PDA

View Full Version : A/C is out

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 07:10 PM
Thursdays are not my favorite day anyway, because that's the day I go to the office. When I left the office, I called the boys to see if there was anything we needed from HEB. Standard stuff...milk, bread, tortillas, blah, blah, blah.

About 5 minutes later, one of them called back and said he thought the air conditioner was out. He said it was 110 on the front porch and 87 in the house. :mad: It's now 89. :mad:

The part that really chaps me is that apparently it was acting up in the middle of the night a few nights ago and my husband KNEW it was acting up. He fiddled with it and decided it was good to go. :mad: :mad:

GetRDoneStangs
08-03-2006, 07:12 PM
Mabe a good time to "camp out" in the back yard???

Ranger Mom
08-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Thursdays are not my favorite day anyway, because that's the day I go to the office. When I left the office, I called the boys to see if there was anything we needed from HEB. Standard stuff...milk, bread, tortillas, blah, blah, blah.

About 5 minutes later, one of them called back and said he thought the air conditioner was out. He said it was 110 on the front porch and 87 in the house. :mad: It's now 89. :mad:

The part that really chaps me is that apparently it was acting up in the middle of the night a few nights ago and my husband KNEW it was acting up. He fiddled with it and decided it was good to go. :mad: :mad:

UH OH!!!!

I feel for you, my A/C was out for a week last summer.

We got rain again today....it is a cool 77° here right now!!!

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
it is a cool 77° here right now!!!
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Ranger Mom
08-03-2006, 07:18 PM
:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

:eek: :eek: I said I felt for you!!:(

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 07:20 PM
:eek: :eek: I said I felt for you!!:(
I know. I'm just jealous. :D

GetRDoneStangs
08-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I will take the other half of the quote...

We got rain again today....

Well.....http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-045.gif

Ranger Mom
08-03-2006, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs

Well.....http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/mittelgrosse/medium-smiley-045.gif

Yep...that's kinda what it looked like!!

LHMom
08-03-2006, 07:27 PM
We replaced our unit last summer, LHPM. It was a very long 4 days without A/C.

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 07:27 PM
Yep...that's kinda what it looked like!!
That's kinda what I look like, but it's sweat, not tears. :(

Gp83
08-03-2006, 08:06 PM
That's kinda what I look like, but it's sweat, not tears. :(

I'm in the A/C business...PM me if you need any help with questions.

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
I'm in the A/C business...PM me if you need any help with questions.
Well, LHPD doesn't believe I know what I'm talking about. I heard several years ago about fire ants getting on A/C contacts and causing it to stop kicking on. Sometime not long after, he was in California on business and the stupid thing went out. :rolleyes: I went out and looked at the unit....lots of leaves and stuff, so I washed those away. Then (putting on my HVAC hat) I flipped the thermostat on & off a number of times. For some reason, it started working and I "decided" that the contacts being switched on & off lots of times must've burned the fire ants up. :D :nerd:

Did the same thing today and it started working. It's now down to 88 and slowly cooling. :thinking: I'm sure it needs freon....which he said to me days ago. But did he call the guy?

If it acts up again, I may holler. And, THANKS! :)

AggieJohn
08-03-2006, 08:49 PM
sorry, it's a 100% humid around here in corpus

44INAROW
08-03-2006, 09:16 PM
I feel for you Deb - hope they get it fixed ASAP :)

shankbear
08-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Electric bill won't be as high. The glass is half full or empty or broken and leaking or it has been stolen. OMG it is so freeeekin hot that I am losing my mind.

Gp83
08-03-2006, 09:26 PM
Well, LHPD doesn't believe I know what I'm talking about. I heard several years ago about fire ants getting on A/C contacts and causing it to stop kicking on. Sometime not long after, he was in California on business and the stupid thing went out. :rolleyes: I went out and looked at the unit....lots of leaves and stuff, so I washed those away. Then (putting on my HVAC hat) I flipped the thermostat on & off a number of times. For some reason, it started working and I "decided" that the contacts being switched on & off lots of times must've burned the fire ants up. :D :nerd:

Did the same thing today and it started working. It's now down to 88 and slowly cooling. :thinking: I'm sure it needs freon....which he said to me days ago. But did he call the guy?

If it acts up again, I may holler. And, THANKS! :)

The only reason it would need freon is if your A coil was leaking. Sounds like you have a bad contact. It's a good idea, especially those near the gulf to spray your outside condencer once every 3 months real good.

rockdale80
08-03-2006, 09:28 PM
put moth balls inside where the contacts are. keeps insects away. and yes ants will burn up your contacts.

pirate4state
08-03-2006, 10:04 PM

Ok, you win today!!! Sorry about the A/C!

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Gp83
The only reason it would need freon is if your A coil was leaking. Sounds like you have a bad contact. It's a good idea, especially those near the gulf to spray your outside condencer once every 3 months real good.
:kiss: :kiss: Thanks tons!

