PDA

View Full Version : 2001 District 32-AAA Champs Rio Hondo ?

Big Tarp 74
09-04-2002, 07:51 PM
I would like to know how the media determined Rio Hondo was 2001 32-AAA District Champs. When did this happen! Does UIL know this! We must of played the wrong team last year! Quick someone call the UIL!

TarponR13K
09-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Rio Hondo and La Feria are just naturally given more publicity and credit because of the newspaper publications. If something is published in Harlingen, you're going to hear about La Feria and not PI, no matter who does better.
The title of Co-Champs is just overlooked because a lot of people figure that both are Champs, simply sharing the title, and it's just easier and obviously looks better to say Champs as opposed to Co Champs.
Besides, most of the things that are put in the paper, especially pre-season or so early in the season are submitted by the school so there's no reason to have a fit about it. Just make sure everyone is there at the game on September 27 to see the real truth behind all that publicity.

That's just my view on the whole thing :\

TarponFanInNorthTexas
09-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Well said R13!!!

TarponR13K
09-06-2002, 11:58 PM
heh...well that's just the way I see it. But it seems Missile started the exact same post a day later than this one... http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/tongue.gif
But he said it on rgvsports as well a while back so...yeah whatever. GOOD LUCK

TarponR13K
09-07-2002, 12:42 AM
?

Big Tarp 74
09-07-2002, 01:39 PM
I would like to know when was the last time, the media, and I mean any of them, have written a good story about the Tarpons? No matter what, it will be someone else such as La Feria, Rio Hondo or Lyford. Just take last year for example: Port Isabel was faced to deal with it players being bitten by brown recluse spiders. This right at the start of the season. Then we were all hit by the September 11, issue. Then the bridge accident. Many of these ball players families were affected by the closure of business on South Padre Island. Does anyone think it was ease for the coaches to hold this team together or hold the players together? They could not compete against PSJA Memorial, because kids were out due to spider bites. The next week, the same problem, but we managed to win. Then after the game, the bridge is knocked out. What is amazing is nothing was every said. How this team managed to stay together, and finish the season out was something. Not only finish the season, but finished on top of their district. This does not only show disrespect for what happen to them, but also show that no one cares. I have watched this issue with the media since the late 1970's, and enough is enough. If no one starts speaking out, this trend will continue. Like I said, can any of these teams in district 32-AAA, really say that Port Isabel did not earn that title, or respect. What erks me more, is the media did not even take the players or families feeling into consider after what all they went through. It is very sad that the Valley Media could not see this, and in my opinion, was cruel, rude, disrespectful, and some of the sorriest news reporting on Port Isabel I have ever seen. When the season ended last year, they never wrote a story about what they had to endure. The fans of Port Isabel, are very proud people, and would not speak out on this issue, but once again the media crushes and attempts to bring down a good football program, just when we are trying to bring it back. For give me for venting my frustrations, but I will no longer let the media publish stuff like this junk, with out responding.

Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Well said R13!!!

[This message has been edited by Big Tarp 74 (edited September 07, 2002).]

Wunderkindepiphany
09-08-2002, 12:10 AM
man, PI is getting beat up in their preseason!!!
But hey, i guess Itll pay off some district. Good luck against LF for the battle of Hwy100, yall tarpons will most definetly need it. Good luck in future games, peace.

TarponR13K
09-08-2002, 12:51 AM
Hey BigTarp, everyone in PI knows about everything the kids had to go through. Everyone went through it. Football players getting hurt, losing the bridge, band kids having to take the ferry home to the island after 7-9 evening practices, not getting home until who knows what hour of the night/morning and having to be back on the ferry to be back for morning practice at 7:30. Trust me, we all know how it was, we had band directors with pillows sleeping in the back room after having to go on the ferry with those kids....and i know everyone was worked to the bone to get where we got after all the crap we went through last year.I'm sorry to speak of band so much but I'm pretty sure people on here are a little more mature and understand that I'm only using that because I went through all the problems last year and saw it not from a football player's point of view but I can empathize through what the band went through. I know it wasn't any less for the team.
Then on top of that, PI lost a very valuable coach and that hurt everyone. I know the players may have felt it the most but band kids that were involved in sports or very close to him were out that week right before our contest but we got it all worked out and still came out on top. (Wunder, don't start your crap, it's not a bad band comparison)
We all know what happened and how it affected everyone and how PI worked to come out on top and yet....we were ignored by the media.
We know Port Isabel had the heart to get through all that and really, to me, that's all that matters. All of our fans know it and if the other teams or the rest of the valley don't, that really doesn't bother me. If we know we put up with all that and still showed up the rest of the valley then Hey- what's there to be upset about?
No matter what happens, we manage to get through it and that's thanks to the kids and their dedication and to all the coahces, directors and sponsors. I'm not only talking about football....or band, I'm talking about everyone in PI. The media wasn't only ignoring the football team, they were ignoring our entire town.
I just wanna thank all the coaches for helping the players get through it and help them come out on top of the district- think of what you can do this year.

