PDA

View Full Version : Tragedy Strikes Greenwood Again

Green Ranger
01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
Last night there was a car accident on the road from town to Greenwood. One of those who was killed was the brother of student (a cheerleader), she was a junior. The second time this year death has struck the Junior class. I ask for your prayers, especially for the Junior class, but for Greenwood as a whole in the next couple weeks to get through this again would be greatly appreciated.

Bandera YaYa
01-31-2004, 10:35 PM
I hate seeing these topics....I don't want to open them, it keeps happening too much....I have teens and it scares me to death. I have to put them in the Lord's hands each time I see them leave.

May God comfort his family and friends. What is there to say that helps? I'm really very, very sorry to hear this. Gof Bless.

wildstangs
02-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Prayers from Sweetwater. I didnt quite understand your post, How old was the person and how many were involved?

Wildcat81
02-01-2004, 01:36 AM
my prayer go out to Greenwood.

Ranger Mom
02-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Green Ranger,
I am also confused!! I have heard many different stories. (It happened right down from my house, so me and my husband were on the scene).

It involved 2 vehicles. A van carrying a woman and her 11 yr. old child and another 11 year old child. The truck had 3 people in it.

From what I have heard and what the news said, a passenger in the truck died (43 yr. old man from Midland) and the woman in the van died (36 yr. old single mother from Greenwood).

I think there was some confusion initially saying the driver of both vehicles died. From what I understand the driver was the COUSIN (19) of the junior you were speaking about, and I believe he was injured, and the paper this morning says he is in serious condition.

This information came from the "Juniors" dad who works with my husband.

I still don't know who the girl in the accident was (she is in critical condition with head injuries). The news said her name, but I didn't recognize it, the paper said she is from San Angelo and is 24.

From what I have heard, both children in the van suffered bumbs and bruises but will recover. (The people in the van were wearing seat belts, haven't heard about the people in the truck).

Either way, 2 people are dead in a senseless accident. This road is far from safe, but this was an avoidable accident.

BUCKLE UP AND DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!!!!

<small>[ February 01, 2004, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Green Ranger
02-01-2004, 12:24 PM
Here is the story from todays (Sunday's) paper. I do apologize, the information I gave out was partially long. One of the young men who is still in critical condition is the brother of a junior cheerleader. Prayers for his return to good health and the rest of those involved would be greatly appreciated. Here is the story:

Two people remained hospitalized Saturday following a wreck in Midland County that left two others dead.

The collision occurred shortly before 9 p.m. Friday at the intersection of FM 307 and South County Road 1110 after a white pickup truck allegedly ran a stop sign and collided with a blue van.

Nicanor Hernandez, 43, of Midland, a passenger of the truck, died at the scene.

The driver of the van, Angela Lester, 36, also of Midland, died en route to Midland Memorial Hospital.

Bryce O'Neil, 19, of Robert Lee, the driver of the truck, remained in serious condition late Saturday at Midland Memorial Hospital, a spokesman there confirmed.

Rachel Warmuskerken, 24 of San Angelo, a passenger in the truck, was listed in critical condition by the hospital.

Two 11-year-old boys, one of them Lester's son, riding in the van were taken to the hospital following the wreck, but authorities said they did not sustain any serious injuries.

Department of Public Safety Trooper Nathan Lann said witnesses told him the white truck was traveling southbound on South County Road 1110.

O'Neil allegedly ran through the four-way stop colliding with the blue van believed to be heading eastbound on FM 307 toward Greenwood, authorities said.

At the scene, the pickup was overturned on the south side of FM 307. The van struck an electric pole causing damage to the utility lines.

Both children were wearing seat belts, and it was unknown whether anyone else involved in the incident was buckled.

This was the second double traffic fatality in Midland County this month.

On Jan. 9, Diane Zamora allegedly ran a red light at the intersection of Front Street and Lamesa Road, killing Ruben Pando Jr., 28, of Monahans and Felipe Ornelas Jr., 20, of Pecos.

dawgdad
02-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Ours prayers go out to friends and family and for a quick recovery to the injured.