PDA

View Full Version : Is it too soon?

pirate4state
08-07-2006, 10:02 AM
New Yorkers shy away from Stone's September 11 film by Catherine Hours
Sun Aug 6, 1:18 AM ET

NEW YORK (AFP) - For many New Yorkers it is too soon. For others the very idea of reliving the September 11 tragedy through the eyes of Oliver Stone in his new film "World Trade Center" is too traumatic to think about.

"I have no interest whatsoever. I think it's horrible. Just the idea of having a movie about 9/11 bothers me," said Jessica Amato in summarizing the mood of many New Yorkers about Stone's new project, released nationally August 9.

Amato worked on Wall Street for Goldman Sachs when first one plane and then another smashed into the twin World Trade Center towers, eventually bringing down the landmarks in a deadly heap in 2001.

"It was enough to live it once as a New Yorker. I don't think I want to pay money to see it again on the screen," Amato said. "To me it's sacred ground, it's a grave site, and it should be (left) alone as such."

The movie, inspired by the true story of two police officers who were miraculously rescued from the debris, sparked wide-ranging debate before its release.

Mary Schneidman, a mother who lives in one of the city's upscale suburbs, said she trusted Stone to do an honorable job.

"I'm really interested. I like Oliver Stone. He has an interesting take on issues in his movies," said Schneidman.

The movie had a Hollywood-style sneak preview here Thursday evening, with the red carpet rolled out for celebrities like the singer Sting, but also attended by key figures in the tragedy such as former mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Victims' relatives also attended the showing.

Among these was Mary Fetchet, who lost a son that day and is the founding director of the Voices of September 11, a non-profit advocacy group providing support for people impacted by the events.

"I think these movies are very important, the stories have to be documented," she said. But she agreed that some would disagree with her view.

Carie Lemack, who lost her mother in the first plane attack and later founded the Families of September 11, a victims' support group, said she started running out of movie theaters when the film's trailers hit the screens in May.

"I didn't want to have to see my mom's murder, I don't know why I have to experience it every time I'm going to watch a movie."

Her organization's Internet site devoted its front page to a discussion on whether those who were struck by the events should watch.

"The answer is very individual," the Families of September 11 site says.

Stone himself has so far received predominantly positive reviews from critics, including the New Yorker magazine, and he repeated last week that he believed the film would preserve the memory of the event for future generations.

"It's important to remember. People are forgetting already. Kids should know," said the director, who has promised to donate a portion of the film's proceeds to victims' associations.

But a few months after the modest box-office performance of "United 93" -- the story of the hijacked plane that was taken over and downed by passengers who all lost their lives -- some New Yorkers are skeptical about the movie's potential success.

"Why I hate this lousy movie," wrote Cindy Adams, the popular columnist for the New York Post.

"New Yorkers infuse such pain and emotion into 9/11 that, for now, absolutely nothing could project onto a screen what still rips at our entrails," Adams wrote Friday.

Hugh Dillon, a lawyer, came out to watch stars like Nicolas Cage attend the premier showing -- but there is no question of him actually watching the movie itself.

"No, it's too sensitive. I'm very familiar with the story, and I'd be crying for the whole two hours," he said.

Stephen Levin, a doctor at Mount Sinai hospital who works on several programs associated with the post-traumatic stress disorder and other problems suffered by survivors, said he believed few of his patients would want to see the film.

"Their enthusiasm to see such reminders of awful events is very low and I have patients who, at the anniversary of the terrible event, every September, they leave New York City," Levin said.

The police union of the New York and New Jersey Port Authority, which lost 37 people on September 11, has already officially informed its members of the risk of traumatic shock should they decide to see the movie.

Story link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060806/ennew_afp/afpent
ertainmentfilmusattacks_060806051818)

Thoughts?

Adidas410s
08-07-2006, 10:07 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad:

AggieJohn
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
i'm for the movie, i just think that the name of the movie should be changed

pirate4state
08-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :mad: "true...true..."

I didn't write the article. I found it interesting and wanted to know what everyone else thought and since polls are so popular these days...:D

Adidas410s
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
All kidding aside, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. I think the best quote to answer your question is found in the article:

"The answer is very individual,"

Ranger Mom
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
If they dont' wanna go see it...then don't go!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pirate4state
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
If they dont' wanna go see it...then don't go!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But they want to be "heard" it's all about the media hype.

Phil C
08-07-2006, 10:37 AM
I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie made sooner especially one made for tv.

pirate4state
08-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I'm surprised there hasn't been a movie made sooner especially one made for tv. Well there was Flight 93 and you didn't hear any outcry from their family.

STANG RED
08-07-2006, 10:53 AM
The day it happened, I knew a movie would be made sooner or later, and figured it would be sooner than later. So I'm not surprised it has come out already, but I believe it is a little too soon. It doesnt surprise me at all the Oliver Stone is the one that has brought it out. I'm sure he was working on it before the sun went down on the day it happened. I dont think peoples feelings are ever very high on his list of considerations.

spiveyrat
08-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I think a lot of Americans need a good reminder of where we are now and what got us here. We are at war with a faction of radical Islamic terrorists who want to do 1 of 3 things to us "infidels"... either 1) convert us, 2) enslave us, or 3) kill us. I still get blood boiling mad when I see pictures of those jets ramming into those buildings. You don't ever see these images on TV anymore. Too many Americans have moved on. I'm glad that the film is coming out. The more Americans who don't live in a "fairy-tale" reality, the better off all Americans are.

I hate that my children will never know the "innocent" America I grew up in. :(