PDA

View Full Version : THSCA Game Summary

44INAROW
08-02-2006, 07:23 AM
The Victoria Advocate - http://TheVictoriaAdvocate.com
Rudd, Hagens help spark South squad
MIKE FORMAN - Advocate Sports Writer
Wednesday, August 2, 2006

AUSTIN - Humble's Jerrod Johnson didn't have earth-shattering numbers, but he was more than effective.
The Texas A&M signee threw for four touchdowns to lead the South to a 30-20 win over the North in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star football game Tuesday night at Royal-Memorial Stadium.

Johnson completed 10 of 18 passes for 188 yards and tied an all-star game record with his four touchdown throws. He also rushed 18 times for 41 yards, while wrapping up offensive MVP honors as the South rallied from a third-quarter deficit.

"Did we throw the ball?" South coach George Harris of Gregory-Portland asked. "I wonder what the people in Refugio think about that. Jerrod played a great game. He had a great week of practice. He's a coach's son, he loves the game, and he loves the Aggies."

The South defense helped limit the North to 206 total yards and forced four turnovers, including an interception, a forced interception, a forced fumble, and a blocked extra point by Austin McCallum's Broderick Marshall, the defensive MVP.

"That was the most fun I've had in a long time," said Cuero defensive end J.T. Rudd, who had a number of quarterback pressures despite not being able to blitz. "I think we shut them down. They never really got going or got any momentum. I'm going to remember this for a long time.'

Johnson put the South on top to stay with his third touchdown pass, a 27-yarder to San Antonio Madison's Chris Caflisch with 10:55 left in the fourth quarter and completed the scoring with an 11-yard pass to Brenham's Gary Ragston with 7:17 remaining.

"This was a great experience," said Shiner's Dylan Hagens, who started at right guard. "I definitely got used to playing with a lot of great people."

The South took a 16-7 lead on a 62-yard pass from Johnson to Flour Bluff's Andre McCorkle with 9:54 left in the third quarter.

But the North pulled within two points two plays after South punter Hunter Lawrence was tackled on the1-yard line after a bad snap.

North quarterback Nathan Tune of Celina scored the touchdown with 6:05 remaining in the third quarter.

The North took a 20-16 lead on a 29-yard pass from Tune to Southlake Carroll with 2:26 to go in the third quarter.

Neither team had much success moving the ball in the first half. The North managed 78 total yards and the South had 62.

The difference was a safety on a bad snap during a North punt attempt that sent the South to the locker room with a 9-7 lead.

The North scored on its first possession on a 14-yard pass from Ennis' Clark Harrell to Pflugerville's Antwan Cobb. Miles' George Shamblen kicked the extra point with 6:27 remaining in the first quarter.

The South scored on a 25-yard pass from Johnson to Newton's Toddrick Penland. Lawrence added the game-tying extra point with 6:02 left in the second quarter.

Phil C
08-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Good job by the South and Coach Harris. Good job by both teams. The Aggies got a steal in QB Johnson. Of course they may have a QB controversy which is a problem I am sure they are delighted to have. From what I heard Johnson isn't a fast runner but has a great arm and of course we know McGee can run after the UT vs A&M game last year. I think McGee will be able to pass well if he is given the chance because he did do a good job in HS.
But overall it looks like Aggieland will have good qbs the next several years.

Fletch
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Good job by Nathan Tune of Celina also.:p

District303aPastPlayer
08-02-2006, 12:57 PM
what is up with his Refugio comment?

Maroon87
08-02-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
what is up with his Refugio comment?

Probably because when he coached Refugio they ran the wing-T, just like G-P up until this season.