you're right though, the media was wrong for ignoring us so much but that's just the way it works here, we're so out of the loop yet we usually are the ones that others have to look out for and try harder to beat. Doesn't make sense, does it? Maybe you should just write an editorial...that's the only way you can really get your point across. On here all thats gonna happen is you're gonna have a bunch of Tarpons agreeing with you. Try it, it may help out the town.

God Job tonight, guys. You'll get it next time.

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 08, 2002).]

TarponR13K
09-08-2002, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Wunderkindepiphany:
But hey, i guess Itll pay off some district. Good luck against LF for the battle of Hwy100, yall tarpons will most definetly need it. Good luck in future games, peace.

chill out, they're not doing that horrible. From what I saw tonight (which wasnt too much since i had my back turned most of the time conducting the band http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/mad.gif )they put up a good fight and....they seemed to just be getting tired. They'll build up their endurance and be fine. Besides, PSJA's playing pretty darn well. Once we get Eye of the Tiger fixed up then....we'll be sure to pump em up a little more. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif we're there to support them and entertain the crowd...who...cant even hear us cuz we're way at the end but anyway...yeah, LF is doing very...VERY well so as far as the definitely needing the good luck..I agree. good luck!

Bull Butter
09-08-2002, 02:37 AM

If I remember correctly, PI got beat up last year early in the season and ended up District Champions and had a playoff game on Thanksgiving weekend. Los Fresnos breezed through non-district and stayed home from the playoffs. Their pads already had dust on them by the time Turkey Day rolled around.

footballgal
09-08-2002, 10:49 AM
I had this whole big "write up" last night at 11:30, my computer just froze I don't know what is happening to it, that's the 2nd time this week. I was too tired to write it all over again,so I just went to bed.

PSJA didn't nothing spectacular, they just did what they had to do when they needed to do it, no disrespect to them but they were very beatable, but last night they were the better team. PI on the other hand way too many mistakes, and no adjustments were made. Our QB is a superb athelete; but is not being used in the right position. He is very fast he would be better used as a tailback. He had the lone TD, which he did himself by RUNNING the ball twice for the score. Coach needs to take a look at Herrera and Ochoa the sophomore quarterbacks who are alot taller than Gabriel Alvarez; Poor Gabriel can't even see over his own line. Again I give the edge to Frankie Herrera, as I have seen him at the last scrimmage and he was very poised and is a leader. I know he lead in tackles last night, cuz I kept seeing him making alot of tackles. I know either one Ochoa or Herrera will make their mistakes being so young too, but since the program is young too why not let them grow with it??
Secondary, sorry my beloved Tarpons, I have to agree with Big Tarp on what he had mentioned previously and say no adjustment are being made and you ARE playing too far back your giving them too much of a cusion. I know you'll defintely have speed, but I don't care how fast you are, that's just too much ground to cover without getting beat. You can't do that against Los Fresnos as all they do is pass, if no adjustments are made we will get blown out of the water. On the flip side of the coin, you can make them have a total nightmare, if you make the necessary adjusments starting the next game. Because I can guarentee you that with what the Falfurias scouts saw they are going to pass against us!
But this was our first game so hopefully it was first game jitters for all of the young ones, but I hope we can grow up fast, and also these coaches realize they do need to coach them for that same reason, there is way too much talent in this group of kids for it to be wasted that way, even this year.
I saw some great sparks but only for them to be overshined by some big mistakes.
One thing I could not understand we are doing well in the RUNNING then the coach insists on passing the ball which 98% of the time they ended up as drive killers as we had atleast had like 2 or 3 opportunities to score but got killed by easy interceptions.

Anyhow I can go on and on and over analyze the game but what would be the point?

Tarpons lets move on and let's get going like I KNOW you are capable of doing!!

***LUV YA BLUE!! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Oh by the way the score was 20-0 at the half, they scored like twice in like the last 4 or 5 minutes before the half ended.
Final score was 33-7.

