PDA

View Full Version : The Top 20 Meanest U.S. Cities

pirate44
08-09-2006, 07:42 AM
The Top 20 Meanest U.S. Cities
Genteel and polite Little Rock, Arkansas has been branded the meanest city in the United States of America.

That's the word from the National Coalition for the Homeless, a national advocacy group, that has named the top 20 meanest U.S. cities based on how they treat the homeless who live within their city limits, as well as purported civil rights violations, reports The Associated Press. The list was created using data samplings from 179 communities in 48 states.

Little Rock received this dubious distinction due to its efforts to close 27 transient camps for homeless people around the city. Although the plan was tabled after advocates for the homeless objected, the coalition is concerned that the city could still move forward with the plan. This is the third year the report has been issued, and the first time Little Rock made the list at all. Previously, Las Vegas held the No. 1 spot.

The top 20 meanest U.S. cities:

Little Rock, Arkansas
Atlanta, Georgia
Cincinnati, Ohio
Las Vegas, Nevada
Gainesville, Florida
New York City, New York
Los Angeles, California
San Francisco, California
Honolulu, Hawaii
Austin, Texas
Sarasota, Florida
Key West, Florida
Nashville, Tennessee
Berkeley, California
Dallas, Texas
Fresno, California
San Antonio, Texas
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
St. Paul, Minnesota
Manchester, New Hampshire

The top four meanest states:

California
Florida
Hawaii
Texas

Adidas410s
08-09-2006, 08:24 AM
I know I usually try and let the homeless guys that hang out at the corner of Coit and 635 know that I think they're Number 1!!! ;) :thumbsup:

PPHSfan
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
woohooooo three in the top twenty.:D

STANG RED
08-09-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by pirate44

That's the word from the National Coalition for the Homeless

Maybe they should get off their dead butts and start being productive members of society, and they wont have time to take part in idiotic polls like this.

Adidas410s
08-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Maybe they should get off their dead butts and start being productive members of society, and they wont have time to take part in idiotic polls like this.

just think about it...there are actually people walking up to bums and saying "so how do you feel you are treated?" To which the bum replies, "Oh absolutely great. I have no home...no car...my wife ran away with the kids...no job. Ya know, if it weren't the kind and caring people that drive under this highway every day...I just don't know if I would have the strength to keep on living."

That's just messed up!

shankbear
08-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Did these homeless people hire a polling group to come in and get this data? Did they hang on all the various street corners and observe the homeless tactics and the giving by the donors?

Just curious as to their methods.

CenTexSports
08-09-2006, 08:44 AM
In my best Phil C voice:

Show some COMPASSION!!!!!!

With the election of a democratic president, several of us may find ourselves in this situation.

Adidas410s
08-09-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
In my best Phil C voice:

Show some COMPASSION!!!!!!

With the election of a democratic president, several of us may find ourselves in this situation.

SHOW SOME POLITICAL IMPARTIALITY ON THE DOWNLOW!!! :mad: :mad:

Sweetwater Red
08-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Before ya'll start bashing the homeless...remember the first
Rambo movie. :D

Maroon87
08-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Houston is not in the top 20 but SA, Austin, and Dallas are? Un-freaking-believable...:eek:

shankbear
08-09-2006, 09:23 AM
Why are they called the Meanest cities? Skeptical maybe. If everybody threw a bucket of warm pee on these homeless, that would be mean.

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Houston is not in the top 20 but SA, Austin, and Dallas are? Un-freaking-believable...:eek: No joke! Just look at their pro sports teams that alone gives them the right to be mean! :D :D

Ranger Mom
08-09-2006, 09:40 AM
My little sister showed up at my house last week and informed me that she had been homeless for the past 2-1/2 months!!

She has been sleeping behind a car wash in Midland!!

As far as I am concerned, she is homeless BY CHOICE!! I feel no sympathy for her WHATSOEVER!!

She knows she has a room of her own at my house as long as she doesn't drag her "Hero of a boyfriend" with her! He's not allowed at my house!

There are the homeless who absolutely have no place to go and there are the homeless who have a place, but don't like the conditions put forth for them to stay there!

I've begun to think I am adopted!!:p

Emerson1
08-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I usually gave money after a mavs game if they won.

