PDA

View Full Version : UK police say terror plot thwarted

kepdawg
08-10-2006, 01:28 AM
UK police say terror plot thwarted

Thursday, August 10, 2006; Posted: 2:11 a.m. EDT (06:11 GMT)

LONDON (CNN) -- British police have disrupted what they believe was a major terrorist plot to blow up aircraft in flight, likely between the United Kingdom and the United States, a statement from Scotland Yard said Thursday.

"It is believed that the aim was to detonate explosive devices smuggled on board the aircraft in hand luggage. It is believed that the attacks would have been particularly targeted at flights from the UK to the USA," the statement said.

Arrests were made overnight in London by the Metropolitan Police Department's anti-terrorist branch and security service.

"Today's arrests are the culmination of a major covert counter-terrorist operation lasting several months," Scotland Yard said.

"We would like to reassure the public that this operation was carried out with public safety uppermost in our minds," the statement said.

"This is a major operation which inevitably will be lengthy and complex. We will provide further information as soon as possible."

The British Airport Authority said additional air travel security measures have been implemented in light of developments.

"All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be x-ray screened," a BAA statement said.

The alleged terror plot comes more than five years after Briton Richard Reid attempted to detonate explosives hidden in his sneakers on an American Airlines flight from Paris to Miami in December 2001, only a few months after the September 11, 2001 attacks in New York and Washington.

Passengers thwarted his plan, and the plane landed safely in Boston. Reid pleaded guilty to terrorism charges in October 2002 and is serving a life sentence at the nation's super-maximum security prison in Florence, Colorado.

kepdawg
08-10-2006, 02:23 AM
U.S. has banned any liquids from all commercial flights.

Threat level has been raised to orange/high.

Threat level on US bound flights from the UK has been raised to red/severe.

shankbear
08-10-2006, 07:39 AM
And there is a big segment of our society who believe that terrorism is not a real threat to us now. They think all the precautions and measures are to enrich certain people in this and other countries. If we do not unite and fight the blatant Islamic war which is being waged against us then we have many more sad days ahead. Find them, root them out and kill them grave yard dead. A good terrorist is a dead, non-twitching, non-breathing corpse.

Tiger Baseball
08-10-2006, 07:58 AM
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/321v.gif...No liquids of any kind, Hand lotion, Shampoo, Tooth paste, They mean no liquids.

Adidas410s
08-10-2006, 08:15 AM
it also includes no cosmetics. From what I heard, you can have them in your bags that are checked but not as a carry on item. One of my friends is flying to a wedding today...hopefully she got my text message telling her about it.

44INAROW
08-10-2006, 08:23 AM
My son is flying in from FLA tomorrow.. but he usually checks everything since he checks his golf clubs - guess I better call and give him some friendly mother advice :)

shankbear
08-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Baby formula appears to be the only exception. They just won't let certain babies on board I guess.

Gobbla2001
08-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
My son is flying in from FLA tomorrow.. but he usually checks everything since he checks his golf clubs - guess I better call and give him some friendly mother advice :)

Funny, our neighbor's daughter is flying TO FLA right now... had to bag her phone etc...

hear they're pouring out perfume????

sorry ladies...

kepdawg
08-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Channel 8 in Dallas just finished a segment that should have been titled Bomb Making 101! It amazes me when the media is so stupid!