PDA

View Full Version : Who is the greatest Texas born high school RB of all-time???

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2006, 01:53 PM
My guess would be Earl Campbell.

Adidas410s
08-10-2006, 01:55 PM
so to clarify...you are asking about the RB that was born in Texas...or the best HS RB in Texas?

pirate44
08-10-2006, 01:56 PM
willie mack garza ;)

or the Calallen kid

Adidas410s
08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
or the Calallen kid

Wes Danaher right??? He's definitely one that I would consider.

Also, watching Cedric Benson in high school...it was just amazing. Nobody could stop the guy. The best I saw before him was Dominic Rhodes, but Benson put him to shame.

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
Kenneth Hall.

GreenMonster
08-10-2006, 01:59 PM
what about LT? LaDanian Tomlinson is a product of Waco University High School. He's the best back in the NFL right now bar none.

Bullaholic
08-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Doak Walker
Eric Dickerson

A couple of pretty good native-son RB's.

injuredinmelee
08-10-2006, 02:06 PM
Earl or Cedric. and they both made WISE college decisions!

Maroon87
08-10-2006, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wes Danaher right??? He's definitely one that I would consider.

I remember when Wes was just a little kid watching us practice during two-a-days, then before you knew it he was getting 200 yards every night. A damn good RB, but not the best ever from Texas IMO.

pirate4state
08-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Earl or Cedric. and they both made WISE college decisions! LOL! What if they were Texas born and then played somewhere else? :thinking: :D Not that I know anyone who did that...just throwing it out there ... AND ... what if they weren't born here but played here? :D

STANG RED
08-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Earl tha Pearl

AggieJohn
08-10-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Kenneth Hall. from sugarland

Maroon87
08-10-2006, 02:19 PM
My vote is for Campbell. He was a stud.

Rabbit'93
08-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Kenneth Hall

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Kenneth Hall
There's no one else that can touch him IMO. Who else on the list averaged 20 yards per carry throughout their career ? He's the man with every schoolboy record out there (we're talking in the nation), so until someone else comes along who can rush for over 10K yards (most of which came in only the first half of games), he's my guy.

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Just googled this (http://www.nflhs.com/news/features/Legends_KenHall_09062005_lcb.asp) article on him. For those of you out there who've never heard of him, here's your chance.

hud
08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
philip graves was the best from hutto
but i would go with earl campbell

garageoffice
08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Anybody remember Edwin Simmons from Hawkins? He's got to be the best I ever saw in person. He was incredible. Of course, he then went to UT and blew out his knee...end of story. But not before he made some men look like boys on the field!

3afan
08-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Earl tha Pearl

Earl Monroe? of the Knicks !?!?!?!

if you are referring to "The Tyler Rose", then I concur ....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Chuck Norris, if he would have played.

garageoffice
08-10-2006, 02:49 PM
I sure liked to watch Eric Dickerson run!

DaHop72
08-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Chuck Norris, if he would have played. Had he been a running back, it would have been fp. :devil: :devil:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Harry Potter....if he existed.

garageoffice
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Chuck Norris, if he would have played.

Of course, he WASN'T born in Texas!!! :D

injuredinmelee
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
I sure liked to watch Eric Dickerson run!
I talked to Dickerson at The Best Damn Sports Show in 2003 and he looked like he could still play. I was wearing my texas football t shirt and after the taping he came up to me and said.
"I grew up in Texas."

my reply was "I know I used to pretend I was you in my back yard as a kid."

Of course I am sure that made him feel old. Its a weird feeling meeting the people you used to idolize as a child when your an adult. When I was a kid i am sure i would have been in hog heaven, but it was still cool to meet him in my 30's.

JasperDog94
08-10-2006, 03:51 PM
How about Thurman Thomas? He played for Willowridge and won a couple of titles. He was money in the early to mid 90s with the Buffalo Bills.

