PDA

View Full Version : New Victoria Memorial QB

Gobbler Fan
08-12-2006, 08:02 PM
Call from above leads to new quarterback at Victoria Memorial

Campbell and Memorial got a boost when an assistant coach brought along his promising son.
08/10/2006

By Jake Shaw/texasfootball.com

Jerry Campbell has friends in high places.

More accurately, the head coach of Victoria Memorial has friends in northern places.

Like every coach, Campbell used the summer to fill out a staff scathed by departures of promoted assistants. And also like other coaches, Campbell used his connections to find replacements.

He didn't look to nearby towns, though. Campbell took a call from Canada.

"A good friend of mine is the GM of the Edmonton Eskimos," Campbell said, referring to the Canadian Football League franchise. "He called me and told me about (Keith Barefield). (Barefield's) wife is from the San Antonio area and they wanted to get her closer to her dad."

At the time, Barefield was the head coach of the Shreveport Battle Wings, an Arena Football League franchise. He had previously spent time in Texas and was looking for a reason to get back to the state. Campbell made that possible.

Barefield, who will coach wide receivers and running backs, brings to Memorial coaching experience at all levels.

But more importantly -- at least to the immediate future -- Barefield brings with him his son, Keith Barefield Jr., a 6-3, 215-pound junior who will likely start at quarterback this year. That will make two Barefields starting at the position this season.

"His brother is the kid who started as a freshman at Memphis last year," Campbell said of Billy Barefield, the older brother of Keith Jr.

Billy started or played in four games at Memphis last year, including leading Memphis to an upset of then unbeaten UTEP. He was a solid recruit in his own right coming out of Evangel, getting interest from programs including Alabama and Notre Dame.

And while 5-foot-10 Billy has the memories of last season as well as the recruiting process, Keith Jr. has the size. His tall frame allowed him to play multiple offensive positions last year at Shreveport Evangel, one of Louisiana's premier prep teams.

Though the Vipers won't open up practice until next week, Keith Jr. already has turned heads.

"Watching him throw to the kids," Campbell said, "to me, he's the real deal."

That reputation has spread throughout Victoria. Keith Jr. said he's starting to witness the reputation carried by Texas high school football fans.

"I've kind of experienced a little of it," he said. "Walking around the city, people have said they've heard of me. I'm not used to that, but I think I'll like it."

It will help with the relocation, although the younger Barefield -- who will make his debut at the Texas Football Classic, said the move is for the best.

"It was hard to leave there because of all the relationships and friends there," he said, "but it's for the benefit of the family to move here -- it's a good opportunity for my dad.

"Evangel will be fine, so it really won't hurt anyone."

Least of all the Memorial offense.

More on transfers: Like Memorial, Wylie got a gift with the transfer of a quarterback. Patrick Witt committed to Nebraska not long after moving from Georgia to the DFW area.

Elsewhere, Derrius Bell of Arlington Grace Prep (check out his video here) transferred to Hillcrest after Grace Prep parted ways with former head coach Mike Barber. Bell is a Texas Top 300 player looking at Baylor, Wisconsin, Tulsa and UTEP.

The most difficult transfer to track has been former Canton receiver Houston Tuminello. The all-state junior receiver left Canton for Mesquite in March, then transferred to in June Gilmer to reunite with quarterback G.J. Kinne.

But Tuminello's transfer papers were marked with "transferring for athletic purposes" by the Mesquite staff, meaning he would have to sit out his junior season.

Instead, Tuminello will play at Colleyville Covenant Christian, which as a member of TAPPS is not affected by transfer rules.

maroogreen
08-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Anyone who thinks that talented (especially proven talent) sons don't play a part in coaches getting jobs in other districts is living in a fantasy land. And by saying that, I'm slamming neither the kid nor the parent. It's just the way of things. If I had to choose between a coach with no children in high school and a similarly-skilled coach with a son who just happens to be a hoss in a position we sorely need filled, it would be a no-brainer.

Of course, Evangel is certainly no slouch in the football department, to put it mildly, so to prove your ability at that school means you're going to be okay at one of the largest 5A schools in the state.

The first time I ever remember hearing about a situation like this was when Jason Contreras, this funny-looking kid from Sinton, moved to Gregory-Portland his freshman year when his dad was hired as a GP coach. By his sophomore year, he was the starting quarterback of a then-legendary south Texas program. And I assure you, his dorkiness was loooonnnng gone! :inlove:

Adidas410s
08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Elsewhere, Derrius Bell of Arlington Grace Prep (check out his video here) transferred to Hillcrest after Grace Prep parted ways with former head coach Mike Barber. Bell is a Texas Top 300 player looking at Baylor, Wisconsin, Tulsa and UTEP.

:thinking: :thinking: Athletic reasons??? :confused:

3afan
08-13-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by maroogreen
Anyone who thinks that talented (especially proven talent) sons don't play a part in coaches getting jobs in other districts is living in a fantasy land.

no kidding, that obvious .....

AggieJohn
08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
tuminello is running his career before it starts