PDA

View Full Version : Evridge becomes third QB to transfer out of Kansas Stat

AggieJohn
08-11-2006, 12:27 PM
ANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- Former starting quarterback Allan Evridge has decided to transfer from Kansas State less than a week into fall practice.

Evridge told new coach Ron Prince of his intentions Tuesday and was granted a release from his scholarship. A formal announcement came Wednesday, making Evridge the third Wildcats quarterback to depart Manhattan since the spring game in April.

ADVERTISEMENT
"Allan Evridge had a great start to his Kansas State career last season and we would have liked him to stay and be a part of this organization," Prince said in a statement. "We were looking forward to his contributions, but we understand that quarterbacks are competitive people by nature and we wish him well in his pursuit of his athletic and academic goals."

Evridge played in nine games as a redshirt freshman last season -- starting six -- and threw for a Kansas State freshman record 1,365 yards and six touchdowns. Against Texas A&M, he completed 23 of 44 passes for 357 yards and three touchdowns.

He also rushed for 203 yards, including 138 yards in a 27-25 loss to Nebraska.

"I did everything they asked of me, on and off the field," Evridge told The Wichita Eagle on Wednesday.

"I even contemplated moving to defense just to get on the field. I did everything right by the program but it didn't look like I was going to be given an opportunity to contribute to the team in the way I would have liked."

The 6-foot-1, 214-pound lefty was part of a five-way competition for the starting quarterback job in the spring. Only senior Dylan Meier and heralded freshman Josh Freeman are left on the roster.

In April, redshirt freshman Kevin Lopina announced he was transferring, eventually settling on Washington State. Then last month, senior Allen Webb -- who split time as the starter with Evridge last season -- announced he was transferring to Texas College, an NAIA school in Tyler, Texas.

District303aPastPlayer
08-11-2006, 12:32 PM
well thats gotta suck