>
>
>
> Living Will Form
>
>
> Ever since the Terry Schiavo debacle there has been an increase of
> living wills from 10,000 a year to 40,000. This is our form for the New
> Living Will. I think this is the best living will form that I've seen.
> It's easy to understand, and it makes perfect sense as a well. It will
> help cut the paper work.
>
>
>
> I, _________________________, being of sound mind and body, do not wish
> to be kept alive indefinitely by artificial means. Under no
> circumstances should my fate be put in the hands of pinhead politicians
> who couldn't pass ninth-grade biology if their lives depended on it or
> lawyers/doctors interested in simply running up the bills.
>
>
>
> If a reasonable amount of time passes and I fail to ask for at least
> one
> of the following:
> ______a Bloody Mary,
> ______a Margarita
> ______a Bud Light
> ______a Martini
> ______a Vodka and Tonic
> ______a steak
> ______a lobster or crab legs
> ______the remote control
> ______chocolate
> ______sex
> ______a tee time
>
> It should be presumed that I won't ever get better. When such a
> determination is reached, I hereby instruct my appointed person and
> attending physicians to pull the plug, reel in the tubes and call it a
> day.

shankbear
08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
I will incorporate this form into my practice. I think I will only charge $500.00 for this. lol

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
I will incorporate this form into my practice. I think I will only charge $500.00 for this. lol ROFL! These forms (the real ones) are a JOKE! IMHO. My father had one of these forms, but when push came to shove at the hospital we were able to override his living will/directive to physicians! :doh: I don't know if they should have allowed us to do this, but I'm glad they did. It gave us a little more time to prepare. :( Sorry for being so morbid.

shankbear
08-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Pirate...not being nosy here but did his living will/phy. dir. ask that no extreme measures be taken or that any and all measures be taken to keep him going? Many doctors will ignore a living will/phy. dir. and avoid any possibility of a lawsuit due to any perceived malpractice. There are no ramifications for ignoring a living will/phy. dir.

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Pirate...not being nosy here but did his living will/phy. dir. ask that no extreme measures be taken or that any and all measures be taken to keep him going? Many doctors will ignore a living will/phy. dir. and avoid any possibility of a lawsuit due to any perceived malpractice. There are no ramifications for ignoring a living will/phy. dir. He didn't want to be kept alive by machines, but my mom freaked (understandable) when he arrested (respitory problems) and had them bag him. I wasn't living here and she was at the hospital by herself. Anyway, like I said...I wasn't upset about it. I'm just saying that they sometimes don't always follow your instructions. ;) We finally did honor his wishes.

shankbear
08-09-2006, 09:39 AM
There are times when I recommend clients utilizing a Statutory Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. It allows the person granting authority to name family members to make those decisions instead of leaving it all up to the doctor. These are tough calls.

The Schiavo litigation ate up huge amounts of cash. Some figures in the tens of millions have been tossed around but for sure HER court appointed lawyer had fees from 95,000 to 340,000 depending on whose figures you believe.

All of that could have been avoided with a document costing less than $200.

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 09:42 AM
There are times when I recommend clients utilizing a Statutory Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare. It allows the person granting authority to name family members to make those decisions instead of leaving it all up to the doctor. These are tough calls.

The Schiavo litigation ate up huge amounts of cash. Some figures in the tens of millions have been tossed around but for sure HER court appointed lawyer had fees from 95,000 to 340,000 depending on whose figures you believe.

All of that could have been avoided with a document costing less than $200. Yeah, I like that form alot better than the directive.

Tiger Baseball
08-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Oh so your going to dbl your profit with this one! I see how ya are. LOL

shankbear
08-09-2006, 09:50 AM
It would shock you how reasonable my fees are. I am the WalMart, the Sam's, the Costco, the Buylow, the Dollar General Store on these matters.

I do "Wills on Wheels" for people who can't come to my office. I love doing that kind of work. Much better than having to defend the likes of Maurice Clarett. lol

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 09:56 AM
It would shock you how reasonable my fees are. I am the WalMart, the Sam's, the Costco, the Buylow, the Dollar General Store on these matters.

I do "Wills on Wheels" for people who can't come to my office. I love doing that kind of work. Much better than having to defend the likes of Maurice Clarett. lol Are you sure you aren't my boss? :thinking: :D LOL!

shankbear
08-09-2006, 10:03 AM
I do talks at civic groups and churches about wills, powers of attorneys, etc. I go all over the place doing it and I enjoy that too. Less than 10% of Texans who need a will actually have one. A simple planning packet would include a will, power of attorney for financial matters and a POA for healthcare. These are VITAL.

I have taken information via email and have prepared documents for people out of my local area. They just call with any questions and sign them in front of a notary.

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
I do talks at civic groups and churches about wills, powers of attorneys, etc. I go all over the place doing it and I enjoy that too. Less than 10% of Texans who need a will actually have one. A simple planning packet would include a will, power of attorney for financial matters and a POA for healthcare. These are VITAL.

I have taken information via email and have prepared documents for people out of my local area. They just call with any questions and sign them in front of a notary. Cool! How much do you charge for that planning packet? I agree, everyone needs a will, general poa & poa for healthcare. Especially parents with young children. You just never know. Leaving instructions for the well being of your children is very important.

That concludes todays PSA! :)

shankbear
08-09-2006, 10:16 AM
pirate you would have to PM me for that info. The bar might construe my posting that info as advertising. Not sure.