PDA

View Full Version : NCAA, UIL, Indian Names.....

IHStangFan
08-05-2006, 10:44 PM
taken from another thread.....I was thinking of all of the things and places I've been personally that are named for, after, etc. "indians". First off...lets look at how "Indians" became refered to as "indians" Indians are just that....the indigneous people of India. Christopher Columbus mistakenly refered to "Native Americans" as "Indians" after he encounted the people & believed he had reached India. SO......that kinda negates it if you REALLY want to get at the root. Anyway....Is this just the begining? Will towns have to change their names? Counties? National monuments? such as Little Big Horn or Tonto Ntl. Monument? How about towns? Cheyenne, WY? Pueblo, CO? How bout a little closer to home...Aransas Pass/Port Aransas, TX? Cochise County, AZ? how about words of the english language that were taken from native american cultures?? cactus, hickory, pecan, chili, barbeque, hurricane?? anyone else see where I'm going w/ this?

shankbear
08-05-2006, 10:48 PM
Too many overly sensitive namby pamby politically correct bozos out there. They need to get a freakin grip or they will become nothing but feckless crapweasels in waiting.

sahen
08-05-2006, 10:59 PM
Texas comes from an Indian word for friend....looks like we r gonna have to change our name..

Emerson1
08-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I hear most indians nations are even offended by names like seminole because the university accurately shows what a seminole is. It's stuff like the cleveland indians with a goofy looking indian that they are most upset about.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7629/floridastatearqs1.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/310/indiansfz6.jpg

sahen
08-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
most indians nations
im pretty sure it isnt most Indian nations but more like a minority...the Seminole Nation gave its support of Florida State even w/ their false depictation....most schools named after Indians give back tons of money and invest heavily in Indian Education....for the most part it is a minority of Indians that have a problem with this not a majority....

Highschoolfan78
08-06-2006, 02:54 AM
so the native american association should start their own team... i've thought of a few names for them to offend

The Matagorda Spanish Invadores
The Texas Diseased Lightskins
Tenotechlican Aztec Destroyers

Idk maybe the southern people who feel offended by our indians names just need to make some names and call it even. Personally many places name their team (i believe) in referrence to their cultural and geographical regions in which their city or county lie upon. I just do not see a problem. So much of what America bases todays living on comes from Native Americans. Until the Indians decsending from the country India have a problem with the title of the name, I say do not change anything. Either that or change every teams name to names from the Hurricane tracking chart haha.. idk

CalallenWildcat
08-06-2006, 09:23 AM
Karankawa Cannibals