PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about artificial turf?

Stangster
08-14-2003, 09:31 PM
The new artificial turf in the Mustang Bowl allowed Sweetwater to host alot more playoff games than usual last year (mostly 1A and 2A). Which I thoroughly enjoyed. How many saw a game here last year? What is your take on artificial turf at the high school level? Is it worth the expense? It sure brought alot of business to Sweetwater. Is it fair to other schools?

Ranger Mom
08-14-2003, 09:37 PM
My freshman played in the Mustang Bowl last year. Before the game I went down and walked on it and got down and felt of it.

I think our boys liked playing on it, (that was their first astroplay field). Their only complaint was the little black balls that were all over them. But that eventually settles in, doesn't it?

I wish Greenwood could have the "fake" stuff. But because we are surrounded by cottonfield, the "experts" say it wouldn't last but 2 or 3 years! But, we do now have a level field with brand new grass on it.

c-town_balla
08-14-2003, 09:48 PM
I like the stuff that Waco ISD has.....astroturf the old stuff is just......painful

Stangster
08-14-2003, 09:57 PM
Yes, the black "chips" are suppose to settle and make for better play. It was interesting to see the black "clouds" at the runner's feet early in the season. I have been on the field and it feels like a very good natural grass turf. But there's quite a price tag for it! But our field never looked better from the stands.

Chopblock
08-14-2003, 10:39 PM
God knew what he was doing when he made Grass
Artificial Turf is just that.
I would rather ref a game on grass, I remember the hardest Turf of all was the old rug at TCU with Wichita Falls Memorial a close 2nd
Waco ISD is better that the old Astro Turf but it isnt grass

exbccards76'smom
08-15-2003, 09:41 AM
the black pieces are chopped up rubber, recycled tires I think. that is the type of turf that was at the college where my son went.

Stangster
08-15-2003, 10:13 AM
There is no conparision between the old astro turf and the new astroplay turf. The players seem to like the artificial turf. But does that justify the expense?

District303aPastPlayer
08-15-2003, 11:44 AM
the stuff at the Memorial High stadium (Victoria) is great to play on. The worst i have ever set foot on is either the PSJA Stadium (pharr-san juan-alamo in the valley) or the Alamo Stadium (Next to Trinity) are just horrible. We wore turf shoes on both, and i remember my shoes came off during hte game with Raymondville because my shoes stuck.

BigW
08-15-2003, 11:51 AM
The Mustang Bowl is an excellent stadium and the Turf only made it better!

exbccards76'smom
08-15-2003, 12:36 PM
I worry for our guys when they start playing on turf. We aren't used to it, and turf can cause major pain if your not used to it.

Stangster
08-15-2003, 01:57 PM
BigW:
The Mustang Bowl is an excellent stadium and the Turf only made it better!I couldn't have said it better myself

CRUSHER
08-15-2003, 02:51 PM
I have heard the players talk about the black be bees and have also heard that the soft turf has produce calf cramps. Has anyone else heard of this problem.

wildstangs
08-15-2003, 06:45 PM
The Bowl looks excellent with the turf. Maybe one day we can get the bathroom and concession stands renovated.

Stangster
08-15-2003, 10:08 PM
wildstangs:
The Bowl looks excellent with the turf. Maybe one day we can get the bathroom and concession stands renovated.I love to watch football at the Mustang bowl. Unfortunately, the restrooms are in dire condition and the concession stand situation is really irritating.

Ranger Mom
08-15-2003, 10:23 PM
I remember when my freshman played there last year, there were TONS of black bugs in the bathroom!!

Keith7
08-16-2003, 02:36 AM
CRUSHER:
I have heard the players talk about the black be bees and have also heard that the soft turf has produce calf cramps. Has anyone else heard of this problem.yea we played on it lastyear twice, and the beebees get all in your shoes, they suck...
and they retain heat.. so when your playin and its a hot summer night, you can feel the heat coming up

mustang04
08-17-2003, 08:32 PM
i LOVE our turf in our Mustang Bowl.....it makes it look so awesome.....and about the calf cramp things, thats never happened to any of us that im aware of...hasnt happened to me yet, i love the turf, its alot of fun to play on, and the black bb's are settled in alot better than last year, so its not as bad

20dawgz05
08-17-2003, 09:52 PM
the astro turf is cool i like it except i know it hurts worse when u fall some of our boys had some pretty tough scratches.........its also kinda slick in the rain when we marched at waco for state it was rainin and very slick!!!

Z motion 10 out on 2
08-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Dang for the bad luck at the Mustang Bowl. My son injured his mcl the first play of the game in last years Sweetwater / Vernon game. So he told me he hated it. Then he played on it again against Ballinger and I noticed several of the players not getting a real good footing or stumping their foot it seemed like. Vernon plays on natural grass and when you guys come to Vernon this year you will see how nice of a stadium we have as well. I think grass is the way to go execpt at the end of the year when the grass starts to wear and with rain it can turn into a mud bowl. Graham had a terrible yard last year when Vernon played there, if it had been on that artificial stuff Graham may have been able to run up the score a little more on us.

However, I must say from a picturesque standpoint, the Mustang Bowl is about as nice as they get.

Stangster
08-18-2003, 10:44 AM
I can't complain about the new turf in the Mustang Bowl, It looks great and brings alot more playoff games to Sweetwater. I have to admit I'm loving the opportunity to watch more High School football. Go Mustangs!

Stangster
08-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Z motion 10 out on 2:
Dang for the bad luck at the Mustang Bowl. My son injured his mcl the first play of the game in last years Sweetwater / Vernon game. So he told me he hated it. Then he played on it again against Ballinger and I noticed several of the players not getting a real good footing or stumping their foot it seemed like. Vernon plays on natural grass and when you guys come to Vernon this year you will see how nice of a stadium we have as well. I think grass is the way to go execpt at the end of the year when the grass starts to wear and with rain it can turn into a mud bowl. Graham had a terrible yard last year when Vernon played there, if it had been on that artificial stuff Graham may have been able to run up the score a little more on us.

However, I must say from a picturesque standpoint, the Mustang Bowl is about as nice as they get.

Stangster
08-21-2003, 11:14 AM
I'm looking forward to the Vernon-Sweetwater game. I think it will be a great game to watch, although I would prefer it to be in the Mustang Bowl. See ya in about a week! Go Mustangs!

Green Ranger
08-21-2003, 11:23 AM
Artificial turf is just that, artificial. If you are use to it, and know which shoes to wear and have access to a grass field who have a leg up on the competition. The cramps, slips (I dont think band members where wearing cleats.)and so forthare because the players are not use to the surface. Are there more injuries on turf, that is an on going study right now. When the black beads get worn in I really like the Atro-play turf. Sweetwater, well look forward to playing ya again and may the best team win.

heck
08-21-2003, 01:31 PM
The stats for Astroplay are much better than real grass. If you haven't ever walked on this stuff, you should, its soft and gets better with age. BTW, its not necessarily a "fast track" either.

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>