PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Phil

eagles_victory
08-05-2006, 04:21 AM
PARIS -- The B sample of Tour de France winner Floyd Landis has tested positive for the male sex hormone testosterone, the International Cycling Union said on Saturday.

The result confirms the American's initial positive drugs test given after his victory on the 17th stage of the Tour on July 20.

Saturday's announcement capped a wild two weeks of accusations, speculation and denials, the latest of which is that dehydration might have caused Landis' elevated testosterone level.

"Maybe a combination of dehydration, maximum effort," said Jose Maria Buxeda, one of Landis' Spanish lawyers, after testing began Thursday on the cyclist's backup doping sample.

But that defense was flatly rejected by one of the world's top anti-doping officials.

"In 25 years of experience of testing testosterone ... such a huge increase in the level of testosterone cannot be accepted to come from any natural factors," said Prof. Christiane Ayotte, director of Montreal's anti-doping laboratory.

"If dehydration was the case, then marathon runners would be testing positive all the time. Tennis players would be testing positive all the time. Dehydration is a medical condition that requires hospitalization. It has been invoked in the past, but not one case -- to my knowledge -- has been successful in this argument."

Speaking at the Chatenay-Malabry laboratory, which is conducting the analysis, Buxeda said he expects the "B" sample to confirm the original positive result, which showed a testosterone imbalance in a July 20 urine specimen.

However, Buxeda, who was contracted to protect Landis' interests in Europe, contends a second positive sample would not be enough to find Landis guilty. He also seemed to question the validity of the French lab, which is accredited by the World Anti-Doping Agency and the International Olympic Committee.

"I wouldn't say that they know. I would say they can presume. They do not have the certainty," Buxeda said.

By contrast, Landis is "certain" he hasn't ingested banned substances, Buxeda said.

If the "B" sample is positive, the results will be sent to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency, which would handle the case.

If found guilty, Landis would be stripped of the Tour de France title and banned for two years, although the process could take several months to clear any appeals.

Since July 27, when Phonak was notified of the positive doping test, the cyclist and his defense team have offered varying explanations as to why Landis turned up a testosterone-epitestosterone ratio of 11:1 in a July 20 test after he sped his way back into contention after winning the tough Stage 17 of the three-week Tour. That 11:1 ratio is nearly three times above the 4:1 limit.

Other potential causes offered have been cortisone shots taken to ease pain in Landis' degenerating hip; drinking beer and whiskey the night before stage 17; thyroid medication; or his natural metabolism.

The latest theory -- dehydration -- appears to contrast with events.

Landis pushed ahead at the 45-mile mark and then rode alone for the remainder of the 124.3-mile ride.

A jubilant Landis conceded afterward that riding in front for hours had constituted an "advantage," because it meant he was constantly within reach of his Phonak team car.

Even under a baking sun, he had far more opportunity to drink fluids than had he been trapped alongside others in the main pack, where it takes longer for team cars to reach cyclists.

As he rode up the Alps, Landis regularly splashed his face with water and gulped liquids regularly provided by the Phonak car only yards behind.

"It was nice to be alone," Landis said after the stage. "It was an advantage."

He also said he planned to drink beer that night.

Allegations that the Chatenay-Malabry lab might not be reliable also were made last week by seven-time Tour winner Lance Armstrong.

He previously said his urine samples might have been mishandled by the lab, defending himself against allegations by French sports daily L'Equipe that he tested positive for EPO during the 1999 Tour.

Last Friday, Armstrong told The Associated Press that he "can't help but be aware the lab that found this suspicious reading is the same one that was at the center of the L'Equipe affair."

But WADA chief Dick Pound maintained testing in an accredited lab is "properly done."

Earlier this week, a New York Times report cited a source from the International Cycling Union saying that a second analysis of Landis' "A" sample by carbon isotope ratio testing had detected synthetic testosterone -- meaning it was ingested. Landis' personal doctor, Brent Kay, also confirmed to the New York Times that the test found the man-made hormone.

On Wednesday, U.S. attorney Howard Jacobs, who also represents Landis, accused the UCI of a breach of ethics for leaking results.

"I am troubled by the actions of the UCI and how they have spoken out about this case, which is in direct contravention of the UCI's own rules and the World Anti-Doping Code," Jacobs said.

The carbon isotope testing method, however, received strong backing from the director of the Drug Control Center at London's King's College.

Calling it "the most definitive measure we have at this time," David Cowan added that "if there is a synthetic found [in the sample] than any defense is difficult to prove."

Maroon87
08-05-2006, 09:11 AM
If this was any other event but the TdF I might believe that Landis cheated. But these Frenchies have been trying to bust Armstrong for so long and never got him, whose to say someone wouldn't set Landis up to implicate his ex-teammate Armstrong by association? It all looks very fishy to me. I hate to go "Oliver Stone" but I'm just not buying it right now. How long before a "story" comes out that Landis and Armstrong were supplied by the same doctor? I give it 2 months tops.

And Dick Pound? What a moron. He obviously can't seperate his personal feelings from the job he's been appointed to do. I don't trust him either.

SWMustang
08-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87

And Dick Pound? What a moron.

Hey! I loved Dick Pound in "Saving Ryan's Privates." Great Actor...

District303aPastPlayer
08-05-2006, 04:50 PM
i find it weird how only these two samples tested positive, but he took a test every other day of the TdF and all tested negative...

big daddy russ
08-05-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
And Dick Pound? What a moron. He obviously can't seperate his personal feelings from the job he's been appointed to do. I don't trust him either.
What a name.