Bubba-Joe
08-10-2006, 04:37 PM
This is Bubba Joes' first post in a very long time, that being said, the answer to this question is a no brainer. Earl was great, Eric was great, even Thurman was great- But none of em did what KEN HALL the SUGARLAND EXPRESS did......

The GREATEST TEXAS BORN HIGH SCHOOL RUNNING BACK OF ALL TIME

KENNETH HALL - END OF DISCUSSION.

and he had one of the best bar b que joints in Texas at Fredricksburg up until a few years ago, when he sold it and retired.

Maroon87
08-10-2006, 04:42 PM
Harry Potter....if he existed.

Gotta love Wedding Crashers...:cool:

Specklebelly
08-10-2006, 04:51 PM
If just talking high school performance, then it is bar none, without question, beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kenneth Hall.

HPLJ6L
08-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by garageoffice
Of course, he WASN'T born in Texas!!! :D

Chuck Norris invented Texas. And it grew into the only force on earth badder than him.

wedo
08-10-2006, 05:19 PM
IMO its a tie with Thurman Thomas, Earl Campell, Lt, Cedric Benson!!! But everyone watch out for a running back from Wharton, Ray Hudson he is a soph at BYU 2nd on the dept chart and will have a big impact with BYU!!!

VWG
08-10-2006, 05:31 PM
Hard to pick, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Billy Simms from Hooks, Texas.

Phantom Stang
08-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Kenneth Hall

Old Green
08-10-2006, 05:39 PM
Roosevelt leaks of Brenham was a hoss. played for Texas and Several NFL teams.

sinton66
08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
Roosevelt leaks of Brenham was a hoss. played for Texas and Several NFL teams.

True, even had the nickname "little Earl".However, my vote would go to "Big" Earl.

sintonfanseguin
08-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Robert Strait from Cuero,Texas

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by sintonfanseguin
Robert Strait from Cuero,Texas

I was beginning to wonder how long it was gonna take for
someone to mention him. I never would of thought it would be
someone from Sinton. :D

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Kenneth Hall, Sugarland HS 1950-1953

-11,232 Career Rushing Yds. (National Record)
-Average of 2,821 yds. per year
-3,326 Career Passing Yds.
-14,529 Total Yds. (National Record... by over 2,000 yards)
-4,045 Rushing Yds. in 1953 (Second Nationally by 42 yards... He did this in 12 games, Travis Henry owns the record, which he set in 14 games)
-899 Points Scored (Second Nationally)
-Also owns 17 other national records

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Kenneth Hall, Sugarland HS 1950-1953

-11,232 Career Rushing Yds. (National Record)
-Average of 2,821 yds. per year
-3,326 Career Passing Yds.
-14,529 Total Yds. (National Record... by over 2,000 yards)
-4,045 Rushing Yds. in 1953 (Second Nationally by 42 yards... He did this in 12 games, Travis Henry owns the record, which he set in 14 games)
-899 Points Scored (Second Nationally)
-Also owns 17 other national records

The article you linked called him a QB of a wing-T. Are ya'll
calling him the greatest rusher or greatest RB? I'm a little confused.

Snydertigersrul
08-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
calling him the greatest rusher or greatest RB? I a little confused.

No question, Earl Campbell and Cedrick Benson are the best running backs ever in Texas and also play for the greatest college football team in history.

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 07:56 PM
calling him the greatest rusher or greatest RB? I a little confused.
Yeah, my bad. I guess I was just thinking the best Texas HS rusher of all time. I'd probably pick either Campbell, Benson, or Billy Sims out of Hooks.

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2006, 07:57 PM
calling him the greatest rusher or greatest RB? I'm a little confused.

Sweetwater Red
08-10-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah, my bad. I guess I was just thinking the best Texas HS rusher of all time. I'd probably pick either Campbell, Benson, or Billy Sims out of Hooks.

