PDA

View Full Version : Port Isabel Vs Rice Altair - Flashback

footballgal
08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Such a feel good article, that I had to bring it back to share one more time.

http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/Jason_McDaniel.jpg

Tarpons, Raiders better than the movies

Oliver Stone couldn’t have written a better football script.

Ron Howard couldn’t come close to producing a more convincing Alamo battle scene.

What transpired Saturday afternoon between the Tarpons and Raiders in San Antonio was simply the most impressive display of everything beautiful about football, and sports in general, I’ve ever seen.

In fact, thinking back on that four-overtime, almost four-hour long, 63-61 Port Isabel victory, has me a little upset.

I mean, who do these Tarpons think they are? With my journalistic career still young, I’ve already witnessed the most spectacular game I’ll ever see.

I’m ruined!

But seriously, this game had it all – passion to prevail, players giving everything they have inside, emotions of every kind and highlight reel action play-after-play-after-play. The list could go on longer than the James Bond franchise.

My first reaction after the game was to think this has to be the climax of PI’s season – a win can’t get any bigger than this can it?

This game was the San Antonio Spurs vs. the L.A. Lakers in a Western Conference Finals showdown that should have been for the NBA Championship.

Which quickly reminds me that one thing would be bigger — a state championship game. But taken as a singular example of football at its finest — a game just doesn’t get any better.

Look at the numbers: Rice racked up 500 total yards — Port Isabel responded with 588.

Rice notched nine touchdowns, three extra points, one two-point conversion and a safety. Port Isabel answered with nine touchdowns, seven extra points and one crucial overtime two-point conversion from Gabriel Alvarez to — Frankie Herrera?

Johnny ‘Nitro’ Nieto, held scoreless in regulation, dug deep within himself and came up with three of the Tarpons’ four overtime TDs.

Rice took the lead six times – Port Isabel took it back six times, and a gang of Tarpons tacklers made sure they kept it in the end.

And all this just six days after they piled up 579 total yards of offense against another tough team in Liberty Hill.

All I heard before I ventured into the Valley for the first time this summer, was teams there don’t have the size and talent to keep up.

Then I get here, and see the Porter Cowboys — their historical run and their very talented quarterback Billy Garza, who is now considering a career at the University of Illinois.

I see the Rivera Raiders and St. Joseph Academy Bloodhounds, teams loaded with youth and lacking in preseason expectations, make valiant forays into the playoffs.

And I see the Tarpons on their thrilling postseason tear. And one thing I can definitely say about Valley football — it’s played with heart the size of Texas.

As I was driving home late Saturday night from San Antonio, trying to put what I had just seen in perspective, I saw a shooting star flash across the night sky above me.

No really – I did. And it got me thinking.

That star was only visible for a second, maybe two. But it was a brilliant spectacle, and there is no denying the power contained inside that brief moment.

Saturday’s colossal clash between Port Isabel and Rice was like that.

It was an amazing sight to behold; packed with more compelling storylines and drama than anything Hollywood could dream up. However, in comparison to the span of the players lives’ involved in that game, it was really only a small, fleeting moment.

But there is no denying the lasting power and impact that participating in that game will have on the lives of all 70 players listed on the game day roster.

Because it was truly a defining moment.

Jason McDaniel covers football for the Herald and can be reached at 982-6621 or jmcdaniel@link.freedom.com.

Posted on Dec 11, 03 | 12:05 am

Bull Butter
08-04-2006, 11:06 PM
The single greatest football game I've ever witnessed.

footballgal
08-04-2006, 11:10 PM
One of two for me; but I think this edged the 1994 Upset of PI over #1 ranked Cuero Gobblers.:)

shankbear
08-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Just gotta love those Tarps. My father-in-law grew up there and played every sport. His sisters still live there. He is in Orange now. A displaced Tarp.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Bellville vs Marlin 3 over-times, was also a good game played in Bryan. Bellville won.