Bullaholic
08-09-2006, 10:22 AM
I wonder how many places in those cities in Texas that G2 and PPHSFan have been thrown out of and asked not to return? :D

Wonder why Mingus, TX is not on this list. If you have ever been in Mingus on a Saturday night, you know that it is the prohibitive No. 1 on this list.

tigerpride_08
08-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Houston is not in the top 20 but SA, Austin, and Dallas are? Un-freaking-believable...:eek:

i was kind of shocked to see SA too... :confused:

neck_06
08-09-2006, 10:40 AM
what happens in Mingus on Saturday nights?

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

DaHop72
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by neck_06

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Think "Old West" without the gunfights in the street.:D

AggieJohn
08-09-2006, 10:41 AM

The top four meanest states:

California
Florida
Hawaii
Texas <----------

that's because they know that if you come to our state and double cross us chuck norris will kick your A$$

Bullaholic
08-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by neck_06

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Well, Neck.....it's really not as "rowdy" in Mingus on Saturday nights much any more but about 25 years or so ago, when there were a bunch of young, tough "cedar hackers" who used to harvest cedar trees in the area, it was a tough place to be. These young cedar hackers would get paid, and like cowboys of old, they would head downtown Mingus to the nearest bar on Saturday night---and after many beers, fights always broke out and somebody usually ended up getting tossed thru a window.

pirate44
08-09-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
that's because they know that if you come to our state and double cross us chuck norris will kick your A$$
and you can bet he'll be sporting a fresh new 3ADL t-shirt while doing it

griff
08-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I just got back from a vacation to San Antonio and was pleased to see they did not have the high population of homeless folks (at least near the 410 loop north and west areas) that I'm accustomed to seeing in Houston. I'm sure they're around the city somewhere, but I didn't see any at feeder roads and intersections.

I remember a few years ago the Houston Chronicle did a feature story on JR Richard, the former Houston Astros pitcher. They found him living under a bridge in Houston. This is a guy who hit rock bottom - bankrupt, no career, no job, and nowhere to live - but he chose not to stay in that situation. The last I heard he was working as a baseball instructor at Texas Southern University. He's made the effort to pull himself up by the bootstraps and make something of himself, even after losing everything. The same cannot be said for most homeless people. They're content being lazy and living off the kindness of others.

The group who initiated this stupid poll have nothing better to do than to run down America and try to arouse people to give money to their cause. They probably have a lobby in Washington D.C. and push an agenda that believes if the government doesn't give more and more money to THEM and other homeless causes then they're "mean". What a waste of life.

District303aPastPlayer
08-09-2006, 12:00 PM
the homeless in SA are downtown near the river center.... after long days of classes some friends of mine, and myself, would go down and walk the entire course of the riverwalk... and we used to meet a guy or two who knew a thing or two about a thing or two.

pirate44
08-09-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
the homeless in SA are downtown near the river center.... after long days of classes some friends of mine, and myself, would go down and walk the entire course of the riverwalk... and we used to meet a guy or two who knew a thing or two about a thing or two.
there is a large group underneath the interstate overpass downtown (near Lulus jailhouse restaurant). there are a bunch. you can always see vans from charity type organizations handing out food.

big daddy russ
08-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Well, Neck.....it's really not as "rowdy" in Mingus on Saturday nights much any more but about 25 years or so ago, when there were a bunch of young, tough "cedar hackers" who used to harvest cedar trees in the area, it was a tough place to be. These young cedar hackers would get paid, and like cowboys of old, they would head downtown Mingus to the nearest bar on Saturday night---and after many beers, fights always broke out and somebody usually ended up getting tossed thru a window.
Do they still get a little crazy on Saturday nights? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Bullaholic
08-09-2006, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Do they still get a little crazy on Saturday nights? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Only if G2 and PPHSFan are there.......:D

Bandera YaYa
08-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I am in SA alot and I do see the homeless....I also know that the SAM Shelter is doing their best to help these people out....I donate regularly to this excellent organization, our youth group goes down at least once a month to work in them. I don't know why SA got this distinction, but I do know that the homeless are helped in SA. I'm sure there are bad stories everywhere....we all need to do our part to help. :)

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2006, 01:43 PM
I am all for helping those less fortunate than myself and have donated time and money to the worthy causes that help these people. I do NOT fall for the guy standing on the corner with the sign that says "Homeless, will work for food". That can be too much of a scam. (see examples) I feel bad for the fact that they're homeless, and for those that truly have no other options, I hope they're helped in any way possible.

