PDA

View Full Version : Adidas, Emerson, or anyone else who's a nut about NCAA Football...

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Why in the world does it become impossible to do anything on the game during your second or third season with the program?

I'm playing "campus legend" as a RB from TCU. First year, I rushed for 3,800 yds. Second year, 3,500. Third year ain't going so great. Seems like there's someone there as soon as I hand the ball off, and either my QB gets hit before the hand off, my RB gets hit right after the handoff, or he fumbles it. I've lost two of my last three games-- to San Diego State and Wyoming-- and I'm absolutely perplexed. For some reason, I can't complete a pass to save my life, either. Even when the receiver is wide open, my QB is standing in one spot (not moving around), and I put a nice touch on the ball.

I had 245 yards of total offense against San Diego State with 8 turnovers-- 6 of which were fumbles and 2 of which were bobbled passes that turned into picks. I've only averaged around 275 yds per game these past three games and have had about 6 turnovers per game.

Oh, and my RB's carry rating is a 96, just so you know.

Another thing I noticed is that the momentum meter is always tipped in their favor, even after I drive the length of the field and score. I was up 10-0 two games ago, then picked up five first downs on the way to a TD. At home. And I still only had a +2 momentum rating. Then they got the ball back, picked up two first downs and drove down to my 35, and they suddenly have +2 momentum.

What gives? I know NCAA '05 did that, too, but I could still dominate that game on the most difficult settings. I can't even dominate this game on the regular settings.

District303aPastPlayer
08-11-2006, 12:53 PM
i dont like 07... i like 06...

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I have only played about 7 or 8 games on NCAA 07...so I'm not sure about the 3rd and 4th seasons. From what I have read, evidently there are AI enhancements in the game and the game (i.e. your opponents) will adapt to your style of play over time...not just during the game. This may be what is happening.

What playbook do you use? (team, generic, or custom)
What type of running game do you use? Inside...outside...option...zone read???
What formations are you running out of? One back, I, shotgun? What is your balance of run to pass plays and ydg avg?
What type of passing game are you using? (vertical/west coast or more short, crossing routes)
What formations are you passing from?

Answer those questions...that should give me a good base of info to work with and we can look at re-tooling your offensive strategy.

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I have only played about 7 or 8 games on NCAA 07...so I'm not sure about the 3rd and 4th seasons. From what I have read, evidently there are AI enhancements in the game and the game (i.e. your opponents) will adapt to your style of play over time...not just during the game. This may be what is happening.

What playbook do you use? (team, generic, or custom)
What type of running game do you use? Inside...outside...option...zone read???
What formations are you running out of? One back, I, shotgun? What is your balance of run to pass plays and ydg avg?
What type of passing game are you using? (vertical/west coast or more short, crossing routes)
What formations are you passing from?

Answer those questions...that should give me a good base of info to work with and we can look at re-tooling your offensive strategy.
Playbook- TCU default

Running game- usually inside, but I'll do a zone read from time to time... Option always gets tagged before it takes off and the outside game rarely gets yards for me. Not enough team speed or outside blocking.

Formation- Usually operate out of an ace formation, but I'll switch to an offset I if they're blowing through the line too much or a spread shotgun if I want to spread out the defense.

Usually pass from a one-back formation or a shotgun. Typically go with either fly patterns or crossing routes. I may be too in love with the plays that have both.

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I may be too in love with the plays that have both.

This is definitely possible. In 05 and 06...I could get away with running about 10 plays against most people but it would come back to haunt me against good players and I never spent enough time learning the playbooks to be able to rely on other plays/formations.

Two other bits of info...what is the speed of your RB, QB, and the overall ratings on your LT and RT?

When you are in the ace formation...are you using 2WR/2TE sets or 3 and 4 WR sets?

Emerson1
08-11-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm in year 2 of my legend. I would of won the hiesman but I missed 2 games because I was only studying and not seeing the tutor.

Maybe your team isn't any good, go through the depth chart and see how your teamates are ranked.

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Are you sliding your o-line to block when they are overloading on one side? I've been playing quite a bit, Im not at home right now but some formations that i have that really work are, Shotgun Y-Trips ( Try HB Direct and slide you o-line over, and the slot reciever put him in motion to make sure their not in man. if in man coverage motion him to the other side, if not just motion to the left and then back so that he his really close to the CB or LB and his chances of missing to block are slim). Also wishbone norm. his good. Double Iso and slide your protection and put the full back in motion to play side and snap the ball when he get next to the tackle!!! It also sounds like you need to start running some play action. If you getting sacked before you have a chance to throw try keeping the tight end or RB in to block and slide your protection!!! You can keep a RB or TE in to block with the hot routes, Triangle and R2 !!!! When i get home ill give you some more really good form.

