PDA

View Full Version : Our schools suck (proof)

CenTexSports
08-02-2006, 08:38 AM
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2006/countylist.srch.html

Web site with just released ratings. More unacceptable schools than I thought there might be (I just checked Central Texas).

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
http://www.tea.state.tx.us/perfreport/account/2006/countylist.srch.html

Web site with just released ratings. More unacceptable schools than I thought there might be (I just checked Central Texas).

All schools in Midland County were academically acceptable or above......that's 43 schools.

STANG RED
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
Not too bad I guess

DISTRICT NAME: SWEETWATER ISD
DISTRICT NUMBER: 177902
ACCOUNTABILITY RATING:
Academically Acceptable

001 SWEETWATER H S
Academically Acceptable

003 HOBBS ALTER ED CO-OP
AEA: Academically Acceptable

041 SWEETWATER MIDDLE Recognized

101 COWEN ELEMENTARY
Not Rated: Other PK-K ONLY

102 EAST RIDGE EL Exemplary

104 SWEETWATER INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL Recognized

105 SOUTHEAST EL Exemplary

Number of Schools in District = 7

44INAROW
08-02-2006, 08:46 AM
From Victoria...........
012 MEMORIAL HIGH SCHOOL AcademicallyUnacceptable

042 PATTI WELDER MAGNET MIDDLE SCH
Academically Unacceptable

CenTexSports
08-02-2006, 08:47 AM
There are some really good ISD's and a few bad ones. But I think a school district that has only acceptable ratings at all schools sholud be very disappointed.

Remember the Hearne vs Mumford argument? All Hearne schools unacceptable, Mumford schools are recognized and better.

Adidas410s
08-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Not too bad I guess

ACCOUNTABILITY RATING:
Academically Acceptable

001 SWEETWATER H S
Academically Acceptable

003 HOBBS ALTER ED CO-OP

101 COWEN ELEMENTARY

Sweetwater did better than Snyder!!! :rolleyes: ;) http://dancehall.patgreen.com/membersOnly/lounge/phpbb/images/smiles/117.gif

DISTRICT NAME: SNYDER ISD
DISTRICT NUMBER: 208902
ACCOUNTABILITY RATING: Academically Acceptable

CAMPUS LIST (in campus number order)

CAMPUS RATING COMMENTS

001 SNYDER H S Academically Acceptable
002 HOBBS ALTER ED CO-OP AEA: Academically Acceptable
041 SNYDER J H Academically Acceptable
102 EAST EL Academically Acceptable
105 NORTHEAST EL Academically Acceptable
106 STANFIELD EL Academically Acceptable PAIRED WITH 102
107 WEST EL Academically Acceptable PAIRED WITH 102

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Sweetwater did better than Snyder!!! :rolleyes: ;)

Oh dear!!!:eek:

STANG RED
08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
There are some really good ISD's and a few bad ones. But I think a school district that has only acceptable ratings at all schools sholud be very disappointed.

I agree! Sadly, the schools can only do so much. If the parents arent doing their part, the school gets the blame for the poor performance, but in my view, the parents are much more to blame than the school. Unfortunately, it only takes a few very poorly performing students to drag a schools cumulative scores down, even if the majority are preforming well. I dont want to excuse poorly preforming schools at all, but the scoring system used to measure schools is very flawed.

Sweetwater Red
08-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

Anybody know where the high road is ? I need to take it. :D

Adidas410s
08-02-2006, 09:26 AM

I was searching a bunch of counties...and then when I searched Taylor I noticed that Abilene ISD was "unacceptable" at their JDC school...and it reminded me of the Snyder/Sweetwater jail talk...so naturally I pulled up both schools. And then I decided to give things a friendly poke! :thumbsup:

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
And then I decided to give things a friendly poke! :thumbsup:

Imagine that!!:doh:

KTJ
08-02-2006, 09:29 AM
It's not really that our schools suck. It's more along the lines that education in general sucks and people don't want to do anything to change that.

People are satisfied with the status quo of the education system.

CenTexSports
08-02-2006, 11:06 AM
I could accept these arguments if there were not a great many Recognized and better schools.

