PDA

View Full Version : Went tubing on the Frio this weekend...

SintonFan
08-06-2006, 11:44 PM
The water was up Saturday(yay!) and back down Sunday($%^@*!). I'm sunburnt, thirsty and barely able to type with these chapped arms from paddling on the tube today.
I found me my new home on the Frio, Seven Bluffs Camp at the first water crossing past Bee's camp. Nice cabins, with an even nicer frosty AC(the older you get, the more important having a frosty cold cabin at night is).:D
And Billy Bob's burger in Hondo is still pretty darn good. *brap*:)

maroogreen
08-07-2006, 01:00 AM
Well, we just missed you. the family and I spent the week there (Monday-Friday). River was low, but of course it rained Thursday night and we left Friday morning. We noticed lots of rock/gravel shifting and a lot of downed trees/trash from the flooding during the last few years. But it was still a great time. And no sunburn for any of the five in the immediate family--I take that sunblock seriously! :D Too bad the rest of my extended family doesn't...

SintonFan
08-07-2006, 01:11 AM
The river has totally changed since I was last there. I almost didn't recognize it.
I too take sunblock serious but that crappy spray-on junk didn't work like it was supposed to.
Did yall stay at SBC too?

CalallenWildcat
08-07-2006, 02:14 AM
I've tubed the distance from Seven Bluffs all the way to Neals. The part of the River between Seven Bluffs and Bee's Camp/Frio Country is the best part IMO.

maroogreen
08-07-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The river has totally changed since I was last there. I almost didn't recognize it.
I too take sunblock serious but that crappy spray-on junk didn't work like it was supposed to.
Did yall stay at SBC too?

It's funny that you say that about the spray-on sunblock. That's what the rest of my family used. They ended up all splotchy with little bits of "blocked skin" surrounded by sunburned skin. It is the strangest thing I've ever seen!!! My husband, who works outside everyday, swears by the Coppertone sportsblock that you have to rub in. It's so water- and sweatproof, you have to physically wash it off of you like a plastic film.

We stayed at a house we rented from FrioFun. Actually, it's owned by some people from Aransas Pass. I think their kids went to school in Taft, though. Other members of my family knew them from 4-H, but it was just a coincidence that we rented their house. Nice place, though.

CHS_CG
08-07-2006, 08:49 AM
My friends and I are goin to tube the Comal on the 21st

SintonFan
08-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
I've tubed the distance from Seven Bluffs all the way to Neals. The part of the River between Seven Bluffs and Bee's Camp/Frio Country is the best part IMO.
That's the section of river we stayed on this weekend.;)
maroogreen, thanks for the tip, I'll try Coppertone Sportsblock.:)

Maroon87
08-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat

I agree. I've tubed through there many a time...:cool: And Frio Country is a nice place to stay if you can ever get a reservation.

olddawggreen
08-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
The water was up Saturday(yay!) and back down Sunday($%^@*!). I'm sunburnt, thirsty and barely able to type with these chapped arms from paddling on the tube today.
I found me my new home on the Frio, Seven Bluffs Camp at the first water crossing past Bee's camp. Nice cabins, with an even nicer frosty AC(the older you get, the more important having a frosty cold cabin at night is).:D
And Billy Bob's burger in Hondo is still pretty darn good. *brap*:)

Man, if the Frio was as low while you were tubbing there as it was when I last saw it, I bet your butt is pretty chapped and scraped up too. :eek: The water looked pretty sad:(

SintonFan
08-08-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Man, if the Frio was as low while you were tubbing there as it was when I last saw it, I bet your butt is pretty chapped and scraped up too. :eek: The water looked pretty sad:(
The area had some decent rain Friday night. The trip from Seven Bluffs Cabins to Bee's Camp was a one hour trip Saturday morning. That is normally a two hour trip.:inlove:
Later Saturday, it was almost back to normal.
Sunday it was back to kinda low. But seriously, with my posterior padding, it was a pretty soft ride.:D
The worst part was, as usual, the second private crossing where you had to walk about a football field back to decent tubing.
I'm gonna buy me a kayak after I saw a party go through darn near everything with no walking. Man, those thing have only a 3" draft. That's the way to go when the water is extremely low.:smoker:

Boosty_Hondo
09-01-2006, 06:39 PM
yes billy bobs is pretty darn good some of the best burger ive ever had