PDA

View Full Version : Smoking Ban in Beaumont!!!

neck_06
08-01-2006, 12:22 PM
City Council in Beaumont, Texas voted in favor of a smoking ban in Beaumont a few months ago. The ban became effective today, August 1st. The puishment for getting caught smoking in Beaumont is a $500 fine for the first offense, and they are talking about making the second offense a 30 day jail sentence.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

AggieJohn
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
like smoking period?

Ranger Mom
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
In public??

In your front/back yard?

In your house?

pirate44
08-01-2006, 12:27 PM
banning it in the whole city??!!! thats against the law. maybe just in public places?
theyre trying to extend the ban in Corpus. they already outlawed smoking in restaurants

LH Panther Mom
08-01-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
In public??

In your front/back yard?

In your house?
In the boys' room? ;)

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Like I said in regards to Victoria banning their smoking even in bars... They need to buy the ash trays from these places, need to offer money to bars etc... who cannot afford to compete with bars etc... who already have respectable outside smoking facilities, and need to pay off bars etc... that are locked in shopping centers etc... because they cannot build respectable outside smoking facilities and will lose money to bars etc... that will have them...

My mother has asthma, and I understand people not wanting to smell smoke... BUT, H.E.B. is smoke-free, get off your lazy but and cook some food (not you mom) :D

pirate44
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
i hate dirty butts as much as the next person, but banning it seems a little outrageous

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i hate dirty butts as much as the next person, but banning it seems a little outrageous

Of course it is... basically the city is telling the owners of these places that they can't let their friends (customers whatever) smoke at the place THEY OWN...

I understand the health department being able to run things because we have no clue what goes on behind those closed doors... But you know when a place allows smoking or not...

I smoke, yes, but I don't HAVE to smoke when I'm eating, but I DO want to smoke when I'm drinking... but all of that to the side, I don't HAVE to smoke... BUTTTTTTTT, the owners should allow what they will... you do not NEED to go in their place... and if you do, it should be up to the owners as to whether you smell smoke or not...

A guy who owns a place in Victoria doesn't allow smoking at his place at all... But when the ban was proposed he was totally against it... I liked that, because he understands that ownership is being taken away here... Basically they've come into the owner's house and told them how to run their house...

wos fan1
08-01-2006, 12:47 PM
No just in Public places, which includes bars!

KindaCool
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
all you have to do to get around the ban is make your establishment a private club, and in order to eat/buy drinks in there, you have to have a paid membership - you just make the annual fees $1

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by KindaCool
all you have to do to get around the ban is make your establishment a private club, and in order to eat/buy drinks in there, you have to have a paid membership - you just make the annual fees $1

Hmmm...

shankbear
08-01-2006, 01:02 PM
The biggest stink is in the Crockett Street entertainment district. The Dixie and Antones are hit the worse. There is a petition drive going to bring it up on the ballot in November.

Emerson1
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Good, people can get cancer in the privacy of their own home.

luvhoops34
08-01-2006, 02:40 PM
I think it's great!! I'm tired of being exposed to second hand smoke. Maybe this will help people see that by smoking, it's extremely offensive to others.

KingRob
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
I just hate city governments telling business owners how to run their business. If you know smoking is allowed in a certain establishment,and you don't like it , then don't patronize that business. Tobacco is a legal product, a heavily taxed product. It's a fine line when cities start telling you how to run your business. If you don't like it, don't work or visit this place. It seems as though the baby boomers have become who they once despised. Personally, I like to smoke when I'm drinking a beer and playing pool after a hards day work. It's rare, and people usually say they didn't know I smoked. But hey, it's usually in a bar; not in the sports section at Wally world. We are adults, no?

sinton66
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I can understand the ban in restaraunts. I've smoked a looooong time, and I can understand people's objections to it while they're eating. Even in restaraunts that allow smoking, I get up and go outside. However, there is NO justification for getting in somebody's face about smoking outside in the open air. If you're bothered by it, move upwind.

Comeaux
08-01-2006, 09:13 PM
I can understand how the smokers feel. The people in Beaumont won't let me take a dump on the table when I finish eating. They just don't understand that it really helps me relax and it releives stress from a hard days work. I just don't understand it is my business and I am not hurting anyone but myself. If I fall of of the table I am the only one that will get hurt. Me and all of my friends, that also like to crap on the table, are just going to go to another town or join a priviate club where they allow crapping on the table.

