PDA

View Full Version : LenDale White already making new friends...

Maroon87
08-10-2006, 08:43 PM
Titans rookie White brawls with teammate at practice
Associated Press

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. -- Rookie running back LenDale White got into a brawl Thursday morning with a teammate at the Tennessee Titans training camp.

The rookie out of Southern California, who fell to the 45th pick in the draft overall in April, started clashing with the defense on a running play. He was walking back toward the huddle when bumped.

White walked back, and safety Donnie Nickey pushed back at the rookie with his helmet. A recording by a television cameraman picked up linebacker Keith Bulluck yelling that White had spit in Nickey's face.

A few plays later, White couldn't catch an outlet pass from Matt Mauck when hit by rookie Cortland Finnegan.

Nickey ran upfield and shoved White in the back. White elbowed safety Vincent Fuller amid more pushing and shoving. Nickey threw at least one punch before a group of players were separated, and he walked off, took off his helmet and threw it on the ground.

That prompted an angry response from coach Jeff Fisher. Practice ended a few plays later, and Fisher called the team together on the field for a brief speech before letting them leave.

Fisher said later he found out what happened, what he called a violation of the code of ethics, and he apologized to Nickey.

"I didn't know everything, but there's stuff that goes on out there that shouldn't have gone on out there. Donnie understands, and LenDale understands he crossed the line. You just don't do that. It will not happen again. I assure you it will not happen again," Fisher said.

White, who dropped into the second round after questions about his weight and inability to run before the NFL draft because of a torn right hamstring, has been working behind Chris Brown and Travis Henry in the rotation at running back.

White walked by reporters as he left the practice saying: "No comment, no comment, no comment."

Nickey, a three-year veteran out of Ohio State, also declined to comment.

Copyright 2006 by Associated Press

KTJ
08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
The highlights were kind of hilarious.

Tennessee will be interesting this year.

AggieJohn
08-10-2006, 11:27 PM
is their a video

eagles_victory
08-10-2006, 11:32 PM
I may be wrong but isnt Donnie Nickey the guy who put the hit on Mcgahee in the Fiesta Bowl that tore up his knee

KTJ
08-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I may be wrong but isnt Donnie Nickey the guy who put the hit on Mcgahee in the Fiesta Bowl that tore up his knee

That was Will Allen.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Those USC guys think their stuff doesn't stink. Glad he caught the wrath of all those vets on the team.

kepdawg
08-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Those USC guys think their stuff doesn't stink. Glad he caught the wrath of all those vets on the team.

This had nothing to do with him being a USC guy. He isn't the first player involved in a fight in training camp and I doubt he'll be the last.

Maroon87
08-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
is their a video

I got the story from ESPN.com but there wasn't a video link that I saw.

Old Tiger
08-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
This had nothing to do with him being a USC guy. He isn't the first player involved in a fight in training camp and I doubt he'll be the last. Jeremy Shockey is a name that comes to mind about this type of stuff.

Adidas410s
08-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
is their a video

there is a video on the ESPN homepage. What's great is the cool guy who takes his helmet off. Yeah...good idea there smart guy! :thumbsup:

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-11-2006, 04:10 PM
This had nothing to do with him being a USC guy. He isn't the first player involved in a fight in training camp and I doubt he'll be the last.

I disagree. I believe that the USC boys (Reggie, Matt - who still is unsigned - and White) all think their stuff smells good. A climate of arrogance. They think they should have beat Texas and are still mad about it. They have carried that attitude into the league and obviously the Titans didn't like some rookie thinking he had the balls to spit into another vets face.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-11-2006, 04:14 PM
Oh and this was not a regular everyday fight at camp. One guy against another. If you watch the video you will note that White is all by his lonesome trying to fight the entire team!

I'm sure that did a lot to help him get acclimated into his new role as a backup.

Bullaholic
08-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Lendale White is going to find out he has "messed with the wrong Marine" when he gets Jeff Fisher mad at him.

Maroon87
08-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Lendale White is going to find out he has "messed with the wrong Marine" when he gets Jeff Fisher mad at him.

Of course Fisher is a USC ex too...;)

Bullaholic
08-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Of course Fisher is a USC ex too...;)

Don't think that will help White any. The years I have seen Jeff Fisher coach he has been all business and one tough dude. Never saw him "back down" from anybody.

kepdawg
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
Oh and this was not a regular everyday fight at camp. One guy against another. If you watch the video you will note that White is all by his lonesome trying to fight the entire team!

I'm sure that did a lot to help him get acclimated into his new role as a backup.

I must not have seen the right video. Based on all accounts I have read I don't see how the school he played at had any influence on the situation.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-12-2006, 02:11 AM
I must not have seen the right video. Based on all accounts I have read I don't see how the school he played at had any influence on the situation.

The college and the success that they had while there or while he was there contributed to his arrogance. He spit in the face of a veteran player...and he is a rookie. That is like a freshman thinking that he can initiate a senior in high school. I think that USC played a part in shaping that attitude that he has.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Just like Reggie Bush wanting more money than the #1 pick. Just like Matt Lienart still holding out for more money. These particular players who all played together actually believe that they are untouchables...that they are better than other players – meaning they should make more money than others, that when things don’t go their way they can hold out or spit in another’s face.

I thought is was deserving of Lienart to fall during the draft and to see him getting mad about it. He truly believed that he was the best QB out there…even after the game that Vince Young had. He just couldn’t believe that Vince went before he did. Arrogance. I think that USC played a major part in shaping these guys attitudes.