PDA

View Full Version : New Newton Assistant Coach

Reveille
07-29-2002, 09:27 AM
I heard from a reliable source over the weekend that Coach Barbay has hired long time friend Gene Walkoviak as an assistant away from Coldsprings.
For those of you who don't remember or know Gene Walkoviak, he coached at Jasper for over twenty years. During his tenure Jasper was a perennial 4a playoff team.
What a coaching staff. Thumbs up to Curtis. With Curtis and Gene running the offense and W.T. taking care of the defense, Newton has just gone up a notch. I realize coaches don't play the games, but don't be suprised if Newton beats Jasper this year. If they do, you heard it here first.

Bulldog92
07-29-2002, 11:55 AM
That's scary for us Jasper fans, but great news for the Eagles. I know Coach Walkoviak very well and that guy can flat out coach. They may have one of the best staffs in Texas with that trio. Congrats to all concerned if this is true.

j_dog
07-31-2002, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Reveille:
[B] I heard from a reliable source over the weekend that Coach Barbay has hired long time friend Gene Walkoviak as an assistant away from Coldsprings. ......."

Wow, what a coup for Newton. I am glad they are in the same district and will have to go big school/small school. As if Newton needed another edge.... I would not relish the idea of possibly having to meet Newton in the playoffs.

I wish the best of luck to Walkoviak. Jasper perhaps did not fully appreciate him until he was gone.

Bulldog92
08-01-2002, 12:53 AM
Yeah, I can agree with that. Walkoviak made the Bulldogs program as strong as it is and worked countless hours in that fieldhouse to maintain it. I used to see his old green/yellow pickup truck there at 6am to sometimes 10 or 11pm. The only thing he loves more than the game are his family and the kids he coaches, which seem to be one in the same. It's too bad that people put so much pressure on him and never seemed to think about how much he did for all those kids, including me. Winning a state championship will be great someday, but nothing is more important than the impact a coach can have on his kids. He's a great guy and I wish him all the luck in the world with the Eagles...except for October 18th in the Doghouse.

bigcat8
08-01-2002, 09:35 AM
I thought he went to Kirbyville with Alvarez...
Originally posted by Bulldog92:
Yeah, I can agree with that. Walkoviak made the Bulldogs program as strong as it is and worked countless hours in that fieldhouse to maintain it. I used to see his old green/yellow pickup truck there at 6am to sometimes 10 or 11pm. The only thing he loves more than the game are his family and the kids he coaches, which seem to be one in the same. It's too bad that people put so much pressure on him and never seemed to think about how much he did for all those kids, including me. Winning a state championship will be great someday, but nothing is more important than the impact a coach can have on his kids. He's a great guy and I wish him all the luck in the world with the Eagles...except for October 18th in the Doghouse.

Bulldog92
08-01-2002, 10:22 AM
I don't think it was ever confirmed that he went anywhere. Alvarez was once one of Walkoviak's assistants, so that wouldn't shock me either. Personally, I think Newton is probably a better fit, but I know Kirbyville would like to get back where they used to be as a football power and he would be a big help in getting them there.

duckbutter
08-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Alvarez wanted him but for some reason it didn't work out. Walkoviak will be assistant principal and football coach for Newton. We are proud to have him on board.