PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's speed (article)

Gobbla2001
08-08-2006, 12:24 PM
;)

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/Cartrer-car_sm2.jpg

Cuero's Carter climbs to second place in eMax Drag Racing Series standings
August 8, 2006
COY SLAVIK - Advocate Sports Editor
One day after his latest IHRA eMax Drag Racing Series Alcohol Funny Car victory, Cuero's Thomas Carter couldn't wait to get back behind the wheel of his Chevy Camaro "Jawbreaker".

"Once you get out of your car after winning a race, you want to hurry up and get back in it," said the 51-year-old Carter, who raced to victory Sunday in the Torco Race Fuels Northern Nationals in Martin, Mich. "The feeling of winning a race is really hard to describe."

It's a feeling Carter has experienced more than any other eMax Drag Racing Series driver this season. His three victories also have him in second place in the eMax overall standings. Carter has accumulated 459 points, which is only 26 behind leader Mark Thomas' 505.

"We have all worked really hard. I have a really good team and everyone works well together," said Carter, who is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon in Victoria.

On Friday, Carter beat Terry McMillen in the qualifying Round 1 with a time of 5.881 seconds and speed of 238.72 mph. Carter was second after the first qualifying round behind Terry Munroe, who was clocked at 5.833 seconds.

Then came a sub-par run for Carter on Saturday. He lost to Paul Noakes and crossed the finish in 6.377 seconds and hit a maximum speed of only 174.30 mph.

But Carter just slipped one notch to third in the standings after the second qualifying round. Carter and Noakes faced off again in the third qualifying round and Carter nearly matched his Friday run with a time of 5.882 in barely beating Noakes, who finished in 5.886.

Carter entered Sunday's elimination round ranked fifth out of the eight qualifiers. He drew Rob Atchison, the top qualifier, in the first elimination round and used his near-perfect reaction time to take a "holeshot" victory. Atchison had a quicker elapsed time (5.870) than Carter's (5.926), but Carter won based on his reaction time of 0.029 (0.000 is perfect).

"Anytime you beat the No. 1 qualifier, you know you've got a shot with everybody else," Carter said Monday while driving back to his Cuero home. "After I beat him, I knew I had a chance to at least go to the finals."

In the second elimination round, Carter defeated Munroe with a time of 5.932.

In the final, Carter faced McMillen and got off to a bad start. But Carter quickly made up ground and won with a time of 5.955 to McMillen's 6.139.

"We just came together today, and the biggest thing was beating Rob Atchison in the first round," Carter said after the victory. "I knew I had to do that, then after I did it I had to face Terry Munroe. So this win wasn't easy, but it really helps us."

The eMax Drag Racing Series, which has four more events remaining, continues Aug. 24-27 with the Skull Gear World Nationals in Norwalk, Ohio.