Bull Butter
08-04-2006, 11:15 PM
The PI-Cuero 1994 game was a classic as well. But I'd have to give an edge to the PI-Rice game because of the 4 Overtimes

footballgal
08-04-2006, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
Bellville vs Marlin 3 over-times, was also a good game played in Bryan. Bellville won.
What year was that?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
08-04-2006, 11:30 PM

footballgal
08-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Oh wow, same year I wonder if it was the same week?:eek:

bjrod9
08-04-2006, 11:41 PM
this game was very very exciting, i was sitting on the rice Cons. side of the stadium and cheering for both teams, i didnt want the game to end, but it was just a great thing to witness.

District303aPastPlayer
08-05-2006, 01:47 AM
does this mean i can expect my DVD soon... i gave you my address two years ago :(

tigerpride_08
08-05-2006, 10:52 AM
i think the greatest game i've witnessed was our 56-55 lost against cuero in cuero in 2004...i think we shocked alot of people it was that close...

maestro
08-05-2006, 11:22 AM
and to think....

there used to be no overtime periods.......settled by stats.....

LHMom
08-05-2006, 01:36 PM
This is a 3ADL flashback for me, footballgal. PI beat us the week before; I had 2 boys on the team that year. The loss against PI was the final game of my oldest son's high school career. Anyway - we had our entire family, and a few other from the team gathered around what was at the time the only computer in our house. We were "refreshing" every few seconds watching the updates on 3ADL as the game go back & forth. I imagine it was great to see in person!

With all that said.... excluding the final score, the LH/Jasper semi-finals game in '04 was the best game I ever watched.

44INAROW
08-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Gobbler Grad and his wife were at the PI/RC came and calling with updates. Everytime he'd call, we couldn't believe the other team had answered to the other teams scores. It must have been a something to witness in person.

CheerMom
08-05-2006, 04:42 PM
This was the most incredible, nerve wracking, and bittersweet game that I have ever witnessed.

footballgal
08-05-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
does this mean i can expect my DVD soon... i gave you my address two years ago :(
lol :D it wasn't two years ago it was last year. I have a problem making copies, that's why I never sent it to you and a Rice Player named Jenkins. They tell me that disk is bad and that's why I can't get any copies from it :confused: I really don't understand why, because I can view it just fine. If your willing to try making copies for me, I will send it to you, as long as you promise me (in front of all these witnesses, that you will send it back to me. ;)) Or, I can send it and you can sent back. Let me know, you can PM me.

I just hate to loose it, because when they got it done for me, they included the following;
1 -PI Tarpons 2002 season highlights (Bandera game)
2- PI vs Brahams 2004
3- PI vs Ingleside 2004
4 - PI vs Liberty Hill 2003
5- PI vs Rice Consolidated

District303aPastPlayer
08-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
lol :D it wasn't two years ago it was last year. I have a problem making copies, that's why I never sent it to you and a Rice Player named Jenkins. They tell me that disk is bad and that's why I can't get any copies from it :confused: I really don't understand why, because I can view it just fine. If your willing to try making copies for me, I will send it to you, as long as you promise me (in front of all these witnesses, that you will send it back to me. ;)) Or, I can send it and you can sent back. Let me know, you can PM me.

I just hate to loose it, because when they got it done for me, they included the following;
1 -PI Tarpons 2002 season highlights (Bandera game)
2- PI vs Brahams 2004
3- PI vs Ingleside 2004
4 - PI vs Liberty Hill 2003
5- PI vs Rice Consolidated

i would try to make copies, and im sure i know a person or two who knows a thing or two about a thing or two... but yes... i would send it back to you :)

footballgal
08-05-2006, 05:18 PM
OK - I will sent it to you Fed-Ex Monday. You should get it Tuesday.

PM your Address Again please.

footballgal
08-07-2006, 08:43 AM
District303aPastPlayer

Your Box is FULL.

footballgal
08-07-2006, 02:14 PM
District303aPastPlayer

Sorry to say but It won't be until next week, as something came up ... I will PM you, as long as your box is not full.