PDA

View Full Version : Which state should own bragging right as being the best for high school football?

fury900
08-12-2006, 12:33 PM
MAXPREPS POWER POLL

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Content/Article.mxp/ArticleID-44cc8fdf-ffc1-423d-a5e1-44b579c69ae0

Which state should own bragging right as being the best for high school football?

California
36%

Texas
33%

Florida
11%

New Jersey
7%

Ohio
7%

Georgia
3%

North Carolina
3%

858 Votes

AggieJohn
08-12-2006, 12:35 PM
were talking about 12 or so people that the difference for the two states....

maestro
08-12-2006, 12:38 PM
well....i wager this.....

that EVERY SINGLE GAME TELEVISED THIS YEAR, CABLE OR OTHERWISE, will likely have a Texas h.s. player on the roster.

always makes me wonder why they left Texas to go play in a far off western city.......

Macarthur
08-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Well, I saw the numbers a couple of years ago and Texas puts many more players in D1. Almost 100-150 more per year than Florida or Cali.

However, when you look at the number of kids going D1 as a percentage of the total kids that play in the state (per capita), that's where the Florida's, Georgia's and even Louisiana's are "better" than Texas.

big daddy russ
08-12-2006, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Well, I saw the numbers a couple of years ago and Texas puts many more players in D1. Almost 100-150 more per year than Florida or Cali.

However, when you look at the number of kids going D1 as a percentage of the total kids that play in the state (per capita), that's where the Florida's, Georgia's and even Louisiana's are "better" than Texas.
Louisiana has the most per capita while Texas spits out the most overall (about 350 D-I prospects per year). Cali and Florida both routinely hover between 200 and 300, with Cali regularly getting around 265 and Florida more routinely in the 230-range.

For the atmosphere, quality of play, the whole shebang, I don't think anyone's going to argue that Texas is number one. If it wasn't, why would anyone want to compare their state's HS football with ours? Just remember this quote from the beginning of "Remember the Titans."

"In Virginia, high school football is a religion. It's ALMOST as big here as it is in Texas."

Sweetwater Red
08-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
"In Virginia, high school football is a religion. It's ALMOST as big here as it is in Texas."

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-12-2006, 02:16 PM
I just voted for Texas. 958 total votes now.

Sweetwater Red
08-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Just for the heck of it I went and looked at the University of
Michigan's roster. There's usually always a handful of Texas kids
on it. Not this year though. Only one...

71 Mark Ortmann OL 6-6 299 So. Klein, Texas (Klein)

Is the state of Texas beginning to do a better job of keeping
their kids in state?

Blastoderm55
08-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I just popped in that flick and the line is "a way of life" and "bigger than Christmas". Is it somewhere outside of the opening monologue?

big daddy russ
08-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I just popped in that flick and the line is "a way of life" and "bigger than Christmas". Is it somewhere outside of the opening monologue?
My bad. Going off memory... but there was a point in the movie where they mentioned Texas specifically. Give me a sec, I'll ask my girlfriend if she can pop it in for me and check out that part.

injuredinmelee
08-12-2006, 06:18 PM
Go to Cali and watch a high school game. Trash

Ohio is a closer foe to Texas as far as high school football.