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
This is definitely possible. In 05 and 06...I could get away with running about 10 plays against most people but it would come back to haunt me against good players and I never spent enough time learning the playbooks to be able to rely on other plays/formations.

Two other bits of info...what is the speed of your RB, QB, and the overall ratings on your LT and RT?

When you are in the ace formation...are you using 2WR/2TE sets or 3 and 4 WR sets?
RB= 99 speed, 99 agility, 99 acceleration, 90 strength, 94 break tackle, 76 jumping

QB= 76 speed, 80 agility, 78 acceleration

LT= 76

RT= 80

Originally posted by Emerson1
I'm in year 2 of my legend. I would of won the hiesman but I missed 2 games because I was only studying and not seeing the tutor.

Maybe your team isn't any good, go through the depth chart and see how your teamates are ranked.
The rest of my team sucks. The second-highest rated player (I'm a 99) is my FB at a 91. After that, it's my QB, who's only an 84. I have a couple others in the low-80's, a bunch of 70's, and a couple of 60's starting.

Before the Akron game, I had won 27 straight games, had just about every rushing record out there, and had the best overall defense and offense in the nation for two years, but still hadn't played in a BCS Bowl (I was ranked 10th at the end of my sophomore year, though) and haven't got the Heisman. I don't know how the hell I'm supposed to win it playing for a mid-major team.

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Are you sliding your o-line to block when they are overloading on one side? I've been playing quite a bit, Im not at home right now but some formations that i have that really work are, Shotgun Y-Trips ( Try HB Direct and slide you o-line over, and the slot reciever put him in motion to make sure their not in man. if in man coverage motion him to the other side, if not just motion to the left and then back so that he his really close to the CB or LB and his chances of missing to block are slim). Also wishbone norm. his good. Double Iso and slide your protection and put the full back in motion to play side and snap the ball when he get next to the tackle!!! It also sounds like you need to start running some play action. If you getting sacked before you have a chance to throw try keeping the tight end or RB in to block and slide your protection!!! You can keep a RB or TE in to block with the hot routes, Triangle and R2 !!!! When i get home ill give you some more really good form.
How do you slide the line?

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 01:33 PM

look in your instruction guide. I wanna say it's L1 and then the direction you want to slide them (on ps2) but I don't know on XBOX. `

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:34 PM

L1 then you can make them slide either pusthing left, right, make them squeez down, or make them spread out up

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:37 PM

That might be your problem if they are overloading one side!! Still try putting a TE or WR in motion play side if they are in Zone coverage and away if they are in Man. You can tell if they are in man, when you put some one in motion and someon follows him then they are in man, if they just slide then they are in zone!!!

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
That might be your problem if they are overloading one side!! Still try putting a TE or WR in motion play side if they are in Zone coverage and away if they are in Man. You can tell if they are in man, when you put some one in motion and someon follows him then they are in man, if they just slide then they are in zone!!!
Alright. Thanks guys.

Oh, and adidas, I'm on PS2.

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
alright...obviously you're a stud RB...but we would expect nothing less out of you. Your QB has 76 speed, so that is about the minimum that you can use the QB to run the option and allow him to keep the ball some. Same with your tackles...76 is a bit weak but it's what we have to work with.

Also, you have a good FB so let's get him into the mix some. Maybe do some formation shifts and move him to your #1 TE spot. This allows you to run out of one back formations and still have a good "lead blocker" if you are running to the outside.

What wedo suggested was going to be one of my recommendations as well. Having the ability to slide/spread/pinch the OL is helpful in the running game...and also when rolling the QB out when you put a receiver into isolation.

RECOMMENDATIONS

1. Build a custom playbook. Determine what formations you like to use and get everyone of them in there. If there are formations in TCU's playbook that you only use 1 or 2 plays out of...don't worry about those.
2. Go practice using Nevada's playbook..and then decide which pistol formations you are comfortable with.

Nevada's pistol formation was created as a hybrid to the shotgun. It allows you to run traditional running plays while still giving you QB space from the line. This gives him an extra step on options as well as more time to go through progressions. It also allows you to get the ball in the hands of your RB a lot quicker since the QB is 3 yds deep and the RB behind him.

Nevada Pistol Offense (article) (http://rgj.p2ionline.com/ShoppingChannelNoPopUp/ss/index.aspx?adgroupid=39122&webstoryid=9384040&articleID=9384036&adid=1331143&type=art&&menu=9)

I mainly play with Texas...but it can be hard to properly run their offense with the slower QB's (and Harris doesn't have a good enough arm to start him). What I have done instead is created a hybrid of the Texas, Florida, and Nevada playbooks. I use 3 ace formations (big, slot, and Y trips), 2 pistol formations (twin TE/WR and slot) and a bunch of shotgun formations.

For you in the shotgun...I think using shotgun 2 back slot, normal, and any of the HB weak formations would be essential. I say this because you can line your FB up at TE and run to his side out of the shotgun.