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
Crapping on the table requires indecent exposure, which is against the law, smart-butt (pick a better one)...

However. smoking is not against the law, and if you do not like smelling second hand smoke, don't go to that place...

Going out to eat, going out to drink and going out to lounge is NOT a need...

Sure, it's easy and fun, but you do not NEED it...

as I said, HEB is smoke free, the liquor stores I have been in are smoke free... you do not HAVE to go out to eat, you do not HAVE to go out and drink... if that owner says you can smoke at THEIR place that they have invested THEIR time and money in, you should be able to...

Second hand smoke may kill, I'll agree with you there... But you do not HAVE to intake second hand smoke, you can grill your own steaks and burgers, fry your own damn fries and mix your own drinks in your own house where you do not allow smoke...

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Good, people can get cancer in the privacy of their own home.

Until it is illegal they should be able to :D

They'll have a cure within the next 10 years anyway ha (I keep telling myself)...

sinton66
08-01-2006, 09:55 PM
You'll see the day when THIRD hand smoke might become the most dangerous.;)

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
You'll see the day when THIRD hand smoke might become the most dangerous.;)

Or the day when you can't play Rock Music in a certain city because it offends customers....

Rock music may not be the best example, but the fact is it is legal as is smoking... second hand smoke doesn't kill unless you put yourself in its environment... AKA: You are responsible for your own actions... leave or don't go....

Phantom Stang
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Comeaux
I can understand how the smokers feel. The people in Beaumont won't let me take a dump on the table when I finish eating. They just don't understand that it really helps me relax and it releives stress from a hard days work. I just don't understand it is my business and I am not hurting anyone but myself. If I fall of of the table I am the only one that will get hurt. Me and all of my friends, that also like to crap on the table, are just going to go to another town or join a priviate club where they allow crapping on the table.
I find it remarkable, that city governments bend to the whims of a handfull sophmoric jackasses, who talk this way on a message board, to try and prove their point.

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
I find it remarkable, that city governments bend to the whims of a handfull sophmoric jackasses, who talk this way on a message board, to try and prove their point.

The fact is that they ended up proving their point....

Point being: They crap on tables

Phantom Stang
08-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
The fact is that they ended up proving their point....

Point being: They crap on tables
LMAO. And then they whine and cry when they're within 20 feet of someone enjoying a smoke.:smoker:

Phantom Stang
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
For the record, I encourage all youth, as well as adults to NOT take up smoking!!

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Phantom Stang
LMAO. And then they whine and cry when they're within 20 feet of someone enjoying a smoke.:smoker:

Well I've always been a respectful smoker...

There's this Chinese place in Victoria that really kicks butt... bad thing about it is that the smoking section is RIGHT BY the buffet... last time I checked it wasn't a "Smokers Buffet" so I never smoked at that place...

Encouraging these places to have more respectful smoking sections etc... is about as far as these cities should go...

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I will agree 123123% with the ordinances banning smoking within 20 feet of entrances etc... I never have smoked infront of an entrance... I like that one...

Bandera YaYa
08-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I say burn down all the cig factories....then none of this would be an issue!! You guys that smoke ARE addicted.....I just love it when a smoker says he doesn't HAVE to smoke....yeah you do.....come on now, you sound like you are trying to convince me of that fact.....ha, you know you can't stop!!! But you should!!!! Think about your grandkids and your future spouses!! Kick that bad habit!!!! It's nasty!!!!

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
I say burn down all the cig factories....then none of this would be an issue!! You guys that smoke ARE addicted.....I just love it when a smoker says he doesn't HAVE to smoke....yeah you do.....come on now, you sound like you are trying to convince me of that fact.....ha, you know you can't stop!!! But you should!!!! Think about your grandkids and your future spouses!! Kick that bad habit!!!! It's nasty!!!!

I'm addicted, I admit it... but when I'm around family or out to eat I don't have to smoke... I can wait until afterwards :D

Drinking effects your liver, it's a poison... but a lot of folks for this smoking ban drink like trains.... and according to statistics their driving kills more than second hand smoke does...