Having lived in Mississippi for ten years, I have seen the best and worst in school systems. I don't care what anybody says, the ethnic population percentages plays a huge roll in the quality of the school system. BUT PLEASE don't misinterprete this. The problem is NOT the intelligence of the students or their capacity to excel, it is the mindset of the community and of those running the programs. Many years of low expectations, few opportunities for graduates, and a history of poor performance make improvemnt difficult. And sure, the parents roll has some influence but it is the system that is critical to the success of the students.

I would bet that if you took Hearne students and put them in SLC they would perform at a greatly improved level. On the other side, if you took someone from SLC and put them in Hearne, you would see the opposite. I believe there has to be a better model for schools like Heare, taylor and others that continue to get unacceptable ratings.

Emerson1
08-02-2006, 11:09 AM
TAKS is the problem.

Blastoderm55
08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
TAKS is the problem.

Agreed 100%. The kids spend all year preparing for that pile of bunk. Even worse, this stale coursework leads to the wasted creative minds of talented teachers who end up leaving their jobs out of frustration.

neck_06
08-02-2006, 11:16 AM
All the schools in Brazoria County are academically acceptable or above.........83 schools!!!

STANG RED
08-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Agreed 100%. The kids spend all year preparing for that pile of bunk. Even worse, this stale coursework leads to the wasted creative minds of talented teachers who end up leaving their jobs out of frustration.

Very True!!!
But one of their main sources of frustration, is the sorry parenting job, many parents are doing at home. If parents arent doing their part, even the best of schools and teachers cant get through to some kids. It all has to start in the home!

Bandera YaYa
08-02-2006, 11:51 AM
I agree, parents are responsible for their kids.....and look how many kids are in trouble these days.....bad, bad parenting.....all the kids I see walking the streets, it's a shame.... :(

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I agree, parents are responsible for their kids.....and look how many kids are in trouble these days.....bad, bad parenting.....all the kids I see walking the streets, it's a shame.... :(

I know I should just keep my mouth shut....but I can't! Everything can't always be blamed on the parents! I have 3 kids....one of them is a troublemaker...he was was raised in the same house with the others.

He got in trouble, quit school...just been a thorn in my side for the past couple of years. He is 18 now, got his GED and looks to be turning himself around.

He wasn't raised or treated any different than the other 2 (or actually 4 if you count my step kids who lived there) so why did he take that path??

I get so sick of hearing bad parenting blamed on good parents who are at their wits end!

District303aPastPlayer
08-02-2006, 11:59 AM
duck.

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
duck.

There are a handful of posters on here who know the story about this...and know how worried sick I have been about him.

Several have given me their shoulder to cry on and lended a ear when I just needed to vent.

I have kept quiet for over a year even after reading post after post that pretty much says...if your child is a screw up, its your fault! You are a bad parent...shame on you!!!

KTJ
08-02-2006, 12:11 PM
There are a handful of posters on here who know the story about this...and know how worried sick I have been about him.

Several have given me their shoulder to cry on and lended a ear when I just needed to vent.

I have kept quiet for over a year even after reading post after post that pretty much says...if your child is a screw up, its your fault! You are a bad parent...shame on you!!!

I never knew that about one of your kids. I guess stuff just happens sometimes, ya know? There's no reasoning behind it. It just does.

:(

Bandera YaYa
08-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I know I should just keep my mouth shut....but I can't! Everything can't always be blamed on the parents! I have 3 kids....one of them is a troublemaker...he was was raised in the same house with the others.

He got in trouble, quit school...just been a thorn in my side for the past couple of years. He is 18 now, got his GED and looks to be turning himself around.

He wasn't raised or treated any different than the other 2 (or actually 4 if you count my step kids who lived there) so why did he take that path??

I get so sick of hearing bad parenting blamed on good parents who are at their wits end! Oh yeah I know that a troubled kid can have good parents....I'm talking about the parents that don't know where their kids are and don't care......that care only about themselves and are selfish and don't bother to give direction to their kids......sorry, should have made that clearer!!!!

Gobbla2001
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
I do not know if it was mentioned in the link anywhere, but I heard about it, and a lot of the newer schools added to the list from last year have taken in a large number of Katrina-folk...

It's really a bittersweet report... We did so good getting more schools this year at the highest level, yet more went down to the lowest than last year as well...