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited September 08, 2002).]

footballgal
09-08-2002, 10:57 AM

Don't worry about us, well be fine at the end. Worry about your own team, as you will have a heck of a fight in your district; Harlingen South, Edcouch Elsa, Sharyland, PSJA Memorial, just right there that would leave you out of the playoffs!

Wunderkindepiphany
09-08-2002, 07:27 PM
my, one comment gets quite a response! I should have known, its a PI crowd...however, Bullbutter's comment is correct, PI DID have a more fruitful season than LF last year. I do not play football with LF, so I cant say personally that they're any better this year at this point, but objectively I have to say that LF is looking quite good right now. TarponR13K, I made no comments about your bad band comparison this time, you should be happy...and footballgal, If I was a betting man Id say that LF would contend for 1st or 2nd in district this year. THE district with the talent in the RGV this year is 32-4A, so it'll be a battle. Anyway, peace all. See the PI community and the MIGHTY PI BAND at Leo Aguilar Stadium for the Battle of HWY 100.

TarponR13K
09-08-2002, 08:54 PM
my, one comment gets quite a response! I should have known, its a PI crowd...however, Bullbutter's comment is correct, PI DID have a more fruitful season than LF last year. I do not play football with LF, so I cant say personally that they're any better this year at this point, but objectively I have to say that LF is looking quite good right now. TarponR13K, I made no comments about your bad band comparison this time, you should be happy...and footballgal, If I was a betting man Id say that LF would contend for 1st or 2nd in district this year. THE district with the talent in the RGV this year is 32-4A, so it'll be a battle. Anyway, peace all. See the PI community and the MIGHTY PI BAND at Leo Aguilar Stadium for the Battle of HWY 100.

I believe both to have been good band comparisons, if you could even call them band comparisons. I thought I got my point across. You're right though...from what I've heard, LF is tearing up the gridiron and I'm sure the battle of hwy100 will be....quite interesting. Maybe too horrible to watch...but we'll see everyone there most definitely anyway! Oh yeah, wunder, are you IN the band?? heh..if ya are, i guess i'll see ya there. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif Are you? I don't remember you telling me that but...if you are then I'll meet ya probably 4th quarter...HA. And if you're not then you'll see me go over there anyway...have to...the whole...going from one side to the other to meet the other band...drum majors, officers...yeah. OOOKIE.

good luck against falfurias tarpons

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 08, 2002).]

Wunderkindepiphany
09-10-2002, 04:52 PM
Used to be in the band, freshman year...used to play football too, now I just do swimming, baseball...I made the switch to Hanna (very ghetto-ass school) recently 'cause I have a scholarship for music to UT and the Choir program at LF has been cut along with many other programs due to tax funding problems. But, all of my friends play football, and I will be at the LF games this year. I am a Falcon at heart! And honestly, I have no static against the PI band or you, just like teasing ya. I used to be very involved in band, and support them (to an extent). See ya at the LF/PI game, its gon' get uuugly!
-Wunder.

TarponR13K
09-10-2002, 05:31 PM
Used to be in the band, freshman year...used to play football too, now I just do swimming, baseball...I made the switch to Hanna (very ghetto-ass school) recently 'cause I have a scholarship for music to UT and the Choir program at LF has been cut along with many other programs due to tax funding problems. But, all of my friends play football, and I will be at the LF games this year. I am a Falcon at heart! And honestly, I have no static against the PI band or you, just like teasing ya. I used to be very involved in band, and support them (to an extent). See ya at the LF/PI game, its gon' get uuugly!
-Wunder.

Oh ok. Pace??? PACE IS GHETTO! Sorry, Ive thought that about Pace for quite a while now anyway, I know, you told me when we were chattin one time that you just like to tease. No biggie.
tax funding problems, that sucks.
Yeah, the game IS going to get ugly...and I have a feeling very emotional. Anyway, I guess I'll see you at the game...well, you'll see me at least. I'll be the one with the LF asst drum major sayin to the rest of the LF band "This is Kristen, she's a junior, plays clarinet and she's a Drum Major, WOOO" Yeah, it's so gay. You should go over to our side and cheer for us n shizit...I have a very strong....ok i just KNOW we're going to need it. No offense to the team but...falcons are doing pretty well. falcon at heart. Ha! I can't even build it up to say I'm a Tarpon at heart...don't know why, just can't do it.