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:26 PM
I'm addicted, I admit it... but when I'm around family or out to eat I don't have to smoke... I can wait until afterwards :D

Drinking effects your liver, it's a poison... but a lot of folks for this smoking ban drink like trains.... and according to statistics their driving kills more than second hand smoke does...

Okay, I drink a lot too, so maybe that wasn't that great of an example...

Bandera YaYa
08-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Okay, I drink a lot too, so maybe that wasn't that great of an example... Ha...guess not......I agree both are bad for ya!! Repent and give your lungs and liver a break!!! You do know, you only have one of each......there ain't no backup ones in you!! You ruin them and it's not too good for ya! :D

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:31 PM
All in all, this really has nothing to do with me being a smoker, it's the simple fact that business owners are losing owernship of their businesses... these bans are just one step in many to come in this country headed straight toword communism...

Gobbla2001
08-01-2006, 10:32 PM
Ha...guess not......I agree both are bad for ya!! Repent and give your lungs and liver a break!!! You do know, you only have one of each......there ain't no backup ones in you!! You ruin them and it's not too good for ya! :D

you're not lyin'...

Phantom Stang
08-01-2006, 10:34 PM
You'll never hear ME say that I'm not addicted to tobacco.;)
Like I said earlier; If you don't smoke, DON'T START!!:mad:

sahen
08-01-2006, 10:37 PM
i despise smoking, i hate it when people do it around me, esp. when im eating cause it makes me sick, when i go into a bar i have to leave every once and a while to get fresh air or i get sick....that said, i think this ban is ridiculous, as long as smoking is legal then it should be ok to do it in public places, esp. bars...resturants i can understand banning it unless if they have a ventalation system that will suck the smoke out (this is what baytown has)....but in bars, gee people, when u go to a bar and dont expect people to be smoking thats just kinda odd, its part of being in a bar...

Comeaux
08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Crapping on the table requires indecent exposure, which is against the law, smart-butt (pick a better one)...

However. smoking is not against the law, and if you do not like smelling second hand smoke, don't go to that place...

Going out to eat, going out to drink and going out to lounge is NOT a need...

Sure, it's easy and fun, but you do not NEED it...

as I said, HEB is smoke free, the liquor stores I have been in are smoke free... you do not HAVE to go out to eat, you do not HAVE to go out and drink... if that owner says you can smoke at THEIR place that they have invested THEIR time and money in, you should be able to...

Second hand smoke may kill, I'll agree with you there... But you do not HAVE to intake second hand smoke, you can grill your own steaks and burgers, fry your own damn fries and mix your own drinks in your own house where you do not allow smoke...

I certainly don't want to break the law. I will just have to take my stuff in in a bag or wear baggy shorts so I can get it out without exposing myself. After all I do have a smart butt.

You brought up a good point Goobbla. I will tell the complainers that they don't NEED to go out and eat they can eat in their back yard.

Bandera YaYa
08-01-2006, 10:46 PM
All in all, this really has nothing to do with me being a smoker, it's the simple fact that business owner's are losing owernship of their businesses... these bans are just one step in many to come in this country headed straight toword communism... I think it's a issue of health and I applaud any gov't for trying to make our air safer and our environment better......I have always thought, if people make such bad decisions as to smoke, then yes maybe they do need someone to make it harder for them to do so...it's all about health in my eyes.....AND I am so sick of seeing cig butts all over the ground...I mean what right do you smokers have to toss one out your window onto the pavement or smash one out on the sidewalks????? Pet peeve of mine..I mean kill yourselves if you must, but do yo have to leave behind your trash??? Grrrrrrrr :mad: AND, a bigger pet peeve is seeing Phillip Morris commercials on tv, telling kids not to get started smoking....blah blah blah...if they REALLY cared, JUST STOP MAKING THE DARN THINGS!!!! LIARS!!!! :mad: :D ...luv ya Gobbla, but you do need to stop smoking!!!!!! :kiss:

Phantom Stang
08-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Comeaux
I certainly don't want to break the law. I will just have to take my stuff in in a bag or wear baggy shorts so I can get it out without exposing myself. After all I do have a smart butt.

I hear Depends work pretty good!