PDA

View Full Version : Aggie QB McGee has a bit of Bucky in him

kepdawg
08-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Aggie QB McGee has a bit of Bucky in him

12:13 AM CDT on Friday, August 11, 2006

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – In the game that established Stephen McGee's style as well as substance, Dennis Franchione offered congratulations and a bit of advice.

Toughness is an admirable quality in quarterbacks, son, but maybe you could quit stepping off curbs into oncoming buses.

Seemed like good, sound counsel until the kid snapped.

"COACH, I CAN TAKE 'EM ALL. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME. I CAN TAKE WHATEVER THEY'VE GOT. I CAN TAKE IT ALL DAY . . ."

Against all odds, McGee held up quite well against Texas. Better than Texas A&M's lead, anyway.

Still, an impression was made on Longhorn sternums and the minds of McGee's teammates.

A "natural born leader," they called him. A romantic concept at A&M.

Greatest QB in school history? Kevin Murray.

Winningest? Corey Pullig.

Favorite? Bucky Richardson.

Richardson wasn't fast or elusive. Couldn't throw the ball through a wall, either. But he might run it through.

"In my understanding," Franchione said, "it's what Aggie spirit is all about. Bucky displayed that to the highest degree."

Aggies have been waiting on Richardson's heir ever since. Waited on Reggie McNeal, as gifted as any Aggies QB ever.

Waited while McNeal's rival, Vince Young, surpassed and left him far behind.

In the end, it was hard to tell if McNeal was undone by injuries to his receivers or an inability to rally the Aggies from a team-wide funk.

A different outlook pervades this team, said Kirk Elder, a junior guard. Most of the key players have been in Franchione's system at least three years.

"Quality guys," Elder said, "all the way around."

Starting with the QB. What he didn't settle in the season's final game, he emphasized again last spring.

Example: He's running around end and comes up on Justin Warren. Quarterbacks are hands off in drills, and the senior linebacker is dutifully pulling up when he notices something odd in the 6-3, 205-pounder bearing down on him.

"We get close," Warren said, "and I see he has this look in his eye, like he's gonna bull through me."

Question: How does a minister's son, a polite kid who sits in the front row in classes and makes good grades and attends study hall just to bond with teammates, suddenly become a crash-test dummy?

Coming out of Burnet, he was a throwing quarterback. Or at least that was his reputation. Franchione hoped he ran maybe a 4.7.

But McGee was a 4.41 guy. He was fast building his reputation, too.

Example: His junior year at Burnet, he's going out of bounds and throwing a pass when a kid hits him on his left knee.

The impact tears his MCL. Cracks the top of his femur, the big bone in his lower leg.

Hospital bound? Hardly. He comes back for the second half and the last two games of the season, including the state final.

Claims he's had no other "significant" injuries. And just what would he consider "insignificant"?

McGee: "Anything that doesn't keep you from playing."

Me: A torn MCL and broken leg didn't keep you from playing. What exactly would you call those?

McGee: "Boo-boos, I guess."

He attributes some of his toughness to his father, Rodney. A former junior college quarterback, Rodney coached basketball more than 20 years before retiring to his ministry. Never missed one of his son's games. If the boy gave anything less than his all, Rodney let him know it.

Of course, he was preaching to the choir. You don't coach this kind of attitude.

"I always say it's the competitive side of me coming out," McGee said. "I hate to lose more than I love to win. And I do whatever it takes to win.

"If it means that I lay my body on the line for my teammates, then that's what I do."

A wonderful concept, too. Defensive players love it. But the offense?

"I like that he's a competitive person," Elder said, "but at the same time, we'd like for him to be healthy, too."

The rigors of a Big 12 schedule demand a little discretion. A QB is a valuable commodity. Step out of bounds once in a while. Avoid head-on collisions. Duck.

Unfortunately, for all his considerable skills, McGee has yet to develop a nice hook slide.

"I have a feeling," Franchione said, smiling, "I'll be coaching him on that all year."

E-mail ksherrington@dallasnews.com

Fal44
08-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Nice...:clap:

Chris Hart
08-11-2006, 10:09 AM
I can't wait to see him take the reins this year. There's not a doubt in my mind, he will be one of the very best QBs in the country over the next few years, if not the best...:clap:

AggieJohn
08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
i think he's brady quinn in the making

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i think he's brady quinn in the making
I'd agree with that. I think he'll be better than Graham Harrell, Zac Taylor, Dylan Meier, and about as good as Bret Meyer. That'd put him second in the Big XII, at least IMO, in the pecking order of upcoming QB's, only behind Meyer.

tigerpride_08
08-11-2006, 11:33 AM
he is a very good player and can only get better...

District303aPastPlayer
08-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

"COACH, I CAN TAKE 'EM ALL. DON'T WORRY ABOUT ME. I CAN TAKE WHATEVER THEY'VE GOT. I CAN TAKE IT ALL DAY . . ."
Example: He's running around end and comes up on Justin Warren. Quarterbacks are hands off in drills, and the senior linebacker is dutifully pulling up when he notices something odd in the 6-3, 205-pounder bearing down on him.
The impact tears his MCL. Cracks the top of his femur, the big bone in his lower leg.

