PDA

View Full Version : Best Texas-born QB

Bull Butter
08-10-2006, 11:19 PM
Who is the best all-time QB born in TX?

Bull Butter
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
I gotta go with the alcoholic. That guy put up some incredible numbers on a crappy team in the late 1970's.

Bull Butter
08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I should have left a choice for "other" in case Aggie John wanted to vote for Reggie McNeal (or Gary Kubiak)

Sorry about that, AJ:(

Txbroadcaster
08-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Need to add Y.A. Tittle to the list. HOF QB

Bull Butter
08-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Very good point, Tx

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Through HS, college, or cumulative?

Chris Hart
08-11-2006, 09:59 AM
The best one is in College Station this year, but it will take a few more years to prove it. But he will...;)

Maroon87
08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I played against Detmer. He was damn good. I can't say he was the best, but he was the best I ever played against.

g$$
08-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I have to go with Slingin' Sammy Baugh (Rotan, TX). When you are the very 1st inductee into the Pro Football HOF, that's enough for me. Different era, yes, but the guy punted / played safety / etc. One of the best ever no doubt. Our list of qbs is much smaller than our list of RBs! Bobby Layne & Y.A. Tittle are up there too. Marty Akins was the 1st Longhorn 1st Team All American qb in the '70s & a great hs player at Gregory-Portland (father Ray Akins). With the change in offensive philosophy & more passing, expect more great TX born qbs in the future.

Pmoney
08-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by g$$
I have to go with Slingin' Sammy Baugh (Rotan, TX). When you are the very 1st inductee into the Pro Football HOF, that's enough for me. Different era, yes, but the guy punted / played safety / etc. One of the best ever no doubt. Our list of qbs is much smaller than our list of RBs! Bobby Layne & Y.A. Tittle are up there too. Marty Akins was the 1st Longhorn 1st Team All American qb in the '70s & a great hs player at Gregory-Portland (father Ray Akins). With the change in offensive philosophy & more passing, expect more great TX born qbs in the future.
i agree Sammy Baugh was a great football player and is the best Texas born QB

big daddy russ
08-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by g$$
...Marty Akins was the 1st Longhorn 1st Team All American qb in the '70s & a great hs player at Gregory-Portland (father Ray Akins). With the change in offensive philosophy & more passing, expect more great TX born qbs in the future.
And Drew Brees' uncle.

District303aPastPlayer
08-11-2006, 11:41 AM
umm... serious question....

are there not that many great QBs born in Texas that Vince Young is on the list... dont get me wrong, i love Vince just like the next guy, but having him in the same breath as Sammy Baugh and Detmer is a bit premature.... dont ya think?

g$$
08-11-2006, 11:49 AM
I agree it is premature to put VY in the same sentence with Sammy Baugh, Bobby Layne, etc. But when you win a national championship, people ride the wave. Let's give him some time & see where he ranks all-time. College fb, he takes a backseat to no one. Pro fb, time will tell.

You are correct about Marty Akins being Drew Brees' uncle. VY broke Marty's record for wins last year at Texas. He ran the heck out of the wishbone. Good stuff.

Buccaneer
08-11-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
I gotta go with the alcoholic. That guy put up some incredible numbers on a crappy team in the late 1970's.
Which alcoholic are you referring to?

Bull Butter
08-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
Which alcoholic are you referring to?
That would be Tommy Kramer

Bulldog_12
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
umm... serious question....

are there not that many great QBs born in Texas that Vince Young is on the list... dont get me wrong, i love Vince just like the next guy, but having him in the same breath as Sammy Baugh and Detmer is a bit premature.... dont ya think?

And the fact that he has nearly the same amount of votes is laughable.

STANG RED
08-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Slingin Sammy, played high school ball at Sweetwater (was'nt born there though, I forget where). He didnt buy the ranch north of Rotan, and move there till after he made a few bucks in the NFL. I hunted on his ranch on many occasions, back in the 70s. He was a real nice man. He'd let us hunt, if we'd help him feed and round up his cows from time to time. It was always alot of fun.

g$$
08-14-2006, 01:39 PM
You are correct, he played at Sweetwater. He has lived in Rotan for years & from what I understand is now in a nursing home. The man is a classic on & off the field. To have VY in this sentence is laughable with Baugh, Layne, etc. VY has proven NOTHING yet at the pro level. College football, yes an absolute great one. Hold your water on where he ranks all-time please. It's all the t-shirt horns coming out I believe.

Mustangpride09
08-14-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by g$$
College fb, he takes a backseat to no one. Pro fb, time will tell.

Where does he sit on the wonderlic test?

g$$
08-14-2006, 02:22 PM
On the Wunderlic Test, VY rates very low. Like one of the lowest scores ever. It has now been published that he scored a 6 the 1st time, then after all the talk of the test being biased he scored a 15 the 2nd time (after being coached on how to take the test). This test is 40 basic questions taken in 32 minutes; average intelligence is considered to be a score of 20. You do the math. Read what I said above: college = great, pro = wait & see. The guy is a terrific athlete who no one confuses with a Rhode's Scholar. That is why I said putting him on this list right now is absurd to say the least.