PDA

View Full Version : Free agents compete for Mavs' final roster spot

kepdawg
08-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Free agents compete for Mavs' final roster spot

07:49 PM CDT on Friday, August 11, 2006

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Former first-round pick Ndudi Ebi will be among four free agents competing for a Mavericks roster spot in training camp.

The players and the team have reached agreements on training camp contracts.

Ebi, 22, will be joined by 6-5 swingman Pat Carroll, 23, and two point guards, 6-2 Darius Washington, 20, and 6-0 Juan Jose Barea, 22. The four are vying for the 15th and final spot on the roster, assuming the team does not sign a veteran.

"What you have are four young guys with upside who are worth investing in," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said.

Ebi, a 6-9 forward who played at Houston Westbury Christian, jumped to the NBA from high school. He was taken 26th by Minnesota in 2003, three spots ahead of Josh Howard.

But he played just 19 games in two seasons before being released in November. Ebi spent last season with Fort Worth in the National Developmental League and attended Hakeem Olajuwon's big man camp in Houston this week.

"I think Ndudi was too young, too unprepared for the NBA the first time," Olajuwon told the Houston Chronicle. "Now I see stronger, more confident moves. ... I think he's ready."

The Mavericks also are intrigued by the point guards. Washington was undrafted after his sophomore year at Memphis, where he was a two-year starter in a strong program. A scorer first, Washington is still learning his position.

Barea is a more traditional point guard. He excelled at mid-major Northeastern (2,290 career points) and was impressive in three appearances for Puerto Rico at the Global Games. He must prove he can play against NBA competition.

Carroll, who played at St. Joseph's, is the younger brother of Charlotte's Matt Carroll and has a similar game – including a nice perimeter shot. He rebounded from a serious shoulder injury to average 16.4 points for Houston in the Vegas Summer League.

E-mail ccarlton@dallasnews.com