For those that "use" it as a scam..... :foul: :foul:
1) Many years ago, one of our friends decided to stop to help the guy he saw that was holding a "homeless will work for food" sign. He offered to a fairly nice hamburger place and buy him a bag of burgers. He also told the guy if he was serious about working, he knew of some things the guy could do for him to earn some money. The man was unappreciative and declined both the food and the offer of work, responding that he "only wanted the money".
2) One of the Lubbock tv stations did an expose on the "homeless". There was a guy that would stand on the same street corner 3-4 times a week that let the station interview him. This corner was one I had to pass every day on the way home from the babysitter. In a "good week", he would rake in roughly $3000 in CASH.....non-taxable CASH.

AggieJohn
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
and you can bet he'll be sporting a fresh new 3ADL t-shirt while doing it a possible picture

pirate44
08-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
a possible picture
im way ahead of ya
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48135

htowntransplant
08-09-2006, 02:25 PM
well if ur a sinton fan and the people know it, then cuero is the meanest city. i remember what it was like at the cuero / gonzalez game we went to.... :eek:

District303aPastPlayer
08-10-2006, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
well if ur a sinton fan and the people know it, then cuero is the meanest city. i remember what it was like at the cuero / gonzalez game we went to.... :eek:

dude, no doubt. we got surrounded by a group... i felt SOOOOOOOOO unsafe in that situation.

STANG RED
08-10-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic

Wonder why Mingus, TX is not on this list. If you have ever been in Mingus on a Saturday night, you know that it is the prohibitive No. 1 on this list.

I spent one saturday night, bar hopping in Mingus, many years ago. Notice I only said one saturday night. That was the roughest bunch of mean a$$ed inbreads I have ever been around in my life. And I'm not even talking about the ceder hackers, I'm talking about their women. I just thought I had seen ugly before, but until you've been to Mingus, you havent seen true ugly. The only pretty thing about the whole trip, was seeing Mingus in our rearview mirror, when we left.

pirate4state
08-10-2006, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
well if ur a sinton fan and the people know it, then cuero is the meanest city. i remember what it was like at the cuero / gonzalez game we went to.... :eek: :confused: What happened to you guys???

District303aPastPlayer
08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:confused: What happened to you guys???

we were on a lil assignment, standing on the sidelines snappin some photos, and yeah... during halftime... a group of cuero folks kinda surrounded us and gave us the third degree.... it was really weird...

LH Panther Mom
08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
we were on a lil assignment, standing on the sidelines snappin some photos, and yeah... during halftime... a group of cuero folks kinda surrounded us and gave us the third degree.... it was really weird...
Well, next time don't wear your Sinton shirt. :p

pirate4state
08-10-2006, 09:22 AM
we were on a lil assignment, standing on the sidelines snappin some photos, and yeah... during halftime... a group of cuero folks kinda surrounded us and gave us the third degree.... it was really weird... They thought you were there to spy??? LOL! Did you flash your press credentials!! (loving the mental image)

District303aPastPlayer
08-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
They thought you were there to spy??? LOL! Did you flash your press credentials!! (loving the mental image)

actually... we did :) and they didnt seem to care... and we werent wearing sinton clothes...

pirate4state
08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
actually... we did :) and they didnt seem to care... and we werent wearing sinton clothes... :clap: :clap: I need to find a smiley!!! ROFL!! That's great!!! :D

SintonFan
08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
What questions did they ask you? Did they threaten physical harm? I'm curious...:thinking:

Bullaholic
08-10-2006, 01:19 PM
A few years ago, Decatur played Gainesville in a playoff game in Denton. I went, wore my Bulls cap, and sat on the Decatur side as I really did go to support them. Some young guy says in a "nasty" tone as I passed him by---"Nice hat". I replied--"Thanks. I've being wearing one of these for almost 30 years and don't plan on stopping now---Would you rather I sit on the other side and pull for Gainesville?" He turned around and did'nt say a word. I wouldn't wear my Bulls hat to Eagle stadium, unless the Bulls were playing Decatur, out of respect, but I will at a "neutral" playoff site---especially when I'm there to support the fellow-district Eagles if they are in playoff run.