Gobbla2001
08-02-2006, 12:32 PM
All Cuero Schools:

Academically Chuck Norris

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2006, 12:58 PM

It all evens out in the end. Always happy to be there, because you've done the same for me. :cool: :kiss:

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
I never knew that about one of your kids. I guess stuff just happens sometimes, ya know? There's no reasoning behind it. It just does.

:(

LOL!! It's not something I wanna plaster all over a message board. He is doing lots better now, but we went through a "period" where I didn't know where he would end up.

pirate4state
08-02-2006, 01:14 PM

I get so sick of hearing bad parenting blamed on good parents who are at their wits end!

I'm glad to hear that your son appears to be turning himself around. I'd think you (general you) weren't normal if there wasn't a troublemaker in the family. ;) But that's just me. :D :smoker: HA/HA

AggieJohn
08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
all schools except cunningham middle and moody high were acceptable and better

Phantom Stang
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Not too bad I guess

ACCOUNTABILITY RATING:
Academically Acceptable

001 SWEETWATER H S
Academically Acceptable

003 HOBBS ALTER ED CO-OP

101 COWEN ELEMENTARY

Notice that both of Sweetwater's Elementary School's were rated Exemplary, which is the highest rating possible.

I believe that since kids seldom change parents as they move up through the grades...the corrective microscope should first be on the faculty of Sweetwater Intermediate, because that's where the initial drop in performance occurs.

CenTexSports
08-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I read an article the other day that was just the opposite of what YaYa said. The artical blamed child centered parenting on a wide variety of society's problems. To many kids being the center of the family experience. They get spoiled and begin tinking that everything is owed to them. I think there might be something to this.

And RM: I talked to a shrink on a plane one day about my oldest and he told me that at some point in a teenagers life his attitude and thought process gells (like when jello finally gets firm). He said that the things going on around them at the time can cause problems, such as the type of friends they have, family problems that might be happening at the time, or just confusion on their part. If this jelling take place at the wrong time it can cause much headache for good parents. My oldest is 26 and he is just now beginning to see the light. It has been a long, tough, and expensive road. I sympathize with you. Keep you head up and stay ornery.

Bandera YaYa
08-02-2006, 01:58 PM
I read an article the other day that was just the opposite of what YaYa said. The artical blamed child centered parenting on a wide variety of society's problems. To many kids being the center of the family experience. They get spoiled and begin tinking that everything is owed to them. I think there might be something to this.

And RM: I talked to a shrink on a plane one day about my oldest and he told me that at some point in a teenagers life his attitude and thought process gells (like when jello finally gets firm). He said that the things going on around them at the time can cause problems, such as the type of friends they have, family problems that might be happening at the time, or just confusion on their part. If this jelling take place at the wrong time it can cause much headache for good parents. My oldest is 26 and he is just now beginning to see the light. It has been a long, tough, and expensive road. I sympathize with you. Keep you head up and stay ornery. Well, I agree with that too...dang, guess us parents are damned if we do and damned if we don't!! Except I have to laugh at .."child centered parenting"...I mean, who else would we be parenting???? LOL , I know what they mean tho. It can be a fine line, for sure, but I see alot of kids that are getting into trouble because they have no--zero--parental influence in their lives.....guess we would all agree, that parenting is the hardest job of all!

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 02:02 PM

And RM: I talked to a shrink on a plane one day about my oldest and he told me that at some point in a teenagers life his attitude and thought process gells (like when jello finally gets firm). He said that the things going on around them at the time can cause problems, such as the type of friends they have, family problems that might be happening at the time, or just confusion on their part. If this jelling take place at the wrong time it can cause much headache for good parents. My oldest is 26 and he is just now beginning to see the light. It has been a long, tough, and expensive road. I sympathize with you. Keep you head up and stay ornery.

Thank you!! Things are looking up now and I am finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel (I have to be grateful to his girlfriend, she played a big part in this).

I am "ornery" anyway, no matter what!! I can tell you one thing though, this board has gone a long way in keeping me sane!

