PDA

View Full Version : Bomar's dad contacts UNT about son's future

kepdawg
08-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Bomar's dad contacts UNT about son's future

04:01 PM CDT on Tuesday, August 8, 2006

By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Jerry Bomar has spoken with North Texas assistant head coach Kenny Evans about the future of Bomar's son Rhett and the possibility of him playing for the Mean Green, Evans said Tuesday.

Evans spoke with Jerry Bomar shortly after his son and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn were dismissed from Oklahoma after a university investigation revealed the players were paid by Big Red Sports/Imports, a local car dealership, for work they did not perform last summer and fall. Evans advised the Bomars on the steps Rhett, who was the Sooners’ starting quarterback, should take while trying to resume his college football career.

Evans and UNT head coach Darrell Dickey both said they would be willing to consider Bomar continuing his career at UNT.

Jerry Bomar did not return a message seeking comment.

Bomar has yet to be released by Oklahoma, which could choose not to release him to a school on its upcoming schedule. UNT is scheduled to open the 2007 season at Oklahoma.

Both Dickey and Evans said UNT would have to investigate Bomar’s situation, his status with the NCAA and of his commitment to the Mean Green before accepting him as a transfer. The NCAA could suspend Bomar, reducing the amount of eligibility he has left, after he transfers to another member school.

Several schools have expressed interest in Bomar, including TCU. Frogs coach Gary Patterson said over the weekend that he was interested in Bomar and Quinn before saying Monday that he had changed his mind and could not take on either player.

E-mail bvito@dentonrc.com

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2006, 06:23 PM
Forgive me while I rant for a sec. And yes, I have a 21-y/o son and I know from experience they can do some knot-headed things.

His kid messed up pretty big and is some hot water with the NCAA. But, the "concern" is getting to play somewhere else? :doh: :doh:

AggieJohn
08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
i just wanna know if he'll have too sit out this year

Emerson1
08-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Of course. Transfering doesn't all of a sudden make things better.

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I think they should make him go to a NAIA school if he wants to play.

NCAA should be out.

VWG
08-08-2006, 09:51 PM
NCAA D-1 football at a major conference is big business. Bomar could care less about the education. Most of those kids playing at D-1 schools are dreaming of making it to the NFL. Most of the kids that can't make the NFL go to the CFL, etc........

garageoffice
08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Z motion 10 out on 2
I think they should make him go to a NAIA school if he wants to play.

NCAA should be out.

If I understand the situation correctly, that's his only option if he's to play this year. Even if OU releases him from his scholarship AND he's re-instated by the NCAA he would still have to sit out this year at any other NCAA school.

AggieJohn
08-08-2006, 09:54 PM
unless it's div 1-AA, then he can play this year

tortilla_man
08-08-2006, 11:02 PM
send him over to Sam Houston State

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Forgive me while I rant for a sec. And yes, I have a 21-y/o son and I know from experience they can do some knot-headed things.

His kid messed up pretty big and is some hot water with the NCAA. But, the "concern" is getting to play somewhere else? :doh: :doh: come on now when your son is a NFL talent you try your best to get him to play somewhere. Yea he messed up and it was dumb but your honestly telling me most 19-23 year old college students wouldnt take money like Bomar did i know i would. Isnt it funny you can rape somebody and still get to play but if you take money you cant ok somethings wrong there

KTJ
08-09-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
come on now when your son is a NFL talent you try your best to get him to play somewhere. Yea he messed up and it was dumb but your honestly telling me most 19-23 year old college students wouldnt take money like Bomar did i know i would. Isnt it funny you can rape somebody and still get to play but if you take money you cant ok somethings wrong there

The funniest part of this post is that you think Rhett Bomar has "NFL talent".

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
The funniest part of this post is that you think Rhett Bomar has "NFL talent". how can you say hes not an NFL talent when he only played his freshman year and did pretty dang good? I understand your a UT fan I am to but give credit where credits due

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Of course. Transfering doesn't all of a sudden make things better. If you go to a non DI school he can play

CalallenWildcat
08-09-2006, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
If you go to a non DI school he can play

If he wins his appeal with the NCAA and they reinstate him. He will have to pay the money back to do that.

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 02:18 AM
how can you say hes not an NFL talent when he only played his freshman year and did pretty dang good? I understand your a UT fan I am to but give credit where credits due Because OU sucks. He threw 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions so there is not much credit to be given.

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Because OU sucks. He threw 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions so there is not much credit to be given. 10 touchdowns and 10 ints isnt that bad considering Vince Youngs frehsman year he threw 6 touchdowns and 7 ints and got blown out by OU just like Bomar did against Texas. Im not at all a Bomar fan Ive just noticed everyone here is quick to throw him under the bus and run him over with it 4 times.