Also, if you have weak receivers that are prone to dropping passes...forget the deep routes and crossing routes early in the game. Your route progression should be 1) 5 to 8 yard out, 2) 5 to 8 yd hitch, and 3) quick slants where you throw the ball once the LT/RT is right in between you and your WR. Using simple, quick routes like this will do two things for you. It will isolate your WR's against one defender (even if they drop into a cover 2...out routes are very effective here). Also, it will build their confidence and then you can run the deep post and corner routes with them.

When throwing the out and hitch routes, especially early in the game, slide the line in accordance with any defensive front shifts and roll the QB out towards your primary receiver. It allows him to throw a shorter pass that doesn't have to go at such a steep angle...thus creating a higher % pass. Plus with your QB only having 76 speed it's unlikely he will get spied so you may be able to scramble some as well.

One other thought...when running the option the easiest way to execute it is to take your QB and run him at the outside shoulder of the T or TE (whoever is on the end of that side of the line) and then make your decision from there. If there is a TE and he seperates from the line...take the QB between T and TE. This forces the defender to commit to either you or the RB and then you act accordingly.

K I'm sure there are some mistakes in there somewhere...ask away with anything that's confusing.

Emerson1
08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Can you get online? I need to extend my 3adownlow win streak.

I use Houston's playbook, has a vareity of different formations

http://www.sportsgameratings.com/modules/NCAAdisplay/team.php?team=Houston

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:49 PM
I'll be online starting next week!!! All i have to say to you is PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
I was scheduled to get my own internet service from Comcast...but then the girls next door said I could use theirs in exchange for my wireless router and tech support for them when it was needed. So free internet...means no PS2 online. Oh well...

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:51 PM
We could get a 3adownlow friendly rivalry going!!!

Emerson1
08-11-2006, 01:56 PM
We could get a 3adownlow friendly rivalry going!!!
You might want to get some practice on heisman, don't wanna look bad after playing on varsity for 2 months.

wedo
08-11-2006, 01:59 PM
alright;)

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Hey Emerson, do you have to pay to get online or is it free? If you have to pay, how much is it?

I'll be your Huckleberry.

tigerpride_08
08-11-2006, 02:25 PM
i always ask corso haha...:D

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey Emerson, do you have to pay to get online or is it free? If you have to pay, how much is it?

I'll be your Huckleberry.

It's free to play. Just have to have the online adapter for your ps2.

Fal44
08-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Dang I miss ncaa 2007 I lent it to my cousin for a week and I havent even tried to turn on the ps2 without it...OOo and I wish i had fast internet so i could play online...:(

Emerson1
08-11-2006, 04:24 PM
and if you have the slim ps2 an adapter is built in.

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
How in the world do you change up the playbook or depth chart in Campus Legend mode?

Emerson1
08-11-2006, 06:22 PM
You can't change the depth chart until you start a game, and playbook you change at the controller select screen.

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 08:03 PM
How in the world do you change up the playbook or depth chart in Campus Legend mode?

If you want to make a custom profile...you don't do it in campus legend mode. You do it on the home screen. I forget what the title is off hand but you create a custom playbook for your profile (you must also create a profile). From there you can pick what formations you want in your playbook.

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 10:21 AM
bump...did any of this help you out Russ?

big daddy russ
08-16-2006, 11:38 AM
bump...did any of this help you out Russ?
Hell yeah, I'm back to beating teams 80-0 or what have you. I still think it's weird about my receivers, though. They would drop wide open passes that weren't gunned to them, no wobble, nothing. Nice touch, it would hit them in stride, and there's not a defender for 10 yards.

Oh well, they're catching them now. I took a few pages out of that Nevada offense, picked up the wishbone (my backup RB is an 82... forgot to tell ya'll about that), picked up a Maryland I, and kept a couple of one-back formations. It's been working great so far. Still can't win a NC, but went into my senior year ranked #9 in the nation, so this year should be a little easier.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Adidas410s
08-16-2006, 12:36 PM
another thought with a backup RB with 82 is to use shotgun formations with 2 backs...and do a formation audible and put your 2nd RB in for the FB. That's what I do with Texas...I sub out the FB for Taylor or Young in 2 back sets...it makes the option that much more exciting!

big daddy russ
08-16-2006, 01:57 PM
another thought with a backup RB with 82 is to use shotgun formations with 2 backs...and do a formation audible and put your 2nd RB in for the FB. That's what I do with Texas...I sub out the FB for Taylor or Young in 2 back sets...it makes the option that much more exciting!
I've been running a lot out of the Wing-T (I meant to say Wing-T instead of Wishbone on my last post) and Maryland I formations. Let's me put both of my RB's in along with my FB.

I'm going to try the formation audible and see how that works.