan!:clap: Those were the good old days. Every friends parent treated you if you were their on child. If you they saw you doing wrong you were disciplined by them and then they called your parents.

Bullaholic
08-13-2006, 09:20 AM
Did it all and lived, also, PPHSFan. What I would really like to see is your list like this for your HS thru college years. :D

NHSBulldog75
08-13-2006, 10:17 AM
On my 12th birthday, we got in my Dad's work car, drove to Wester Auto and I used my own money from mowing lawns to buy my first shotgun! (still have it!) As EARLY teens we all had shotguns that we bought with our own money and nobody got shot while they were hunting!

pantherpop
08-13-2006, 10:48 AM
Probably the worst part of it was when you couldn't get the old 8 track player to play right. Always had to stick a piece of folded up cardboard under the tape to get it working.

44INAROW
08-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
We swam in creeks, rivers, ponds, and irrigation tanks because there were no public pools. No professional ifeguards, just us, and nobody died from it.

We used to swim at "The Bell's tank" and had a blast.. only problem we had was LEECHES........eewww those are nasty, :eek: :D

pirate4state
08-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
We swam in creeks, rivers, ponds, and irrigation tanks because there were no public pools. No professional ifeguards, just us, and nobody died from it. LOL! When I think about those swims I cringe!! :doh: We didn't give a crap as kids, and nothing happened to us, but geez louise thinking back...that was just gross!!!! :D

Sweetwater Red
08-13-2006, 11:11 AM
I can actually think of an instance in my life that applies to each
and every one of those. :D

And now I'm kinda sad because those days went by so quickly.:(

pantherpop
08-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Around this area everyone would swim in the rice canals. No telling what kind of pesticides were in that water :eek:

SintonFan
08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
lol
I remember, during the big SoTX flood of '83 as we were riding the school bus home in driving sheets of rain. My bros car had stalled out in 2 foot water that was running across the highway and the bus couldn't get around it. Several of us simply got out of the bus and pushed the car past the water, while it was rushing by. lol
That was fun.:D
I remember alot of what you posted PPHSFan. So many truths there, but alas we are becoming like the French. How enlightening.:(

Old Dog
08-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the "LONG TERM" memories...............

Can't recall where I put the car keys, but I sure remember many of the things you cited.

GreenMonster
08-13-2006, 10:12 PM
I just barely fit into this group. Video game systems were out and available we just didn't have time to mess with them till after dark. Our day started around 9 everyday and we headed to the baseball fields about a block away from our houses. We stayed there until we got hot and hungry. We would all go together to someone's house and clean out the pantry. After lunch we somehow managed to fit in a little time for the chores that we were told to do by our parents and then we would meet back up to go swimming at someone's house. Somewhere around 5 we'd head back to the baseball fields and play ball until it got too dark to see the ball. Then we'd split up into groups of 2 or 3 and stay the night somewhere and play video games late into the night. Get up the next day and do it all over again the next day.

Tiger Baseball
08-13-2006, 11:53 PM
PPHS that was so awsome. I can picture everyone of those. One of the things I remember the most was the 3 story tree house that a bunch of us guys built...:D :D