I understand. Everyone is mentioning him.

big daddy russ
08-10-2006, 08:02 PM
I actually think I was the first one, so it's my fault for jacking your thread.:p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-10-2006, 08:29 PM

Not that this really involves anything within the thread, but I would greatly appreciate it you took my name off of one of your "pending targets" simply because A. I do not care if you catch me because hey, there is life outside of the downlow, B. it just makes me uncomfortable to think that a guy considers me to, "be in his crosshairs," and C. you have already surpassed me. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

DaHop72
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
This is Bubba Joes' first post in a very long time, that being said, the answer to this question is a no brainer. Earl was great, Eric was great, even Thurman was great- But none of em did what KEN HALL the SUGARLAND EXPRESS did......

The GREATEST TEXAS BORN HIGH SCHOOL RUNNING BACK OF ALL TIME

KENNETH HALL - END OF DISCUSSION.

and he had one of the best bar b que joints in Texas at Fredricksburg up until a few years ago, when he sold it and retired. Hey Bubba-Joe, good to have you back.:thumbsup: Must be getting time for some football.:clap: :clap:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Gotta love Wedding Crashers...:cool:

I was afraid that nobody was going to get what I was quoting.

District303aPastPlayer
08-10-2006, 08:54 PM
anyone other than Kenneth Hall is 2nd...

PPHSfan
08-10-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm gonna go with Ken Hall.

Bull's-eye
08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
The original "Sugar Land Express" Ken Hall. In one game he had 520 yds on just 11 attempts. This all happened in a quarter and a half! In one game, Hall touched the ball only 9 times and Sugar Land scored 9 times. Sugar Land compiled a 46-6-1 record and won three state regionals (as far as a Class B team could go at that time in the playoffs) during Hall's four-year career. The most amazing victory may have been a 48-0 massacre of College Station A&M Consolidated, which had been unscored upon. One note: 5 0f those 6 losses were the first 5 games of Hall's freshman year.

I was told that Hall didn't go out for football. The coaches were having trouble fielding their team, so they started asking all the boys that weren't playing football. Hall was 5-6 135 lbs before his freshman year, but grew to 6-1 180 lbs to start 9th grade. Hall also won state titles in track, winning at least once in the 100, long jump and shot put. After high school, Hall was clocked at 4.3 in the 40 and ran a 9.4 hundred yard dash.

A couple of my uncles played on those teams with Hall. I also have a autographed football, signed by #31 Kenneth Hall.

Sweetwater Red
08-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Not that this really involves anything within the thread, but I would greatly appreciate it you took my name off of one of your "pending targets" simply because A. I do not care if you catch me because hey, there is life outside of the downlow, B. it just makes me uncomfortable to think that a guy considers me to, "be in his crosshairs," and C. you have already surpassed me. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

A) I do have a life outside the Down Low.
B) I'm not Maurice Clarett.
c) I wait a few days before I update my sig just in case I pass
someone and then they go on a posting frenzy.

vet93
08-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I was thinking of the Sugarland Express myself.....

There's no one else that can touch him IMO. Who else on the list averaged 20 yards per carry throughout their career ? He's the man with every schoolboy record out there (we're talking in the nation), so until someone else comes along who can rush for over 10K yards (most of which came in only the first half of games), he's my guy.

Phil C
08-11-2006, 09:20 AM
I would have to vote for Earl. Of course had he been born in Texas instead of Louisiana then John David Crow would have deserved some mention. He played football at Texas A&M in the 50s and was Coach Bear Bryant's only Heisman Trophy winner and had a successful 11 year pro football career making the pro bowl 4 times.

g$$
08-11-2006, 10:01 AM
1st Team: Doak Walker, Earl Campbell, Kenneth Hall, Eric Dickerson, Billy Sims, Cedric Benson, LaDainian Tomlinson

2nd Team: Joe Washington, Craig James, Donnie Anderson, Thurman Thomas, Roosevelt Leaks, Priest Holmes, Rodney Thomas

3rd Team: Robert Strait, Edwin Simmons, Walter Abercrombie, Dominic Rhodes, Greg Hill, Kimble Anders, David Overstreet

