PDA

View Full Version : For you Aggie fans...

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2006, 08:10 PM
First, let me say I can't believe I'm about to post this..... ;)

The Eagle (Bryan-College Station)

A&M to start ad campaign this fall

Texas A&M University plans to launch a nearly $1 million marketing campaign this fall that focuses on the university's core values as a way to attract quality students.

The campaign, "Welcome to Aggieland," is the first of its kind for the university and will give prospective students and their parents a better understanding of A&M, university officials said.

Steve Moore, chief marketing officer and vice president for communications, on Wednesday unveiled details about the campaign.

The Aggie and former vice president of Coca-Cola was hired by the university last year to fill a newly created position to oversee marketing, internal communications, Web site development and media relations.

Moore said it was his goal to go beyond the typical "beakers and backpacks" campaigns often used in higher education and dig a little deeper - evoking emotions and focusing on what sets A&M apart from other universities.

"Giving a true picture of A&M is tough because we are this combination of head and heart that a lot of people are not," Moore said. "When you don't position yourself, others do it for you, and that positioning is fairly limiting."

During the past year, focus groups spanning various student organizations and study areas were assembled to identify six core values that represent A&M.

Moore said those values are leadership, excellence, integrity, loyalty, selfless service and welcoming - aspects of the university that will be highlighted in the new marketing campaign.

Moore also unveiled a new purpose statement for the university - "to develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good."

It's a statement that doesn't mention the word "education," but Moore said it relays a simple message: That A&M gives students the know-how and the tools to make a difference in the world.

"If it can't stand up to this, then we are not on the right track," he said.

This week, a film crew from GSD&M, an Austin-based advertising agency that has worked with companies such as Chili's, Krispy Kreme, Southwest Airlines and Wal-Mart, will be shooting footage on campus for recruitment videos and commercial spots.

The footage will be used in a 90-second video set to be shown at the first Aggie football game Sept. 2. The game will likely serve as the launch of the campaign, Moore said. The video also will be shown at speaking engagements and recruitment days.

An advertisement spread heralding the launch of the "Welcome to Aggieland" slogan is expected to run in Texas Monthly magazine in the next few months.

Moore said exact costs for the marketing campaign are not yet available, but he said it's below $1 million.

"We don't have a marketing budget," he said. "We are doing everything as economical as we can."

The marketing materials are expected to be sent to high school counselors around the state, with a special effort to include rural areas. Moore also said plans are in the works for reaching students on a national level, but the details have not been finalized.

Sherylon Carroll, a spokeswoman for A&M said the campaign will not only benefit A&M but the community as a whole.

"I think its a plus-plus for Bryan-College Station and all of the Brazos Valley," said Carroll, a Bryan native. "This makes us all feel good about this place we call home."

Moore said the aim of the campaign is to attract quality students who share A&M's dedication to values and tradition. He said there is not a goal of reaching students with a certain grade point average, race or background. Instead, he said, the aim is to appeal to a certain psychographic, not demographic.

"It's not going to appeal to everyone," Moore said. "The main thing for us is to talk about who we are."

The younger generation, or Millennial generation, is being characterized as being civic-minded, team-oriented and high-achieving - the perfect match for A&M, Moore said.

"It's finally getting cool to be A&M, and that hasn't always been the case," he said. "Our values are becoming cool again."

Ed Note: The “film crew” mentioned in the article includes Chuck Meehan, Brian Born, Monique Veillette, Steve Shaw, Paige Downey and Bo Bradbury. (editors note is from my company)

lostaussie
08-11-2006, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
First, let me say I can't believe I'm about to post this..... ;)

[/i] (editors note is from my company) why? i thought it was a good article.

Bullaholic
08-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
why? i thought it was a good article.

Aussie, I don't think LHPM is saying she was hesitant to post the article because of its content, but rather she knows that anything strongly pro aTm or UT is always met with posts from the opposite camp, which are not necessarily complimentary, and one thing leads to another until a "bashing" contest usually ensues. However, I won't attempt to speak for LHPM--I can only guess.

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
why? i thought it was a good article.
Oh, it was, but I'm a Red Raider fan. :D I was actually kind of surprised with the whole thing, knowing that the partners of the company I work for are UT grads. ;) And yes, Bull....

pirate4state
08-12-2006, 01:22 AM
I think someone needs to read my 8000th post! ;) :nerd: