PDA

View Full Version : Mavs sign Pops Mensah-Bonsu; Podkolzin gone?

kepdawg
08-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Knee-jerk reaction may have brought Mavs a forward

07:53 PM CDT on Thursday, August 3, 2006

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Things may have been vastly different for new Mavericks forward Pops Mensah-Bonsu had he not twisted a knee late last season after leading George Washington into the top 10.

Instead, the Colonials were eliminated by Duke in the second round of the NCAA Tournament and Mensah-Bonsu was undrafted.

The Mavericks, intrigued by Mensah-Bonsu's athleticism and performance in two summer leagues, signed him to a two-year contract Thursday. Only the first year is guaranteed.

"Guys with his athleticism and competitive mind-set don't go undrafted," president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "He was the most athletic 4 [power forward] I saw this summer outside of Amare Stoudemire."

Mensah-Bonsu (6-9, 240) possesses a 38-inch vertical jump and has been playing organized basketball for only six years. He averaged 12.6 points and 6.7 rebounds as a senior for George Washington and about eight points and five rebounds in the Las Vegas and Salt Lake City summer leagues.

"It's a blessing," Mensah-Bonsu, 22, said. "I've been working for this since I've been playing basketball. To make it official is hard to believe. It's a dream come true."

While the Mavericks gained one big man, they may soon lose another.

The team is contemplating a buyout for 7-5 Pavel Podkolzin, who has one year remaining on his contract.

As a third-year player, Podkolzin cannot be sent to the developmental league. And the Mavericks have a logjam for playing time at center.

With the buyout, Podkolzin, 21, could play significant minutes in Europe and continue to develop.

E-mail ccarlton@dallasnews.com

Emerson1
08-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I think I could beat pavel in 1 on 1

kepdawg
08-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I think I could beat pavel in 1 on 1

I wouldn't know because I don't think I've ever seen him play!