PDA

View Full Version : Hakeem Olajuwon

AggieJohn
08-12-2006, 01:17 PM
Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2GdsxK50ww)

I like Phil like to watch old championship games. I have a question thought, watching this, as soon as the rockets won, Hakeem doesn't want to be touched and just sits on the side and watches. Why do you think he didn't take part of the festitivities..until much later

second championship (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0jrhRUj0jo)

same thing the next year....

Blastoderm55
08-12-2006, 01:28 PM
Muslim?

Sweetwater Red
08-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Muslim?

Yeah, He was loved in Houston. There wasn't any bad blood
there I wouldn't think between him and the team or front office.

Good call. :clap:

District303aPastPlayer
08-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Muslim?

i believe so

AggieJohn
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
i know that he was muslim, but i didn't think that that had anything to do with it.....i thought muslims could celebrate....i thought it was J.W.'s that couldn't

Blastoderm55
08-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Courtesy of Wikipedia

In Olajuwon's college career and early years in the NBA, he was often undisciplined, talking back to officials, getting in minor fights with other players such as Magic Johnson, and amassing personal fouls. Olajuwon took an active interest in spirituality, becoming a devout Muslim. In March 9, 1991, he altered his name to the proper Arabic spelling, saying, "I'm not changing the spelling of my name, I'm correcting it". Olajuwon was still recognized as one of the league's elite centers despite his strict observance (e.g., fasting during daylight hours) of Ramadan, which occurred during the NBA season during virtually all of his career and is usually a handicap for Muslim athletes. While he had an excuse accepted by the Koran for being able to replenish fluids during pre-sunset games, he still refrained from drinking water during games before sundown. He also gained recognition for his sportsmanship and his charitable pursuits. He speaks several languages and displays an appreciation of fine art. With co-author Peter Knobler, Hakeem wrote his autobiography, Living the Dream, published in 1996.

Sweetwater Red
08-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I have never liked Shaq. But, I felt sorry for him when Houston
played Orlando in the Finals. Hakeem took him to the wood shed
the whole series. Towards the end Shaq looked lost and confused
about how he should try to defend Hakeem.

Crimestick
08-12-2006, 11:44 PM
Maybe he was praying thanks.

3afan
08-13-2006, 09:12 AM
or maybe he was tired

Phil C
08-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i know that he was muslim, but i didn't think that that had anything to do with it.....i thought muslims could celebrate....i thought it was J.W.'s that couldn't

Aggie I admire the JW church.