Honorable Mention: Randy Simmons, Steve Worster, Wes Danaher, Willie Mack Garza, Leeland McElroy, Anthony Byerly

This is tough because football has changed so much from the Wing T days, so you leave someone like Sammy Baugh off because he was the qb & a great runner (plus db, punter, etc.). Baugh was the very 1st inductee into the Pro Football HOF. I am sure I forgot a bunch of good ones, but this is so subjective based on your perspective, age, etc. Plus, how much weight is given to success at the hs, college, & pro levels? Injuries & other situations affected some of them too. My dad said Doak Walker was the best he ever saw, & I favor the Tyler Rose Earl Campbell. Bear Bryant later said Kenneth Hall was the best football player he ever coached & his worst mistake too in the way he handled him at A&M. Strait was a hoss that I played against but injuries & other things cut short his career. Good topic & everyone has an opinion. I'll put our guys against any state, any time!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-11-2006, 10:05 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

A) I do have a life outside the Down Low.

Prove it.

Tiger Baseball
08-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by g$$
1st Team: Doak Walker, Earl Campbell, Kenneth Hall, Billy Sims, Cedric Benson, Joe Washington

2nd Team: Donnie Anderson, Thurman Thomas, Roosevelt Leaks, Rodney Thomas, Craig James

3rd Team: Edwin Simmons, Anthony Byerly, Walter Abercrombie, Robert Strait, Dominic Rhodes

This is tough because football has changed so much from the wing T days, so you leave someone like Sammy Baugh off because he was the qb & great runner (plus db, punter, etc.). Baugh was the very 1st inductee into the Pro Football HOF. I am sure I forgot a bunch of good ones, but this is so subjective based on your perspective, age, etc. Plus, how much weight is given to success at the hs, college, & pro levels? Injuries & other situations affected some of them too. My dad said Doak Walker was the best he ever saw, & I favor the Tyler Rose Earl Campbell. Bear Bryant later said Kenneth Hall was the best football player he ever coached & his worst mistake too in the way he handled him at A&M. Strait was a hoss that I played against but injuries & other things cut short his career. Good topic & everyone has an opinion. I'll put our guys against any state, any time!

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_17_2.gif

Sweetwater Red
08-11-2006, 10:18 AM
Prove it.

Okay...right after you prove you're not an @$$ and quit
b***hing about something as petty as my sig.

spiveyrat
08-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
How about Thurman Thomas? He played for Willowridge and won a couple of titles. He was money in the early to mid 90s with the Buffalo Bills.

I was thinking the same thing. :cool:

Bullaholic
08-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
The original "Sugar Land Express" Ken Hall. In one game he had 520 yds on just 11 attempts. This all happened in a quarter and a half! In one game, Hall touched the ball only 9 times and Sugar Land scored 9 times. Sugar Land compiled a 46-6-1 record and won three state regionals (as far as a Class B team could go at that time in the playoffs) during Hall's four-year career. The most amazing victory may have been a 48-0 massacre of College Station A&M Consolidated, which had been unscored upon. One note: 5 0f those 6 losses were the first 5 games of Hall's freshman year.

I was told that Hall didn't go out for football. The coaches were having trouble fielding their team, so they started asking all the boys that weren't playing football. Hall was 5-6 135 lbs before his freshman year, but grew to 6-1 180 lbs to start 9th grade. Hall also won state titles in track, winning at least once in the 100, long jump and shot put. After high school, Hall was clocked at 4.3 in the 40 and ran a 9.4 hundred yard dash.

A couple of my uncles played on those teams with Hall. I also have a autographed football, signed by #31 Kenneth Hall.

:clap: Very nice job, Bull's-eye.

Pmoney
08-11-2006, 11:13 AM
i gotta go w/ Hall on this 1...he has done so much more than the others...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
08-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Okay...right after you prove you're not an @$$ and quit
b***hing about something as petty as my sig.

I think someone needs a hug.