PDA

View Full Version : A good cause for CC area folks...

Maroon87
08-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Breakfast to benefit teen battling cancer
Beveridge starred on King baseball and football teams

By staff report
August 3, 2006

A breakfast to benefit King High School’s Matt Beveridge will be held Saturday from 8-11 a.m. at Salinas Pavillon at 5525 Alamedia.

Beveridge, who will be a senior this year, is battling cancer. Tickets are $5 per plate for the all-you-can-eat meal.

Tickets are available at the Fellowship of Oso Creek on 7204 Yorktown or at the door. For more information or to help, call Brenda Ramirez at 779-0502 or Evonne Gomez at 728-4178.

44INAROW
08-03-2006, 03:56 PM
BReakfast is a good idea. I hope they raise alot of money!

CalallenWildcat
08-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Beveridge faces new foe: cancer
King athlete says he'll beat disease, return to diamond

By Stuart Duncan Caller-Times
August 4, 2006

As a quarterback at King High School, Matt Beveridge knows all about punishment.

That's why he can stare down his recent diagnosis of a rare form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma and his current chemotherapy treatments without blinking.

Beveridge - who also is a star outfielder at King, hitting .482 as a junior last season - was diagnosed with lymphoma July 24 and is currently being treated at Houston's MD Anderson Hospital. Last week, the 17-year-old went through a six-day, non-stop chemotherapy treatment for a tumor he had on his neck and another under his right arm and he's going through a stronger treatment this week.

"I've never gotten sick, I still eat three big meals a day and I still have all of my hair," Beveridge said. "I've taken harder hits than this from linebackers, and if I can get up from those - I can get up from anything."

Still, the anaplastic large T-cell lymphoma, a form of cancer, that has invaded Beveridge's body is gravely serious.

"The doctor said that 52-65 percent (of the people that have this type of lymphoma) survive five years," Matt's mom, Laurie Beveridge said. "We're not real happy about the success rate - that's not a lot of positive encouragement."

That's where Matt comes in.

Armed with his "strong" Christian faith and countless family and friends in his corner, Beveridge has vowed to beat the lymphoma.

"It is not about survival rates for me, it's: How long is it going to take to get past this and be healthy again?," Matt Beveridge said. "I know God still wants me to do something (after overcoming the lymphoma), so I don't have anything to worry about."

"Matt has so much faith," Laurie added. "He told me that, 'God has a plan for my life. God's going to use me to do some things through this.' His faith has helped him get through this and he's really gotten us through it so far."

As a show of support, Beveridge's church had a fundraiser for him, and his family is having a waffle breakfast Saturday morning.

"It has been a really great thing," Matt said of the support that he has received. "Knowing that I'm going to be up in Houston for the next two months (for chemotherapy treatments and to be monitored by hospital staff), I'm already homesick. Yet, seeing all of these people here that I've grown up with - it's been so great. People are driving three and a half hours up here just to spend time with me."

Beveridge said the doctor told him he can still work out as long as he doesn't feel fatigued and he plans to be back in the swing of things before the upcoming baseball seasons begins.

"(Baseball season) is still a long way away and I know that I'm going to do everything possible to make sure I play baseball again - I can't wait," Beveridge said. "You can bet that I'm not going to miss my senior year. My goal is to be working out with the team by November or December and be back in school for the second semester. I'm planning on making that big Lance Armstrong (type of) comeback."

Waffle breakfast

What: Waffle breakfast benefit to aid Matt Beveridge

When: 8-11 a.m. Saturday

Where: at Salinas Pavilion, 5525 S. Alemeda

Cost: $5

Other donations can be mailed:

In Care of Matt Beveridge Fund

Fellowship of Oso Creek

7402 Yorktown Blvd.

Corpus Christi, TX 78418

Keeping up with Matt

Matt Beveridge has a blog he updates almost daily to let his friends know how he's doing in Houston. To keep up with Matt, check out HYPERLINK http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mattbeveridge www.caringbridge.org/visit/mattbeveridge

Contact Stuart Duncan at 886-3796 or HYPERLINK mailto:duncans@caller.com duncans@caller.com
http://www.caller.com/ccct/local_sports/article/0,1641,CCCT_878_4893790,00.html