Tx Challenge
08-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Deb,

Even though I live in Georgetown. LH has more A/C guys than any city around here. My wife and I have a thermostat from h*ll that has given us problems all year. Is has a mind of its own.

Call one of those local co and I am sure they will fix you up! Dont tell them you know me though, they may run if they have been to my house!

LH Panther Mom
08-03-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks, TxC! I'll be sure not to mention you. ;) The last guy we had out was a LH one and he was good and gave us a coupon to use same day. :)

Tx Challenge
08-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Honestly, they dont want to hear my name! A/C works great. It just decides what temp the house should be! No one has figured this one out. Fortunately we have 3 units so we can move to wherever we need to at the time. Good Luck

luvhoops34
08-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I feel for you having your a/c out. We went thru the same thing while we were working in Laredo of all places. Laredo is one of the hottest places on the planet. The back a/c unit worked, but it couldn't keep the trailer cool during the day. It was fine at night, but I almost croaked in the daytime. Talk about being irritable, well I was....Took a week to get the part. A week of hell.
We had the celing fan on and you couldn't tell squat. We bought a small fan, put it in the kitchen floor and set a big bowl of water in front of it. I was ready to try anything. I also took cold showers. I sure don't have any fond memories of working in that God forsaken place.

espn1
08-04-2006, 01:01 AM
Man! I'm glad my son's in the AC Biz.

CHS_CG
08-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Ok, you win today!!!

yeah we had a pretty ok day yesterdayl...

btw did you get those copies done

sorry LHPM.... the first summer we lived in the house we have now all we had were fans and window units bc the people didnt have central air and heat in the house... THAT DIDNT LAST LONG! we got that sucker put in ASAP!

CenTexSports
08-04-2006, 10:14 AM
My office A/C went out Monday. It has been 95 in here in the afternoon. It won't get fixed until next Tuesday. I might as well be at the golf course.

SintonFan
08-04-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
My office A/C went out Monday. It has been 95 in here in the afternoon. It won't get fixed until next Tuesday. I might as well be at the golf course.
Dude that sucks!
Is it fixed yet LHPM?:)

LH Panther Mom
08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
.Is it fixed yet LHPM?:)
Well, yes and not sure. It started working shortly my original post (and after the water/fire ant "in my mind" solution). A/C guy is supposed to be here sometime today. Hopefully he'll have decent news and not "it's shot" news.

SintonFan
08-04-2006, 12:47 PM
Well, yes and not sure. It started working shortly my original post (and after the water/fire ant "in my mind" solution). A/C guy is supposed to be here sometime today. Hopefully he'll have decent news and not "it's shot" news.
Get a second opinion if someone tells you "it's shot".
Our A/C is about twenty years old and alomost every HVAC person who has looked at it tells us to run it until it stops. It seems these old Trane units like mine are very well engineered and very efficient, too. We replaced my points on it a few months ago and cleaned the inside unit and it runs like a top now.

luvhoops34
08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Get a second opinion if someone tells you "it's shot".
Our A/C is about twenty years old and alomost every HVAC person who has looked at it tells us to run it until it stops. It seems these old Trane units like mine are very well engineered and very efficient, too. We replaced my points on it a few months ago and cleaned the inside unit and it runs like a top now.

I was told by an a/c guy to expect the unit to last about 10 years. Well it's been fifteen. I too, have a Trane, with a heat pump. I've had to have the a/c guy out one time and some little wire had come undone. Cost me about $35. Keeping my fingers crossed everyday that it keeps on working.

Gp83
08-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
I was told by an a/c guy to expect the unit to last about 10 years. Well it's been fifteen. I too, have a Trane, with a heat pump. I've had to have the a/c guy out one time and some little wire had come undone. Cost me about $35. Keeping my fingers crossed everyday that it keeps on working.

An A/C unit should last mininum 10 years (About 8 on the Gulf waters) and can last up to about 15 years. Any longer and you're on barrowed time. Average life expectancy is 12 years.

LH Panther Mom
08-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Well, the a/c guy came yesterday and had good news and bad news. The good news - the compressor is running like it should; the bad news - the bearings on the fan are very worn, causing the fan to run hotter than it should and occasionally freezing up. Replacement fan - $250-$300; new outside unit - $1800-$2000. We opted for the fan. It should be in Monday and he'll come install. If the fan buys us a few more years, it will definitely be worth it.

Gp83
08-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Well, the a/c guy came yesterday and had good news and bad news. The good news - the compressor is running like it should; the bad news - the bearings on the fan are very worn, causing the fan to run hotter than it should and occasionally freezing up. Replacement fan - $250-$300; new outside unit - $1800-$2000. We opted for the fan. It should be in Monday and he'll come install. If the fan buys us a few more years, it will definitely be worth it.

Cool deal;)

SintonFan
08-06-2006, 10:56 PM
lol
Next time just buy the fan yourself and have hubby replace it. I did this recently and I was out-of-pocket only $120.:)