PDA

View Full Version : Team USA gets a test

eagles_victory
08-08-2006, 01:06 PM
GUANGZHOU, China -- After a pair of big blowouts, the U.S. finally got some competition.

The Americans also got a reality check: facing the world's best basketball teams without Carmelo Anthony is far from an easy task.

Anthony scored 16 first-half points before being forced out with a knee injury, and the United States hung on for a 90-86 victory over Brazil on Tuesday night.

The Denver Nuggets forward set the early scoring pace, but slipped while chasing a ball to the sideline with 2:21 left in the second quarter. He crashed into coach Mike Krzyzewski and left the game with a hyperextended right knee.

"Too early to say. Two or three days?" team director Jerry Colangelo told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan via e-mail when asked when Anthony might be able to play again.

"The injury doesn't look like it's serious," Krzyzewski said.

Kirk Hinrich added 14 points for the Americans, who led 52-38 at halftime. Brazil staged a big comeback while Anthony sat out the rest of the game.

The hard-fought win followed two easy U.S. victories -- a 46-point win over China and 45-point drubbing of Puerto Rico -- and offered a preview of the tougher competition the Americans will likely face at the world championship, which begins in Japan on Aug. 19.

"I think this is a great game for us and we needed this," said Atlanta Hawks guard Joe Johnson, who had 12 points and closed out the warmup win from the free throw line. "We needed to be tested, and tonight we showed a lot of pride."

Brazil went on a 16-0 run right after the break to grab a 54-52 advantage. The teams then traded the lead throughout the third quarter.

Taking advantage of Anthony's absence, Brazil went on the attack. Welington Dos Santos rattled the U.S. defense with his speed and passing, while Leandro Barbosa of the Phoenix Suns, and Alex Garcia repeatedly drove to the basket. Both finished with 14 points.

Cleveland Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao dictated play under the basket, racking up six defensive rebounds and three offensive boards in the third quarter. He fouled out in the final frame with Brazil trailing 85-82.

Four Brazilian players fouled out.

"It was a game of a lot of adversity for both teams," Krzyzewski said. "Our guys, I'm proud of them because they made winning plays down the stretch."

Hinrich was 8-for-8 from the foul line, and hit two of four 3-point attempts. LeBron James made a late layup, and Johnson added one from the free-throw line to seal it for the Americans.

"We invented the game," said Colangelo. "We sent our players and our coaches out to teach the world, and now they're closing the gap."

The U.S. next travels to South Korea for more exhibition games before heading to Japan.

sahen
08-08-2006, 02:57 PM
hm....so is Brazil good? or should we just assume China and Puerto Rico sucked and now we are going to be embarassed once again come World Championship time....

Adidas410s
08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by sahen
hm....so is Brazil good? or should we just assume China and Puerto Rico sucked and now we are going to be embarassed once again come World Championship time....

I doubt we get embarassed @ Worlds. With Coach K at the helm and a solid (not star powered) team...the US has to be considered the favorite to win.

AggieJohn
08-08-2006, 03:25 PM
brazil has always been good

sahen
08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I doubt we get embarassed @ Worlds. With Coach K at the helm and a solid (not star powered) team...the US has to be considered the favorite to win. we looked invinceable vs. Puerto Rico and China but we barely beat Brazil, i dont know how good Brazil is but im pretty sure they are not as good as Argentina and Italy and some others...now it could be cause we were in a exhibition game, but we need to win i hate losing especially in a sport that we invented....

Adidas410s
08-08-2006, 03:31 PM
didn't we lose to Puerto Rico a few years ago?

htowntransplant
08-08-2006, 03:32 PM
what worries me is that brazil made their comeback as soon as melo left the game. is he really that big an impact player to this team?? i would imagine we would have a surplus of talent to fill in for him.

kepdawg
08-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
what worries me is that brazil made their comeback as soon as melo left the game. is he really that big an impact player to this team?? i would imagine we would have a surplus of talent to fill in for him.

There are very few players on the roster that play Melo's game.

sahen
08-08-2006, 03:39 PM
didn't we lose to Puerto Rico a few years ago? yes we did in the olympics....

Adidas410s
08-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by sahen
yes we did in the olympics....

so we've already shown significant improvement. Look for it to continue.

sahen
08-08-2006, 04:25 PM
so we've already shown significant improvement. Look for it to continue. we beat Puerto Rico before the Olympics by like 50 in an exhibition game then lost to them in the first round by 19 a couple weeks later...so really we wont know until we play them in a game that actually counts if we have improved...

maestro
08-08-2006, 10:18 PM
the top teams in europe and the world will be tough competition....

I am expecting games within 10 points..