PDA

View Full Version : Texas war with Oklahoma

pirate44
08-03-2006, 07:05 AM
this is one entry in the "This Week in Texas History" section of savetexashistory.org
this is a cool site with interesting stoires of Texas. they also sale copies of historic maps and photos.

July 2006 – Week 1 Air Date: July 2 – July 8, 2006 (Sunday – Saturday)

TITLE: TEXAS AT WAR WITH OKLAHOMA?
JULY 1943 AND TEXAS ATTACKS . . . OKLAHOMA?
THIS WEEK IN TEXAS HISTORY, BROUGHT TO YOU BY THIS STATION AND THE SAVE TEXAS HISTORY PROGRAM OF THE GENERAL LAND OFFICE.

JULY 5, 1943. DALHART. DALHART ARMY AIR FIELD IS A TRAINING GROUND FOR U.S. BOMBER CREWS. DURING ONE MIDNIGHT PRACTICE RUN, ONE B-17 STRAYS OFF TARGET. JUST AFTER MIDNIGHT, THE B-17 DROPS ITS LOAD NOT ON THE RANGE BUT ON DOWNTOWN BOISE CITY OKLAHOMA! SIX 100-POUND DUMMY BOMBS FELL WITHIN FEET OF THE COURTHOUSE, DAMAGED SOME HOMES AND LEFT A THREE FOOT CRATER. BACK AT THE BASE, THE BOYS BEGAN TO SAY - REMEMBER THE ALAMO, REMEMBER PEARL HARBOR AND FOR GOD’S SAKE REMEMBER BOISE CITY! BOISE CITY REMAINS THE ONLY U.S. CITY TO BE BOMBED DURING THE WAR. TEXAS BOMBED OKLAHOMA 63 YEARS AGO THIS WEEK IN TEXAS HISTORY. LEARN MORE AT SAVETEXASHISTORY.ORG OR CALL 800-998-4GLO. Save Texas History Program 1-800-998-4GLO | www.savetexashistory.org Texas General Land Office | Communications Division | 512-475-1685

CalallenWildcat
08-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Haha, I've been to Boise City Oklahoma, and it's not worth being bombed.

spiveyrat
08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
Within the last two weeks, a Kansas lake was "bombed" with dummy cement bombs by a B-52 from Barksdale AFB in Shreveport on it's way to a bombing range (also in Kansas). I don't know what the investigation has revealed, if anything. But it is my opinion that it was not an accident.

lepfan
08-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
Haha, I've been to Boise City Oklahoma, and it's not worth being bombed. That is about 2 hours south of me...no it is not worth being bombed...it probably looks the same as it did 63 years ago. Like I said....in this edge of the country we are 2 miles from water and 2 feet from hell.

lepfan
08-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Within the last two weeks, a Kansas lake was "bombed" with dummy cement bombs by a B-52 from Barksdale AFB in Shreveport on it's way to a bombing range (also in Kansas). I don't know what the investigation has revealed, if anything. But it is my opinion that it was not an accident. Dang...maybe I need to take cover!

DaHop72
08-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
Dang...maybe I need to take cover! Head South, it's safer.:D

spiveyrat
08-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by lepfan
Dang...maybe I need to take cover!

Naa. It was SW of Salina. A loooooooonnnnggggg ways from you!