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2006, 02:02 PM
I see alot of kids that are getting into trouble because they have no--zero--parental influence in their lives.....
There's the lack of parental influence from those that couldn't care less, then there's the lack of parental influence from those that "want to be friends". IMO....

guess we would all agree, that parenting is the hardest job of all!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

fury900
08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
DISTRICT NAME: VERNON ISD
DISTRICT NUMBER: 244903
ACCOUNTABILITY RATING: Academically Acceptable

CAMPUS LIST (in campus number order)

CAMPUS RATING COMMENTS

001 VERNON H S Academically Acceptable
002 NORTH TEXAS STATE HOSPITAL - A AEA: Academically Acceptable
041 VERNON MIDDLE SCHOOL Academically Acceptable
101 CENTRAL EL Academically Acceptable
104 SHIVE EL Academically Acceptable
105 T G MCCORD EL Academically Acceptable PAIRED WITH 101

Number of Schools in District = 6

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
there's the lack of parental influence from those that "want to be friends". IMO....

I agree with that 100%...and that's one of the hardest lines to find!!

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2006, 02:13 PM
and that's one of the hardest lines to find!!
It's because with all the "drama", the line keeps moving. :D ;)

Ranger Mom
08-02-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
It's because with all the "drama", the line keeps moving. :D ;)

LoL...gotta hate the drama. I still have to laugh at the post Aggie John made the other day..."You're life is probably boring, but you make it SOUND interesting" (or something to that effect).

My only thought was..."If you ONLY knew"!!:D

CenTexSports
08-02-2006, 02:39 PM
I think my generation was the transition from old school to the child centered style of today. I am 52 and my dad was a strong handed; his way or the highway SOB (and still is). Even so, most families had cars, TV's were in every home, and we all became more mobile. Now, kids start sports at 3 or 4 years old and heaven forbid if they don't get to play in every acitivity. They all have their play stations, mp3 players, DVD players, and everything else you could ask for. Who can blame them for being spoiled? My wife spoiled ours and she regrets it all the time. I wish she had not given in to them as much as she did but oh well. I really should have beat her more.

Fal44
08-02-2006, 03:00 PM
All school in Brooks County are Academically Acceptable

Blastoderm55
08-02-2006, 03:04 PM
I really should have beat her more.

Alrighty then. :mad:

STANG RED
08-02-2006, 03:17 PM

Great parenting does not always guarantee great kids. I think we all realize that, and have seen all too many instances of it. I have a brother that is a prime example of that, even today. And he is 50 years old.
But bad parenting will almost always spawn bad kids, with only the very rare exception.
In the end, their is NO substitute for good parenting, even if it doesnt always work out well. Be thankful yours has seen the errors of his ways, and is turning the corner and coming back. At age 50, my brother is still a royal screw up, and I dont see him ever being any better. And my parents were, and still are the greatest parents in the world. I feel so sorry for them, for what my brother has put them through. Someday, I am afraid I will have had all I can take, and will rip his head off. The only reason I havent up until now, is because I know how bad it would hurt my mother. My dad on the other hand, would be cheering me on, I'm sure.

LH Panther Mom
08-02-2006, 03:22 PM
Great parenting does not always guarantee great kids. I think we all realize that, and have seen all too many instances of it. I have a brother that is a prime example of that, even today. And he is 50 years old.
But bad parenting will almost always spawn bad kids, with only the very rare exception.
In the end, their is NO substitute for good parenting, even if it doesnt always work out well. Be thankful yours has seen the errors of his ways, and is turning the corner and coming back. At age 50, my brother is still a royal screw up, and I dont see him ever being any better. And my parents were, and still are the greatest parents in the world. I feel so sorry for them, for what my brother has put them through. Someday, I am afraid I will have had all I can take, and will rip his head off. The only reason I havent up until now, is because I know how bad it would hurt my mother. My dad on the other hand, would be cheering me on, I'm sure.
:eek: I could have said those exact same words about my soon-to-be 45 year old brother (and our parents).

footballgal
08-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Cameron County (La Feria ISD) was acceptable.

My daughter was Recognized, however, I personally have a problem with the school's curriculum, ALL based on how to take and pass these tests. My daughter’s in elementary and during the whole entire school year, all school and homework is based on these test. Only time it's not, is until the last few weeks of the school year, when the TAKS/TEKS has been taken.