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 02:27 AM
10 touchdowns and 10 ints isnt that bad considering Vince Youngs frehsman year he threw 6 touchdowns and 7 ints and got blown out by OU just like Bomar did against Texas. Im not at all a Bomar fan Ive just noticed everyone here is quick to throw him under the bus and run him over with it 4 times. Vince was 30-2 as a starter. Bomar so far is 8-4.

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 02:32 AM
Vince was 30-2 as a starter. Bomar so far is 8-4. Didnt quite get thrown into the fire like Bomar did and this isnt Major League Baseball talking win loss record everytime you watch a college football show they always say the most overrated stat Qbs win loss record

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 02:38 AM
The only reason they say that about Vince Young is because he's black, honestly. They were in love with the fact that Matt Leinart was undefeated till the NC game.

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 02:42 AM
The only reason they say that about Vince Young is because he's black, honestly. They were in love with the fact that Matt Leinart was undefeated till the NC game. come on pulling out the race card LMAO. They said that way before then but Bomar didnt have a Chance Mock to ease him into the system.

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 02:46 AM
The race card actually is the truth in this situation.

eagles_victory
08-09-2006, 02:48 AM
The race card actually is the truth in this situation. so people refuse to give Vince the credit he deserves because he is black give me a break. Im not trying to down VInce in anyway but people are bashing Bomar like hes the anti christ and saying he sucks when his numbers match up with Vince Youngs numbers his freshman year.

LH Panther Mom
08-09-2006, 05:54 AM
come on now when your son is a NFL talent you try your best to get him to play somewhere. Yea he messed up and it was dumb but your honestly telling me most 19-23 year old college students wouldnt take money like Bomar did i know i would. Isnt it funny you can rape somebody and still get to play but if you take money you cant ok somethings wrong there
I didn't say that I wouldn't want him to play somewhere. And I didn't say anything about raping someone and being allowed to play being right either. I would hope my kids had enough sense to know that the rules are there for a reason and to follow them, BUT if they screwed up, I would be more concerned with getting the mess straightened out FIRST and then worry about him playing somewhere else.

wedo
08-09-2006, 07:47 AM
The only reason they say that about Vince Young is because he's black, honestly. They were in love with the fact that Matt Leinart was undefeated till the NC game.

matt Leinart was not undefeated!!! He lost in 03 to Cal!!!!!!!! What about Vince being Black?????? That has nothing to do with anything! Even before the rose bowl game in 04 nobody respected Vince as a QB nor the entire team!!!! Rhett Bomar had more starts than Vince did as a Freshman, so there for the stats are better!! Still don't understand this black thing!!!

Phil C
08-09-2006, 08:21 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

wedo
08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

for who?????

KTJ
08-09-2006, 08:53 AM
how can you say hes not an NFL talent when he only played his freshman year and did pretty dang good? I understand your a UT fan I am to but give credit where credits due

Me being a UT fan has nothing to do with it. Even OU fans will tell you that Bomar wasn't as talented as his recruiting led you to believe. But just by watching him in several games, the dude just wasn't smart. I really couldn't see him playing, and surviving, in the NFL.

Could he make it? It's possible.

Will he make it? It's not that probable.

bullfrog_alumni_02
08-09-2006, 09:09 AM
when i read that bomar and quinn were kicked off the team i thought i had passed out from the heat. i seriouly thought i was dilusional or soemthing. ou's season is shot. when i was home i bought a shirt that says oklahoma football. i proudly wear it now, well, when i can. it says

"CHOKE - the official drink of oklahoma football":D

pirate4state
08-09-2006, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I didn't say that I wouldn't want him to play somewhere. And I didn't say anything about raping someone and being allowed to play being right either. I would hope my kids had enough sense to know that the rules are there for a reason and to follow them, BUT if they screwed up, I would be more concerned with getting the mess straightened out FIRST and then worry about him playing somewhere else. :clap: :clap: ITA!

tigerpride_08
08-09-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
unless it's div 1-AA, then he can play this year

thats what i would think he would want to do...

Phil C
08-09-2006, 10:36 AM
so people refuse to give Vince the credit he deserves because he is black give me a break. Im not trying to down VInce in anyway but people are bashing Bomar like hes the anti christ and saying he sucks when his numbers match up with Vince Youngs numbers his freshman year.

SHOW SOME POLITICAL CORRECTNESS! :mad:

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 12:10 PM
so people refuse to give Vince the credit he deserves because he is black give me a break. Im not trying to down VInce in anyway but people are bashing Bomar like hes the anti christ and saying he sucks when his numbers match up with Vince Youngs numbers his freshman year. He is anti christ he worships the devil!

Old Tiger
08-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by tigerpride_08
thats what i would think he would want to do... I hope he transfers to Texas State. That would be cool because if he transferred to UNT it would be stupid because UNT plays UT and he'll get popped again just like he did last year with UNT's front 5.