PDA

View Full Version : Freddie Fender

shankbear
08-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Has cancer. Old country singer, Wasted Days and Wasted Nights fame. Keep him in your prayers.

Maroon87
08-02-2006, 10:09 PM
I read that this morning. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

footballgal
08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
I just saw it in the local news, that Baldemar Huerta has incurable cancer. :(

FYI - The City of San Benito (RGV) has him on their new water tower.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1398/freddyfendertower0oc.png

Cameron Crazy
08-02-2006, 10:28 PM
Pretty sad will do..

injuredinmelee
08-02-2006, 10:59 PM
On of the GREATS!!!

pirate44
08-03-2006, 05:07 AM
sad news:(

injuredinmelee
08-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
I just saw it in the local news, that Baldemar Huerta has incurable cancer. :(

FYI - The City of San Benito (RGV) has him on their new water tower.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1398/freddyfendertower0oc.png

I used to work with the son of the long time San Benito and Valley area coach. I dont remember the dads first name but his last name was Roberts. His son Terry that I worked with was supposedly a pretty good football player back in the day.

Haunta Yo
08-03-2006, 07:19 AM
Tommy Roberts maybe?
P.I. Tarpons, I think. Son was QB. They lost to Cameron Yoe in the early 80's or late 70's.

Buccaneer
08-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Before the Next Teardrop Falls

Phil C
08-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Tommy Roberts maybe?
P.I. Tarpons, I think. Son was QB. They lost to Cameron Yoe in the early 80's or late 70's.

Coach Tommy Roberts and his brother coached at Freer in the early to mid 1970s and had good success there before going to PI.

Phil C
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I read that this morning. Thoughts and prayers to him and his family.

Mine too. Freddy also starred in the 1979 movie "She Came to the Valley." It has also been called Texas in Flames. It may have been one of the last low budget westerns made that was released in theatres. Freddy played Pancho Villa. It also stared Ronee Blakley as Willy and Dean Stockwell as her husband. Stockwell is famous for being in many movies and tv series since he was a young boy. He was Al in the Quantum leap tv series.
The movie is about a couple that travel from Corpus Christi to Laredo and then to the valley. It wasn't a bad movie and is probably shown on tv sometimes.
Freddy also sings the title song. He appeared on Johnny Carson to promote this movie.

CalallenWildcat
08-03-2006, 09:06 AM
I heard the news of him having cancer on the radio the other day. It is my understanding that he is living in San Benito.

Maroon87
08-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by CalallenWildcat
I heard the news of him having cancer on the radio the other day. It is my understanding that he is living in San Benito.

I think he lives in CC but is originally from SB.

CalallenWildcat
08-03-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I think he lives in CC but is originally from SB.

They said on the radio he was living in San Benito right now.

My guess is that his family moved him down there to take care of him.

footballgal
08-03-2006, 10:45 AM
MOVED to new thread.

Bull Butter
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
According to this morning's CC Caller-Times, Freddy is living in CC. His wife asked that well-wishes be sent by e-mail. They had many unannounced visitors at the house yesterday after the article appeared and Freddy is weak & needs his rest.

luvhoops34
08-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Didn't Freddy Fender have a house on FM 624 in the Calallen area?

CalallenWildcat
08-03-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by luvhoops34
Didn't Freddy Fender have a house on FM 624 in the Calallen area?

I'll search Nueces Appraisal District

Edit: Didn't find anything.

CalallenWildcat
08-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
According to this morning's CC Caller-Times, Freddy is living in CC. His wife asked that well-wishes be sent by e-mail. They had many unannounced visitors at the house yesterday after the article appeared and Freddy is weak & needs his rest.

Doesn't say he is living in CC. Just says that several people showed up to his house.

Phil C
08-03-2006, 11:22 AM
When someone is sick he/she needs the rest and visitors to a minimum such as very close friends and relatives. Most mean well but please do not disturb the person who is sick. When I had my surgery believe you me I needed rest and was not ready for company. So please let them get their rest unless you are an extremely close friend or relative.
I know when the great Tejano music singer Laural Canales was ill before she passed their were fans that disturbed her at the hospital which was a time she needed privacy and rest and it even once caused her to respond bad by a well meaning but pesty fan.
Please respect the family's request for privacy and rest. Prayers and well wishers through the email are the way to go.