Hospital bound? Hardly. He comes back for the second half and the last two games of the season, including the state final.
"I always say it's the competitive side of me coming out," McGee said. "I hate to lose more than I love to win. And I do whatever it takes to win.

"If it means that I lay my body on the line for my teammates, then that's what I do."

wow...

Bulldog_12
08-11-2006, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

"I hate to lose more than I love to win. And I do whatever it takes to win.

I love this quote.

YBS
08-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I hate hype and EVERYONE is on the bandwagon w/ Stephen this year which makes me uneasy. I guess know one is hoping he's better than advertised more than Franny.

PPHSfan
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by YBS
I hate hype and EVERYONE is on the bandwagon w/ Stephen this year which makes me uneasy. I guess know one is hoping he's better than advertised more than Franny.

Well the 3adl folks that have been here for a few years have been on the Stephen McGee "Bandwagon" for a while now. Most of us can't wait to watch him play all season. We can't wait to see his old buddy Jordan Shipley finally get healthy and play too. We have known for years that both of these kids are very special.

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by YBS
I'm not a fan of hype either, and certainly not on any A&M bandwagon. But after seeing him play in high school, I can only imagine he's improved and I hope he does well.

maestro
08-11-2006, 09:41 PM
He is the secret ingredient in the Aggies surprise finish this year.

AggieJohn
08-11-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Well the 3adl folks that have been here for a few years have been on the Stephen McGee "Bandwagon" for a while now. Most of us can't wait to watch him play all season. We can't wait to see his old buddy Jordan Shipley finally get healthy and play too. We have known for years that both of these kids are very special. AMEN king of the DL

LH Panther Mom
08-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Well the 3adl folks that have been here for a few years have been on the Stephen McGee "Bandwagon" for a while now. Most of us can't wait to watch him play all season. We can't wait to see his old buddy Jordan Shipley finally get healthy and play too. We have known for years that both of these kids are very special.
:weeping: :weeping: Try being in the same district with this duo. :(

Gobbla2001
08-12-2006, 12:28 AM
I HONESTLY believe that he is the scariest player for any defense in the big 12...

I'm a UT fan and watching him play against UT... I was REALLY worried... not because of A&M's D.... not because of their passing/running attack, but because that fool isn't scared of anything...

"It's alright, we'll just put an 18-wheeler on our defense, that'll stop him!"...

Shoot, the 18-wheeler might stop him, but it'll have 17 flat tires, an oil leak and about $20,000 worth of damage to the rig after that guy is done with it...

out of all of the QB's in the nation, this Texan carries the biggest you-knows...

Txbroadcaster
08-12-2006, 01:40 AM
not real sure can call him the scariest YET. I think ALOT of Aggie fans are taking what he did in one games, and putting some HUGE expectations on him for this season.

I see him being a great QB by the time he graduates, but I also see him having his struggles this year as teams see more and more tape on him and he has to learn to adjust to what the defense does to stop him.

Yes he ran for 108 yards agianst Texas, but he threw for just 80 yards and was 9 for 23.

I just think Aggie fans need to press the brakes on what they are expecting out of him, because if he does not perform to their expectations fast enough they will turn on him, and that will not be good.

vet93
08-12-2006, 08:36 AM
You're right...Aggies (and Longhorns too) tend to eat their own sometimes when it comes to quarterback. If the Aggie faithfull will just be patient and give him some room to grow he will be a dandy. His leadership qualities (from what I have seen and read) are one of his biggest assets.

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
not real sure can call him the scariest YET. I think ALOT of Aggie fans are taking what he did in one games, and putting some HUGE expectations on him for this season.

I see him being a great QB by the time he graduates, but I also see him having his struggles this year as teams see more and more tape on him and he has to learn to adjust to what the defense does to stop him.

Yes he ran for 108 yards agianst Texas, but he threw for just 80 yards and was 9 for 23.

I just think Aggie fans need to press the brakes on what they are expecting out of him, because if he does not perform to their expectations fast enough they will turn on him, and that will not be good.

Chris Hart
08-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

I just think Aggie fans need to press the brakes on what they are expecting out of him, because if he does not perform to their expectations fast enough they will turn on him, and that will not be good. That's sometimes true in the college ranks. However, I'm not an Aggie, rather a Bulldog(T Tech in college), but I know some things Aggie fans do not know yet, and when they do, they will be pleasantly surprised. They know Stephen as a good runner/leader after his showing against UT last year. I've got a little secret for them, once he settles in, he is a MUCH BETTER passer than runner, and they already know he can run. I can't wait to watch him once he gets rolling...:)

Eagle 1
08-13-2006, 01:17 PM
I do believe he holds the passing record in 3A.